FORUMS

[HOWTO] Chromecast Mirroring (screen mirroring)

221 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By the_mentor, Senior Member on 27th July 2013, 04:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone,
So I got my Google Chromecast today and after a bit of messing around I found this cool neat feature that allows you to mirror your entire display to the chromecast device.

This is how you do it.

1) In Google chrome browser on your computer click the Google cast extension and then click the little arrow in the extension and select "cast entire screen (experimental) I've attached a screenshot.

2) after completing step one select your chromecast device and walla you see your screen on your TV

This seems to be an experimental feature so let me know how it works for you, so far I've tested it on my Linux Mint 15 laptop and it works nicely there is a minor delay but at least its something
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the_mentor For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift the_mentor Ad-Free
27th July 2013, 05:43 AM |#2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 150

Donate to Me
More
Nice Find!!

It would be great if the audio also worked it streams xbmc great but not audio
27th July 2013, 05:59 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
FYI: Need Chrome Beta for this to show.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ctbaker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ctbaker Ad-Free
27th July 2013, 06:52 AM |#4  
Flag NY
Thanks Meter: 926

Donate to Me
More
This is really cool, nice find.
I hope audio works through this in the future!
27th July 2013, 05:04 PM |#5  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Make video please
27th July 2013, 06:27 PM |#6  
Flag Somewhere in Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 242

More
Chrome beta allows you to shoot to your tv? I am looking for the option but dont see it !
27th July 2013, 06:34 PM |#7  
Flag LA
Thanks Meter: 111

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower1972

Chrome beta allows you to shoot to your tv? I am looking for the option but dont see it !

Do you see the arrow in the upper right corner when you press the chromecast button in chrome?
The Following User Says Thank You to booked For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift booked Ad-Free
27th July 2013, 06:43 PM |#8  
Flag Somewhere in Wisconsin
Thanks Meter: 242

More
lol my TV IS my computer monitor actually. I just use the Chromecast for when I dont want to start up my pc ,,,but I will check shortly
The Following User Says Thank You to Tower1972 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tower1972 Ad-Free
27th July 2013, 06:43 PM |#9  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 57

More
You can cast just audio from that menu too.
27th July 2013, 07:06 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
How good is the screen mirroring? If it works well with no lag, I may use this to cast some PC games to the TV!
27th July 2013, 07:35 PM |#11  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can.I.Haz.Jelly.Bean?

How good is the screen mirroring? If it works well with no lag, I may use this to cast some PC games to the TV!

Have yet to try a game but there is definitely lag, (~ a half a second?) just scrolling the web page but audio is good, video is good, and the audio/video sync seems to be fine.

Right now I'm casting Google Play Music from my average, 1 year old, Toshiba laptop, to my cheap-ass, Insignia TV, listening to Taj Mahal tear-up the guitar.

Life Is Good!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)