FORUMS

[Q] Can TWRP use the backups from CWM ?

323 posts
Thanks Meter: 31

By hajkan, Senior Member on 29th July 2013, 03:15 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi
I am thinking to swtich to TWRP and I have some past CWM backup. So I want to make sure that I can use my past backups with the new manager.

thanks
29th July 2013, 03:25 AM |#2  
Flag monument
Thanks Meter: 64

More
I don't think it works like that
But you can use titanium backup and backup every thing there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
1st August 2013, 07:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajkan

Hi
I am thinking to swtich to TWRP and I have some past CWM backup. So I want to make sure that I can use my past backups with the new manager.

thanks

They are definitely NOT compatible. You cannot use your CWM backups with TWRP, unfortunately. You could, however, flash your recovery back to CWM when needed. It's not like going to TWRP is one-way, with no way back to CWM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hondoslack For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hondoslack Ad-Free
4th August 2013, 04:58 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
go twrp all the way. why would you want old backups? just create new one to be safe with twrp after you flash recovery.
5th August 2013, 05:49 AM |#5  
Flag Tennessee
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajkan

Hi

thanks

Nope...each are only compatible with its files. Why are you moving to TWRP...just curious?
9th August 2013, 01:35 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Question Kinda related ...
Is it possible to have CWM as the recovery boot option **and** TWRP as the alternate recovery boot option? I think I could rename a few files uRecImg and uAltImg (or similar) on my nook Color, but I have yet to see something similar for the HD+.

Thanks in advance!

-SUO
9th August 2013, 01:59 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3,882

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUOrangeman

Is it possible to have CWM as the recovery boot option **and** TWRP as the alternate recovery boot option? I think I could rename a few files uRecImg and uAltImg (or similar) on my nook Color, but I have yet to see something similar for the HD+.

Thanks in advance!

-SUO

No, it does not work that way on the HD/HD+. You must choose one or the other.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
19th November 2013, 08:45 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Wink the answer
Hi ive found out how to do it as I had same prob. Its an apk called nandroid manager.. just play with setting an add twrp or cwm as a source folder and you can restore like that..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsimmons87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrsimmons87 Ad-Free
31st August 2014, 01:20 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Reason for Choosing TWRP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvschnk

Nope...each are only compatible with its files. Why are you moving to TWRP...just curious?

I would like to respond, i have tried all variants of CWM available for my Xolo Q700, and TWRP i would choose only because it gives you an option to see how much space you actually need on the SD card and how much you have.

with CWM the availabel space in storage is shown but after waiting 10-15minutes for all data to be backed up, you end up getting an error message 2.5GB of free space wasnt enough. it tries to save each data file one by one and after all space is taken up, it fails

please correct me if there is an update to CWM which attends to this issue.

being a newbie to rooted phone flashing (i started playing around just about an year back and i am now in a position to root, unroot or unbrick few phones....)

other than that, i would like to choose cwm because i see more development there than TWRP...

and CTR v2.4 though it uses CWM 6.0.4 , an older version, seems to be good with full touch control and optional aroma file manager...
1st September 2014, 09:37 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3,882

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshontheweb

I would like to respond, i have tried all variants of CWM available for my Xolo Q700, and TWRP i would choose only because it gives you an option to see how much space you actually need on the SD card and how much you have.

with CWM the availabel space in storage is shown but after waiting 10-15minutes for all data to be backed up, you end up getting an error message 2.5GB of free space wasnt enough. it tries to save each data file one by one and after all space is taken up, it fails

please correct me if there is an update to CWM which attends to this issue.

Each device is different and requires different amounts of space to back up the device. Also it depends on how many apps you have installed. It could be that 2.5GB was not enough for your Xolo.

Both TWRP and CWM save the data files one by one, but both also compress them into archive files for each partition. The only difference between the two is TWRP predicts how much space is needed and CWM does not. I don't think there are any plans to change that.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift leapinlar Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)