FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[noJailbreak,APP] Always-on mode - running desktop program with screen turned off

194 posts
Thanks Meter: 19

By hisoft, Senior Member on 1st August 2013, 10:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Thank to lloydo in Halite thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1&postcount=18
As we know. Windows RT just suspend desktop program while it in sleep mode. Then we have to turn screen on all time that we running desktop program even some program favor to run when screen off (like Halite, Free Download Manager, CoolPlayer, TightVNC server or listen Youtube with desktop Internet Explorer). But Thank for lloydo help. Now we can turn screen off by a little config and flip a Surface RT cover.

I made a .bat file that done the config. What you have to do is run it and flip the cover.
This what each .bat file will do
- Always-on mode - This one turn Always-on mode on and pause. Press anykey afterthat to turn it off. Leave the window open to notice you Always-on mode is still turned on.
- start Always-on mode - This one only turn Always-on mode on and exit. If you want to turn if off you need the next file. (or manual config)
- stop Always-on mode - This one use for turn Always-on mode off.

To make sure it no risk. I will show the step in .bat file to config when turn on.
- Start Presentation mode (made device never goto sleep after a time)
- Change what closing the lid does to "Do nothing" for both AC and DC (made device not sleep when flip the cover. you can delete DC line if you want)
- Re-activate power plan (made device apply change in 2nd step)

And when turn if off
- Change what closing the lid does to "Sleep" for both AC and DC (you can delete DC line if you want)
- Re-activate power plan
- Stop Presentation mode

Currently this were only confirm on Surface RT but you can try it on other device (that can turn screen off with cover or lid) without risk. Please confirm this work if you try on other device.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Always-on mode.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.1 KB, 443 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hisoft For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hisoft Ad-Free

1st August 2013, 11:30 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Keen to try this - looks useful.

shame im at work at the mo
2nd August 2013, 08:47 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hisoft -- great job! I tried making a separate power profile to do the same thing but switching between them was a pain. This works much better, thanks!
2nd August 2013, 02:17 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydo

Hisoft -- great job! I tried making a separate power profile to do the same thing but switching between them was a pain. This works much better, thanks!

Yeah, I have a same problem on my laptop with 3 power profile (that frequently use). It not only when I have to switching between them, but also for when I have to change something I have to do it and do it again for all profile.
5th September 2013, 06:35 PM |#5  
Flag Cologne
Thanks Meter: 533

More
Hey thank you soo much for sharing this
I first was afraid of, that the Screen would be still on when closing lid, and therefore the battery drain would be horrorable, But doing this is INDEED what I needed: Playing Music with "CoolPlayer" and then Close the cover: Music is still plaýing and the Screen is off!
Wonderful!
8th September 2013, 05:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Great job
looks useful
thx
15th September 2013, 08:08 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Tank you Guy ! I love This Tools for my downloads...
17th September 2013, 06:30 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Does this also work on Windows 8?

When my htpc screen locks all the apps go into powersafe mode. So for example the sound from IE stops playing.
18th September 2013, 05:07 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfair

Does this also work on Windows 8?

When my htpc screen locks all the apps go into powersafe mode. So for example the sound from IE stops playing.

Sure. This can work on Windows 8, 8.1, RT and RT 8.1. Maybe also on Windows Vista and 7 but I don't have one for test.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)