FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router?

6 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By choosetoride, Junior Member on 1st August 2013, 07:13 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Can I control Chromecast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

1st August 2013, 07:27 PM |#2  
Flag North East, MD
Thanks Meter: 853

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosetoride

Can I control Chromcast with my phone without a wifi router? I would like to be able to use just a tv, chromecast, and my phone to stream from my phone. Does anyone know if this is possible or if it will be? I tried downloading a rented movie from Google movie and turn the router off at my house. I tried to stream, but it failed for two reasons. Google movies won't let you stream downloaded movies and Chromecast won't work without my router on. Did I do something wrong here or am I missing something? I would prefer to be able to rely on my phone's data and downloaded files. Doesn't anyone think this would be possible with Chromecast? I guess I'm ultimately looking for portability without the internet.

I'm pretty sure your phone/tablet/laptop need to be on the same subnet as the device so it can be found to cast to, hence the need to have everything on the same wifi router.
The Following User Says Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mjones73 Ad-Free
1st August 2013, 08:04 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
I think that you can tether it to your phone. You select which wi-fi network the Chromecast joins using the Chromecast app, so no reason that you couldn't enter your phone's wi-fi network.
1st August 2013, 08:34 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 71

More
I think the salient point from the above answers is that Chromecast seems to need an Internet connection for some things (like youtube). For Web pages the Windows chrome browser sends the content to Chromecast but other times (YouTube) it's pulling content itself from the Internet.

Once Koush's app is out hopefully you'll be able to stream more content right to your phone, so a peer to peer network might work better

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to DogzOfWar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DogzOfWar Ad-Free
1st August 2013, 09:10 PM |#5  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V

I think that you can tether it to your phone. You select which wi-fi network the Chromecast joins using the Chromecast app, so no reason that you couldn't enter your phone's wi-fi network.

You could, but remember that Casting from your phone, computer, etc removes that device from being in the middle, and the Chromecast does the heavy lifting of grabbing the requested stream from the internet and playing it on-screen. Your phone's WiFi may be sufficient, but remember you're going to be pulling HD data over the cellular connection, and that'll probably be jerky and buffer a lot. It was neat to cast a netflix item from my phone and turn my phone OFF while it was still playing (and didn't skip a beat) to verify it wasn't using my phone for anything.
2nd August 2013, 06:50 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FractalSphere

You could, but remember that Casting from your phone, computer, etc removes that device from being in the middle, and the Chromecast does the heavy lifting of grabbing the requested stream from the internet and playing it on-screen. Your phone's WiFi may be sufficient, but remember you're going to be pulling HD data over the cellular connection, and that'll probably be jerky and buffer a lot. It was neat to cast a netflix item from my phone and turn my phone OFF while it was still playing (and didn't skip a beat) to verify it wasn't using my phone for anything.

Good point. The handoff is amazing. I just would like the option for when I'm somewhere with no internet. In my opinion, this could be a huge deal breaker for a lot of people. Why make it so small, if it's not meant to be taken everywhere? But, who knows. From my perspective, it goes right back to the DRM issue with Xbox. I buy or rent all of the media I watch, but forcing me to be online anytime I want to view it is just controlling. It removes value.
2nd August 2013, 07:08 PM |#7  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by choosetoride

Good point. The handoff is amazing. I just would like the option for when I'm somewhere with no internet. In my opinion, this could be a huge deal breaker for a lot of people. Why make it so small, if it's not meant to be taken everywhere? But, who knows. From my perspective, it goes right back to the DRM issue with Xbox. I buy or rent all of the media I watch, but forcing me to be online anytime I want to view it is just controlling. It removes value.

I would tether or use one of those mobile hotspots (I don't have one, but might if I traveled extensively) and stream that way at a hotel or even someone elses house.

Ohh, which begs the question, can the Chromecast store more than one Wifi configuration? I don't think the software can do that at the moment.. Would be VERY convenient to travel to known locations back and forth.

As for direct streaming of local video, i was able to stream MP4 files no problem using a Chrome browser tab. The computer doing the rendering needs to be a higher-end PC, though - right now I have a older 'media PC' set up that my Xbox plays DLNA from and it's just a glorified storage device, it didn't want to render those videos well at all. So if you have a decent laptop, and get Connectify (free PC software that makes your laptop a hotspot) you can stream to the Chromecast directly while out at a remote location.
2nd August 2013, 10:15 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I believe the ad-hoc wireless functionality was only meant to facilitate initial setup, not to be a content streaming solution.

Plus, I doubt your phone would be able to handle the computing stress required to cast content directly to the Chromecast.
10th August 2013, 11:13 PM |#9  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberek

I believe the ad-hoc wireless functionality was only meant to facilitate initial setup, not to be a content streaming solution.

Plus, I doubt your phone would be able to handle the computing stress required to cast content directly to the Chromecast.

I stream HD Netflix from my phone's hotspot, perfect. I play my xbox online with parties using my hotpsot...perfect.

My down speeds are better than most peoples ISP down speeds so I don't see this being an issue.

The Xbox Smartglass app works from my phone while my phone is giving my Xbox internet so I don't see why the Chromecast wouldn't be able to work either.

I emailed Google about this because I honestly don't see the problem.
12th August 2013, 04:57 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreezy

I stream HD Netflix from my phone's hotspot, perfect. I play my xbox online with parties using my hotpsot...perfect.

My down speeds are better than most peoples ISP down speeds so I don't see this being an issue.

The Xbox Smartglass app works from my phone while my phone is giving my Xbox internet so I don't see why the Chromecast wouldn't be able to work either.

I emailed Google about this because I honestly don't see the problem.

let me know if you get a reply because i want to do the same thing but apparently this is the reason why it doesn't work

http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...ion-issue.html

seems like if you can disable ap isolation then it would fix it but i'm not sure how you'd do that
12th August 2013, 12:20 PM |#11  
Flag SF Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_V

I tried doing this on my Galaxy Note II (Sprint) using WiFi tether. I was able to get it an IP and connect to the network, but it wasn't pushing the DNS info (ie wasn't getting an internet connection). Unfortunately, WiFi tether can be limited in the it's settings and CC has only a few.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, you are unable to store multiple networks on the CC. I don't believe it was designed for that much portability. I happen to have a laptop with me and was able to do the setup. Since I wasn't able to get an internet connect, I wasn't able to test if I could cast from the GN2. My expectation is most likely not. But I had a tablet with me too, and would have tested it with that.

As for how it would preform, I assume for Netflix and application with CC extension built in, no problem. Trying to cast a Chrome tab, that could be iffy since it would depend on well WiFi tether can handle the that much traffic and the PC.

I haven't fiddled with it since then. But it's definitely possible with some tweaks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)