FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Update Nexus 7 to 4.3 from 4.2.2 (root + unlocked bootloader) KEEP DATA

171 posts
Thanks Meter: 68

By ShadowOf, Senior Member on 3rd August 2013, 06:01 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
My Nexus 7 [WiFi] was rooted on 4.2.2, unlocked bootloader, but stock rom, stock system (as far as I remember). I couldn't find a walkthrough so I'll make one with my experience.

I found a walkthrough for Nexus 4, so minus the download packages and the radio img it was the same. This worked for me on my mac, I hope this helps you.

In the end I didn't lose any data, still have unlocked bootloader and rooted with CWM Touch Recovery & SuperSU (you can replace with TWRP)

Directions ("XXX/" = file path to platform-tools folder)

1. You must have Android SDK installed. Download it here: http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html.
2. UNZIP and you will see a bunch of folders. The one we are interested in is the subfolder "platform-tools". You may copy it to an easier location if you want.
3. Download the factory image 4.3 for your Nexus 7: https://developers.google.com/androi.../images#nakasi (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
4. Unzip the 4.3 image file you downloaded and copy all its content to your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
5. Plug your Nexus 7 into your computer with USB debugging (activate it in "About Phone" and touch "Build number" 6 times, it will activate a "Developer Options" menu where you will be able to activate "USB debugging")
6. Verify ADB is working. Open a terminal and type "XXX/adb devices"
7. Reboot your device into fastboot mode: type in terminal "XXX/adb reboot-bootloader"
8. Type:
"XXX/fastboot flash bootloader XXX/bootloader-grouper-4.23.img" (img name depends on your build)
9. If you have "WiFi Only" skip to step 10; for Mobile/GSM flash radio type:
"XXX/fastboot reboot-bootloader"
"XXX/fastboot flash radio XXX/radio-tilapia-1231_0.18.0_0409.img" (img name depends on your build)
10. Type:
"XXX/fastboot reboot-bootloader"
"XXX/fastboot update XXX/image-nakasi-jwr66v.zip" (zip name depends on your build)

It will then reboot (takes a while) and then you will be in Android 4.3 with all your data preserved.

Then if you want to root:

1. On your computer, download CWM or TWRP recovery from here: CWM Dwnld or TWRP Dwnld (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
2. Place the image file you downloaded in your "platform-tools" folder (where adb and fastboot are).
3. Connect your Nexus 7 (debug mode) and put it in fastboot mode (step 7 above)
4. In the terminal type: "XXX/fastboot flash recovery XXX/FILENAME.img (replace FILENAME by the file name of the CWM/TWRP file you just downloaded)
5. Reboot your device
6. Download directly to your device the most recent SuperSU file: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
7. Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select
8. Once you are in recovery mode select "Install ZIP", look for SuperSU file you just downloaded and follow instructions to flash the zip file.
9. Reboot your device

That's it!

Thanks to jipi: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2377691

Already updated to 4.3 and have an OTA notificaion? (JWR66Y from JWR66V)
Here is the easy, no-nonsense way of installing the OTA on Nexus 7, no PC or cables needed.

NOTE: This will ONLY work on totally stock but rooted. If you changed anything else at all, then you will need to load stock to get the OTA patch to work.

1. Download the OTA file to your device. You can find a link in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1745781 (WARNING: Download the correct image for YOUR device, Nexus 7 WiFi vs Mobile)
2. Download directly to your device the most recent SuperSU file: http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu
3. Open the SuperSU app and select Full Unroot.
4. Shut down your device and boot it into recovery mode (Once off, push vol- and power together). Choose recovery mode with vol-, then power to select.
5. Once you are in recovery mode select "Install ZIP", look for OTA file you just downloaded and follow instructions to flash the zip file.
6. WITHOUT rebooting, install the SuperSU file again using "Install ZIP".
7. Reboot your device

(8/24/13) Update: Added directions to updating to the latest build, avoiding the OTA and loosing root.

(8/15/13) Update: Updated link to factory image to better show options for download, was going straight to the 4.3 WiFi link. Added a warning to the factory image and CWM/TWRP download links, to verify you are downloading the image for YOUR device. Good luck and happy flashing.
The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to ShadowOf For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ShadowOf Ad-Free

3rd August 2013, 03:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 299

More
Thanks dude! This helped

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
3rd August 2013, 09:55 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Thanks!
These instructions worked perfectly. The only minor complication was downloading the necessary drivers - but once they were installed, your directions worked perfectly. Thanks so much.
4th August 2013, 04:34 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I had my n7 rooted before the update, but did not have the bootloader unlocked. If I use these instructions can I just root the device and not change the way it is running? When I rooted it did not make any changes. I just don't want to have a factory reset done.
4th August 2013, 04:30 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 64

More
Worked like a charm, Thanks
4th August 2013, 07:36 PM |#6  
Flag Heidelberg
Thanks Meter: 2,278

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsiboy

I had my n7 rooted before the update, but did not have the bootloader unlocked. If I use these instructions can I just root the device and not change the way it is running? When I rooted it did not make any changes. I just don't want to have a factory reset done.

No, this is method works only with an unlocked bootloader. Either wait for the OTA update (which hopefully still works for you ...) or you need to unlock your bootloader which will imply a factory reset.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
4th August 2013, 10:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Are the XXX in the"XXX/ADB..." the name of the folder we have the files in?

Never mind, I found it lol
4th August 2013, 11:59 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOf

It will then reboot (takes a while) and then you will be in Android 4.3 with all your data preserved.

[/URL]

Hello, my N7 has been loading for about 30 minutes after it reset. Is this normal?
5th August 2013, 05:15 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDVS

Hello, my N7 has been loading for about 30 minutes after it reset. Is this normal?

Mine took about 5, maybe ten minutes from the last .ZIP flash to being up and running.
5th August 2013, 05:25 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Thumbs up
This is very much the same method I used to update, and it worked great. (I actually copied flash-all.sh to flash-some.sh, commented out all the 'fastboot erase' lines that affected anything I cared about, and changed the 'fastboot update -w' to just 'fastboot update', but overall, very nearly the same thing). Anyone wanting a smooth upgrade path should follow ShadowOf's instructions above.
6th August 2013, 05:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hei man, thanks, it took 30 minutes and everything worked as a charm.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)