FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

[L5] **** Guide for running CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 on the Canadian E617G ****

582 posts
Thanks Meter: 290

Post Reply Email Thread
The LG L5 E617G variant can certainly be rooted, have an unlocked bootloader, as well as run CyanogenMod. The Bell variant can use a custom kernel.

Firstly:
- Root the device using the guide in this thread.
- Verify that you have a SuperUser app installed, and you're able to achieve root status. The best way to check is by downloading SuperSU, and updating the binaries.

Secondly:
- Unlock the bootloader by downloading emmc_appsboot_617_truncated.zip in this thread. (Thanks Skellums!)
- Turn on USB Debugging in Developer Options, (if you can't see Developer Options in the settings menu, continuously tap on Build Number in About in Settings).
- When you plug in your device, if you have an SDCard, you should see two storage spaces within the LG L5 MTP. Place the bootloader file in root of the phone storage (which the devices sees as the SDCard). The actual SDCard is the external SDCard which ADB has trouble seeing on occasion.
- Plug in your device to the PC, and make sure its loaded into Android.
- Download the fastboot/adb files here, and extract them to C:/fastboot/. Open the command prompt in windows, and type:
Code:
cd C:/fastboot
then...

Code:
adb devices
...and make sure you see your device, then...

Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/sdcard/emmc_appsboot-backup.bin
dd if=/sdcard/emmc_appsboot_617_truncated.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5
reboot
- Now, you should have an unlocked bootloader. If you get any "file not found errors", you placed the emmc file in the wrong directory

Thirdly:
- You now need a recovery, so let your phone reboot, and when its back to the main screen, make sure the device is plugged in, open the command prompt, and follow the instructions here.

Fourthly:
- Any CyanogenMod works very nicely on the L5 E617G. You can get CM10.1 along with gapps here or CM10.2 here or the amazing CM11 here. Before heading back to recovery, you will need the CM10.1 ROM, GAPPS, v20 BaseBand, and WakeWithHomeAndPower_signed.zip (Optional) and v10 Baseband (For restore purposes if something goes wrong).
- Copy all those zips to the root of your external SD, and then run the command:

Code:
adb reboot recovery
- Before anything, create a NANDROID BACKUP! Make sure to backup to the external SD, as you probably would have more space to work with.
- Then, factory reset your device in recovery. You can now flash CM10.1, by choosing "install zip from external sd card". Flash the v20 baseband, then the ROM, then gapps, then the wake with home fix.

Done!

- Upon reboot, you should have CM working very well on your LG L5 E617G!

Note: You can also get to recovery with the L5 but holding down Vol Down and Home, while pressing the power button for 2 seconds.

Disclaimer: I wrote this article because I, myself, had quite the experience in getting CM10.1 running on this L5 variant, and I wanted to show that it's certainly possible, thanks to the hard work by all the devs here! Good luck!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BuffMcBigHuge For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BuffMcBigHuge Ad-Free

7th August 2013, 02:15 AM |#2  
Flag British Columbia
Thanks Meter: 115

More
Thank you, good sir! I have now installed CM10.1!

I ended up running the recovery twice - after the first time, during the reboot, it just hung at the LG logo so I turned it off and back on and then repeated the recovery install steps and it was fine after the second time (now that I think about it I should've just tried issuing the "adb reboot recovery" command again instead).

Phone definitely much snappier and I haven't had any problems so far! Thank you again!
The Following User Says Thank You to koimr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift koimr Ad-Free
10th August 2013, 01:56 AM |#3  
Flag British Columbia

More
It's been a couple of days now and all seems to be running smoothly!

The only issue I have with CM on my L5 is that the video seems to cause issues - it'll work the first time but then hangs afterwards and subsequent attempts just give an error. Rebooting is the only cure. Not a huge deal for me though.

The rest of the phone runs great, definitely smoother and snappier than stock.
12th August 2013, 12:21 AM |#4  
Flag British Columbia

More
Now my camera/video recording is working just fine today. Go figure.

Loving the speed vs the stock stuff!
13th August 2013, 03:54 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ottawa

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by koimr

Now my camera/video recording is working just fine today. Go figure.

Loving the speed vs the stock stuff!

I've noticed the same thing. Once and a while, the video camera will freeze, and then force close. Reopening it causes "Gallery has stopped.". It's really finicky, but a reboot usually does the trick. Not sure if it's a ROM issue or a E617G issue, but you're not alone!

Pictures seem fine, I would suggest staying away from the video recording for now.
13th August 2013, 10:14 PM |#6  
Flag British Columbia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffMcBigHuge

I've noticed the same thing. Once and a while, the video camera will freeze, and then force close. Reopening it causes "Gallery has stopped.". It's really finicky, but a reboot usually does the trick. Not sure if it's a ROM issue or a E617G issue, but you're not alone!

Pictures seem fine, I would suggest staying away from the video recording for now.

I seem to recall having these issues a long time ago with the stock ROM too, now that I think about it. Not a big deal for me, easier to just avoid using the video camera.

I've even gone and flashed the latest (as of today) beta 5 of CM 10.1 as well - works just great as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to koimr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift koimr Ad-Free
13th August 2013, 10:17 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ottawa

More
Quote:

I seem to recall having these issues a long time ago with the stock ROM too, now that I think about it. Not a big deal for me, easier to just avoid using the video camera.

I've even gone and flashed the latest (as of today) beta 5 of CM 10.1 as well - works just great as well!

Great! I'm going to try the kernel that was also posted and attempt to overclock.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4
13th August 2013, 11:49 PM |#8  
Flag British Columbia

More
Quote:

Great! I'm going to try the kernel that was also posted and attempt to overclock.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Oh wow! Post your results if it all works out!
14th August 2013, 07:43 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ottawa

More
Quote:

Oh wow! Post your results if it all works out!

I have successfully flashed lge-e610-v3.4.0-13-08-2013_20-59.zip and overclocked the device to 1000Mhz!
15th August 2013, 12:18 AM |#10  
Flag British Columbia

More
Quote:

I have successfully flashed lge-e610-v3.4.0-13-08-2013_20-59.zip and overclocked the device to 1000Mhz!

Same here now! Whoohoo!!
19th August 2013, 08:23 PM |#11  
Flag Bra
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you, good sir! I have now installed CM10.1
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)