FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

otterbox defender question?

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By BeelzebubIV, Junior Member on 8th August 2013, 01:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello
As I have already ruined 80 euros worth of glass screen protectors (I even used the shower method but dust kept coming underneath it and cleaning it with soapy water didn't really help.) I'm now looking for a case that also protects the screen. The otterbox defender caught my eye but I'm wondering if the screen protector will mess with the vibrancy of the colors.

8th August 2013, 02:40 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Best method to apply an screen protector is :

Gather the stuff in your room before going to sleep at night , besides the screen protector kit include a transparent glass cleaner spray (not necessary but useful to be in spray) and a extra clean cloth and gloves (if you have hairy hands).

Then next morning as soon you wake up and before you open any door or windows, get your phone, clean carefully, place the screen protector at its ideal position then hold at its ideal position with tape (some kits include if not your case get tape before gather in your room) and then apply generous glass cleaner liquid enough to cover all the screen surface under the protector and the screen surface, but not too much as this could drain into your phone, then apply the screen protector on the wet surface, remove air bubbles and Woallah your screen protector it's perfect.

I used to be fan of Otterbox products but lately don't offer the best protection for that bulk if you are really concerned on protection other choices are better (and maybe cheaper too).

I use Speck candy shell on my note 2 and I have ordered (delayed at customs) an Spigen armor lite view for my new S4.

As screen protector I avoid glass based I prefer Buff brand (layered polycarbonate and soft polyethylene) are cheap (at least I find it cheap in my neighborhood) and offer and outstanding protection and I replace it every 3 months w/o complaint.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
8th August 2013, 06:10 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcostaJA

Best method to apply an screen protector is :

Gather the stuff in your room before going to sleep at night , besides the screen protector kit include a transparent glass cleaner spray (not necessary but useful to be in spray) and a extra clean cloth and gloves (if you have hairy hands).

Then next morning as soon you wake up and before you open any door or windows, get your phone, clean carefully, place the screen protector at its ideal position then hold at its ideal position with tape (some kits include if not your case get tape before gather in your room) and then apply generous glass cleaner liquid enough to cover all the screen surface under the protector and the screen surface, but not too much as this could drain into your phone, then apply the screen protector on the wet surface, remove air bubbles and Woallah your screen protector it's perfect.

I used to be fan of Otterbox products but lately don't offer the best protection for that bulk if you are really concerned on protection other choices are better (and maybe cheaper too).

I use Speck candy shell on my note 2 and I have ordered (delayed at customs) an Spigen armor lite view for my new S4.

As screen protector I avoid glass based I prefer Buff brand (layered polycarbonate and soft polyethylene) are cheap (at least I find it cheap in my neighborhood) and offer and outstanding protection and I replace it every 3 months w/o complaint.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

Thanks for the tips an all but I'd like to know if the screen protector from the otterbox holds back the colors of the screen.
8th August 2013, 10:17 PM |#4  
Not really. At least not when they're new. If the screen protector gets scratched up then it may, but they're pretty transparent right out of the box.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda premium
9th August 2013, 12:02 AM |#5  
Flag Poughkeepsie, NY
Thanks Meter: 1

More
IMO it does take away from the screen. I used one for several months and when I took it off to clean it I noticed how much it dulls the screen color and sharpness. I ended up getting the otter box commuter and can now enjoy the great screen on the S4.. But if you are hard on your phone you can't beat the protection the defender gives you.
15th August 2013, 09:48 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I have the otterbox defender and scratched the built in screen protector badly after only one week. I unpeeled the cases plastic lens (double sided stick tape) and just put an ordinary 1 time use screen protector on my phone. They fit very snug together and seem to work the best for touch response and all of the other no touch scroll stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
16th August 2013, 12:21 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I too have a defender. Unless their screen protector is damaged there isn't much of a difference in clarity. I managed to dent mine in two places which caused a slightly rainbow effect at those points but mire annoyingly two bumps that I constantly ran my finger over.
I purchased a few xtremeguard screen protectors for $1 each, popped out the defender plastic piece, and voila good as new. Plus if anything happens, I have extras.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4
21st August 2013, 05:59 AM |#8  
Flag Dallas TX
Thanks Meter: 14

More
About Otterbox Defender case
I've brought the Defender case over the weekend so far it's really good how it hugs the phone and rubber not being flimsy or loose. The built in screen protector does take away from the screen clarity but it's not as bad as the some screen protectors that have a matte finish (anti glare). I've gotten used to it and does not affect the sensitivity of the touch screen. Only con so far is the home button cut out dust can get in there especially if you're always around a dusty environment it can be annoying having to take it apart to clean under it.
21st August 2013, 10:03 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeelzebubIV

Hello
As I have already ruined 80 euros worth of glass screen protectors (I even used the shower method but dust kept coming underneath it and cleaning it with soapy water didn't really help.) I'm now looking for a case that also protects the screen. The otterbox defender caught my eye but I'm wondering if the screen protector will mess with the vibrancy of the colors.

I know youre asking about the otterbox but I thought id throw this out there. You might to check out the trident kraken ams. It has a built in screen protector and it doesnt dull the screen. The only complaints I have about it is it has the dot matrix built in and otterboxs belt clip is better as well. In my opinion the build quality is a ton better plus theyre a bit cheaper as well. Theyre customer service trumps otters as well. I cant stand taking the 4 pictures when dealing with warranty issues.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)