Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Halifax
Thanks Meter: 25,223

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewdaniel

well in summary basically someone was demanding you do a 0-HOUR release

Yeah looked like someone was suggesting that I was saying that, which obviously wasn't the case and I clarified anyway. No idea how things spun out from there. Oh well, it's over now!
The Following User Says Thank You to osm0sis For This Useful Post: [ View ]

22nd May 2014, 10:25 PM |#5002  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Meter: 23,794

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by osm0sis

Yeah looked like someone was suggesting that I was saying that, which obviously wasn't the case and I clarified anyway. No idea how things spun out from there. Oh well, it's over now!

As I'm sure you know, it really would be counterproductive to release more than once per week.

For example, today I received my third update this week to Google+. It appears that Google's new practice is to do limited release betas Monday-Thursday and then, hopefully, a proper, final release by Friday. There has been at least one app every week for the past month or two where they've followed this same release pattern.

By releasing updates over the weekend, we should get a day or two, at least, of a completely up-to-date GApps package. Not only that, the apps included will have gone through Google's weekday beta test period and should be more stable and bug-free than a mid-week release would be.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to TKruzze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TKruzze Ad-Free
22nd May 2014, 10:44 PM |#5003  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKruzze

As I'm sure you know, it really would be counterproductive to release more than once per week.

For example, today I received my third update this week to Google+. It appears that Google's new practice is to do limited release betas Monday-Thursday and then, hopefully, a proper, final release by Friday. There has been at least one app every week for the past month or two where they've followed this same release pattern.

By releasing updates over the weekend, we should get a day or two, at least, of a completely up-to-date GApps package. Not only that, the apps included will have gone through Google's weekday beta test period and should be more stable and bug-free than a mid-week release would be.

Oh I know. The only thing I said was that it might help to have "0-week" in the topic so that people would only expect one update per week, and hopefully stop asking every time there's an update.

Someone completely misconstrued that, not sure how, but yeah, I completely agree with your current practice.
22nd May 2014, 11:11 PM |#5004  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I really appreciate your work to keep gapps up to date, thanks.
But I was wondering if there was some system like cyandelta or Google play store, where you could just download small portions and update the same package instead of downloading nearly 300 mb each time.
I'm actually on cm11.
Don't get offended if it was already asked.
Thanks again.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K0rgar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift K0rgar Ad-Free
23rd May 2014, 01:33 AM |#5005  
Thanks Meter: 1,182

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0rgar

But I was wondering if there was some system like cyandelta or Google play store, where you could just download small portions and update the same package instead of downloading nearly 300 mb each time.
I'm actually on cm11.
Don't get offended if it was already asked.
Thanks again.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Actually, there a bit of brilliance in there. In theory we could manufacture a script that would automatically incorporate Google apps updates from /data/app into /system upon every boot. I will have to give this some thought. Might be beyond my skill set though. It would have to extract libs and be a bit tricky but not impossible . .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hlxanthus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hlxanthus Ad-Free
23rd May 2014, 01:56 AM |#5006  
Thanks Meter: 404

More
Quote:

Even getting this once a week is an luxury. For my part, there will be weeks I skip it and wait till the next one. Google pushes updates almost daily anyway. We accept these updates from Play Store (because we want the absolute latest) or we don't (because we're not that concerned). Either way is fine. And either way will the next Gapps clear out those Play Store updates when we decide to flash it, and save us some internal storage. That's wonderful, and the reason we love this. It's like having our cake and eating it too

To be flashing a new Gapps every day (let alone several times a day) whenever Google pushes an update, seems a bit excessive to me, even if it were possible to release it.

Quote:

Oh I know. The only thing I said was that it might help to have "0-week" in the topic so that people would only expect one update per week, and hopefully stop asking every time there's an update.

Someone completely misconstrued that, not sure how, but yeah, I completely agree with your current practice.

I must have missed any drama as well. The posts I saw from you all perfectly supported the current schedule and TKruzze effort.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheDannemand For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TheDannemand Ad-Free
23rd May 2014, 02:13 AM |#5007  
Flag Halifax

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlxanthus

Actually, there a bit of brilliance in there. In theory we could manufacture a script that would automatically incorporate Google apps updates from /data/app into /system upon every boot. I will have to give this some thought. Might be beyond my skill set though. It would have to extract libs and be a bit tricky but not impossible . .

Great idea! Pointing unzip at an apk would probably work to extract the libs, the only trick would be slimming down the apk's by removing the libs, and having them maintained by addon.d scripts like TKruzze does. The other problem I can think of would be that a second reboot might be required to make things stable after each incorporation.
23rd May 2014, 02:29 AM |#5008  
Thanks Meter: 1,182

More
It would allow this package to maintain a zero day package without constant updates. Would have to find force a second reboot after it is done moving them to system . . hmmm

Sent from my Galaxy S 4
The Following User Says Thank You to hlxanthus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hlxanthus Ad-Free
23rd May 2014, 05:09 AM |#5009  
OP Senior Member
Flag Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks Meter: 23,794

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0rgar

Quote:

Quote:

Great idea! Pointing unzip at an apk would probably work to extract the libs, the only trick would be slimming down the apk's by removing the libs, and having them maintained by addon.d scripts like TKruzze does. The other problem I can think of would be that a second reboot might be required to make things stable after each incorporation.

Quote:

It would allow this package to maintain a zero day package without constant updates. Would have to find force a second reboot after it is done moving them to system . . hmmm

While, in theory, what you're proposing is possible, it would also be extremely difficult to implement.

There are a lot of moving parts and pieces that Android does behind the scenes to manage applications and their associated data. For example, take a look at the following folders on your device (using a Root enabled explorer).

/data/app
/data/app-asec
/data/app-lib
/data/app-private
/data/data/*

Some of those folders contain data for user apps only, while some contain data for both system and user apps. The question would be which is which, and is the data contained in them managed differently based on how the app was installed (System vs User)? I can think of a hundred more questions that I don't know the asnwers to, which is why I've always felt it best to let Android do most of the heavy lifting.

The simplicity of the system currently being used let's Android take care of all the data management. Android was designed to handle updates to system based applications and does it very well. Going the other way would have to be handled manually, something that even the best apps in the marketplace (i.e. Titanium Backup) don't do very well.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to TKruzze For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TKruzze Ad-Free
23rd May 2014, 08:16 AM |#5010  
Flag Vilnius
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Nano package
Good day everyone,

First of all I would like to thank TKruzze and all the PA team for their awesome work.

Next, I have a suggestion:

Would it be possible to get a Nano package, that would contain only Core Base, Google Bookmarks Sync, Play Store, Google Play services, Google Search and maybe Google Text-to-Speech, but no Launcher, no Gmail, no Calendar and other stuff, only the essentials required for phone to work?

Or maybe even better - a more modular approach - how about adding more options to file .gapps-modular or similar to bypass installation of some apps, or use separate files like existing .forcenocamera and .forcenogallery to skip apps like Google Play Newsstand, Google Play Books and similar.

Just some thoughts, sorry if it sounds stupid...
23rd May 2014, 09:52 AM |#5011  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:

While, in theory, what you're proposing is possible, it would also be extremely difficult to implement.

There are a lot of moving parts and pieces that Android does behind the scenes to manage applications and their associated data. For example, take a look at the following folders on your device (using a Root enabled explorer).

/data/app
/data/app-asec
/data/app-lib
/data/app-private
/data/data/*

Some of those folders contain data for user apps only, while some contain data for both system and user apps. The question would be which is which, and is the data contained in them managed differently based on how the app was installed (System vs User)? I can think of a hundred more questions that I don't know the asnwers to, which is why I've always felt it best to let Android do most of the heavy lifting.

The simplicity of the system currently being used let's Android take care of all the data management. Android was designed to handle updates to system based applications and does it very well. Going the other way would have to be handled manually, something that even the best apps in the marketplace (i.e. Titanium Backup) don't do very well.

I didn't know it worked that way, I myself tried something like moving user app to system app with TB and the results were horrific, most of the time...
I really liked to just download delta updates but it seems that it's not so simple.

Thanks anyway, keep up the good work
The Following User Says Thank You to K0rgar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift K0rgar Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.4, aospa, gapps, pa gapps, paranoid
Previous Thread Next Thread