FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.1+] 8sms: Android 4.4 KitKat / CyanogenMod 10.2 stock messaging with extras

370 posts
Thanks Meter: 601

By bengtan, Senior Member on 9th August 2013, 05:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
30th September 2014, 01:48 PM |#1161  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejuantwo

Not crazy about the new seperator so staying on the old version for now. Anyway we can put it back to normal? the new one looks worse than the old IMO

Other than that i love this app, has so many additional options from the stock one.

1st October 2014, 07:11 AM |#1162  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:

Not crazy about the new seperator so staying on the old version for now. Anyway we can put it back to normal? the new one looks worse than the old IMO

Uh, what do you mean by "seperator"? I don't understand.
1st October 2014, 10:01 PM |#1163  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtan

Uh, what do you mean by "seperator"? I don't understand.

Its super minor however I just liked the look before.

This is the look before
Old Lines

After I dont have a screenshot of but it looks much more bold and flat.
2nd October 2014, 07:59 AM |#1164  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:

Its super minor however I just liked the look before.

This is the look before

After I dont have a screenshot of but it looks much more bold and flat.

Oh, ah, yes, that.

I added a pixel of spacing between the message "blocks" so it looked better when using multi-select.

Most probably (unless I get a lot of complaints from users), it's here to stay ... at least ... until the theme gets re-done.
2nd October 2014, 08:09 AM |#1165  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
8sms: The end of the road?
Hi all,

You may all be interested in this:

8sms: The end of the road?
http://8s.ms/end-of-the-road

Excerpts:

Quote:

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I write this. Unfortunately, 8sms is at a crossroads and, indeed, this may be the end of the road of 8sms as you know it.

Pending a dramatic change of fortune or some unforeseen event, my ongoing development of 8sms is financially unsustainable and needs to be reconsidered.

Quote:

My monetisation strategy for 8sms ... has flopped, and flopped badly.

The only other potentially viable monetisation of 8sms is advertising. However, it's not something I really want to subject my users to.

Hence, with no monetisation, I can't really afford to continue developing 8sms.

Quote:

Whilst I enjoy working on 8sms and making it even better, unfortunately, if it is not economically sustainable, it's not viable to continue.

So, where to from here?

I see some possibilities. An acquisition ...

* Sell 8sms to a buyer (whether the buyer will continue maintaining 8sms or chooses to add advertising is unknown),
* Be "acqui-hired" by a buyer who then employs me to continue working on 8sms,
* Be "acqui-hired" by Google who then employs me to fix the many mms-related issues in Google Hangouts.

or something more dramatic ...

* Add advertising to 8sms (which I have been reluctant to do),
* "Shut down" 8sms: Leave it available on Google Play, but stop future development and support.

I am one of those people who dislikes advertising, so I have resisted placing advertisements into 8sms so far. However, it is preferable if I don't have to "shut down" 8sms.

Pending a friendly acquisition, something dramatic may have to happen. Since events are not mine to control, let's see what the next few weeks have in store.

Quote:

I am putting up the "For Sale" sign for 8sms.

Quote:

If anyone is interested in purchasing 8sms, please convey your expression of interest in email.

Thank you for reading, and thank you to all the users of 8sms for their support so far. It has been a wonderful (though busy) experience.

Thank you,
Beng Tan

8sms developer

Full post available at: http://8s.ms/end-of-the-road

Comments and responses welcome.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free
2nd October 2014, 03:32 PM |#1166  

More
Quote:

Oh, ah, yes, that.

I added a pixel of spacing between the message "blocks" so it looked better when using multi-select.

Most probably (unless I get a lot of complaints from users), it's here to stay ... at least ... until the theme gets re-done.

No problem, I understand like i said its very minor. Sad to see you packing up shop. Could you possibly charge for 8sms like 1.99 or some other amount? Would that help? I'd be more than happy to pay a few bucks to keep it around. Again thanks for all the hard work you've put into this app.
2nd October 2014, 04:18 PM |#1167  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:

No problem, I understand like i said its very minor. Sad to see you packing up shop. Could you possibly charge for 8sms like 1.99 or some other amount? Would that help? I'd be more than happy to pay a few bucks to keep it around. Again thanks for all the hard work you've put into this app.

Nothing's set in stone yet. Let's see how the next week or two pans out.
2nd October 2014, 07:43 PM |#1168  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Quote:

Nothing's set in stone yet. Let's see how the next week or two pans out.

That's unfortunate. This app really is the bee's knees if you're looking for simple functionality. I appreciate all the hard work you've put into it.

Ideas:

What percentage of users know about the donation page? Maybe a once only popup alerting users to that dialog? Or once per app update if they haven't already donated?

Have you considered a donation link here in this thread? Maybe in the OP? Maybe in your XDA profile?

I forget if you've considered a parallel donate version of the app in the play store ...

At any rate, I'd hate to see the ap go. I've used 8sms exclusively for a long time now, across multiple devices and multiple versions of Android.

Best of luck to you whatever path you choose!

Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to DurhamHusker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DurhamHusker Ad-Free
2nd October 2014, 08:57 PM |#1169  
Thanks Meter: 510

More
Damn. I love this app, the development, the support... Really sad to see it go.

OnePlus
3rd October 2014, 03:27 AM |#1170  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:

Could you possibly charge for 8sms like 1.99 or some other amount? Would that help? I'd be more than happy to pay a few bucks to keep it around. Again thanks for all the hard work you've put into this app.

Google doesn't allow free apps to become paid apps. The only way would be to either create a separate "premium" app or have an in-app purchase. In either case, I expect the economics to be about the same as donation-ware (which is mentioned below).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurhamHusker

That's unfortunate. This app really is the bee's knees if you're looking for simple functionality. I appreciate all the hard work you've put into it.

Ideas:

What percentage of users know about the donation page? Maybe a once only popup alerting users to that dialog? Or once per app update if they haven't already donated?

Have you considered a donation link here in this thread? Maybe in the OP? Maybe in your XDA profile?

I forget if you've considered a parallel donate version of the app in the play store ...

At any rate, I'd hate to see the ap go. I've used 8sms exclusively for a long time now, across multiple devices and multiple versions of Android.

Best of luck to you whatever path you choose!

Jon

Thanks for the kind words.

Ever since I set up donations within 8sms a few months ago, I've received about $50-70 per month (after Google takes it's 30% cut). This is a negligible amount ... and it's so far below what's needed that even if I tried to optimise donations and got a 10x increase, it would still be too low.

So, no, I don't have donation links in this thread or elsewhere on XDA (I believe most users of 8sms aren't even on XDA nowadays), nor a parallel "premium" version of 8sms ... but I don't think it's going to alter the situation sufficiently anyway.

This is not a criticism of the people who choose not to donate. It's just the economics of the "donation-ware" business model. Unless there's some incentive to make a payment, most people will just default to "no action" ... It's just human nature.

Furthermore, I can't push donations or in-app purchases too hard. Users are used to having free software and (I expect) they'll just drop 8sms and use another messaging app.

The only way I can think of so far which would allow me to make enough money in order to continue developing 8sms ... is advertising. It's something I don't want to do, but if the alternative is to shut down 8sms, then advertising is the "lesser of two evils".

(If I did add advertising, then I'll probably allow them to be removed via an in-app purchase or donation.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free
3rd October 2014, 04:38 AM |#1171  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Quote:

The only way I can think of so far which would allow me to make enough money in order to continue developing 8sms ... is advertising. It's something I don't want to do, but if the alternative is to shut down 8sms, then advertising is the "lesser of two evils".

(If I did add advertising, then I'll probably allow them to be removed via an in-app purchase or donation.)

I think I could live with that
The Following User Says Thank You to DurhamHusker For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DurhamHusker Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)