FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.1+] 8sms: Android 4.4 KitKat / CyanogenMod 10.2 stock messaging with extras

370 posts
Thanks Meter: 600

By bengtan, Senior Member on 9th August 2013, 04:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th October 2014, 04:44 AM |#1211  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andeld

Fine apps have the option to "Restore in app purchases". Maybe this would be the safest method to follow. I attached a screen for giving an example, on Plague Inc game.

I think that's needed because the game needs to retrieve the previous in-app purchases (which are recorded by the Google Play Services app) and then go talk to the game server and match them up against game items.

For the case of 8sms, there's no need to "match" purchases against "items". Any purchase tells 8sms that a donation has been made.

I don't quite see how "Restore in-app purchases" makes sense in the context of 8sms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nojevah

The thing is: I took time to write this, but I think I'm not the only one not to like this donation thing, so people will prefer to uninstall instead of using this "donation button". But maybe I'm just not used to this "in-app purchase" which seems to be more and more present.

I'm not sure to understand why 2 apps would be such a problem. One application with ads for those who want to test. Another application with no ads code + you could push updates earlier on this version and use it as a beta (or RC or pre-release) for the free version.
On your website you would still advertise the free version, and in description you would link to "donation" app.

But it's just my advice and like I said maybe I'm just not used to this "in-app purchase".

PS: I'll see how ads are displayed, and I also need to test other SMS/MMS apps but I should make a donation anyway.

> I'm not sure to understand why 2 apps would be such a problem.

Technically, it's not really that big of a problem. If I needed to release two versions of 8sms, I am capable enough to do it.

It's just that ... having a single app (with in-app purchases) is (maybe 10-20%) easier to manage, and I didn't think there would be much disadvantage in doing so.

It's like ... if I have to go buy a blue widget and a red widget. All things being equal, I'd rather buy both widgets from the same place rather than buying from two difference places. Well, the logic is sort of something like that.

> but I should make a donation anyway

Please don't feel like there's an obligation to make a donation. It's entirely your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_happy_cannibal

I uninstalled and re-installed from the Play Store and 8sms remembered that I have donated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgigabyte2002

I have brought few inpurchased apps and its recorded with google , so no one should have a problem I have reinstall a app I have not use in over a year and it was remember

Great! Thank you both for confirming.
The Following User Says Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free

3rd November 2014, 08:40 AM |#1212  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
[B]8sms[/B] shortcut disappears from homescreen after a reboot
The "8sms" shortcut disappears from my homescreen every single time I reboot my phone !
I am running the latest (4.6 Beta5) Paranoid Android and this shortcut disappearance occurs only with 8sms shortcut ! Any other app's shortcut stays on the where I placed it on my homescreen after a reboot.
Is there anyone having the same issue ? Is there a solution?

Thanks
3rd November 2014, 01:00 PM |#1213  
Thanks Meter: 135

More
I think there is a version on his website called "google-fix" for that issue.

http://8s.ms/launcher-icon-removed-home-screen-google

Sent from my SM-G900R4
The Following User Says Thank You to phalkon30 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift phalkon30 Ad-Free
15th November 2014, 01:26 PM |#1214  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
@bengtan Saw on the Google Play info page for 8sms that a material design is in development. Is this still being considered, given the recent uncertainty of the future of the application development?
17th November 2014, 03:24 AM |#1215  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas239

@bengtan Saw on the Google Play info page for 8sms that a material design is in development. Is this still being considered, given the recent uncertainty of the future of the application development?

Hi,

Yes, a Material update for 8sms is coming, hopefully sooner rather than later.

As for the future of 8sms, I'll have more to say in the next few days or week or two, but on the present course, I don't think I'll be shutting down 8sms.

Thanks,
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free
20th November 2014, 01:30 AM |#1216  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Update: looks like it may have been Google keyboard that was updated and turned grey. Anyone know how to fix this? This thing is hideous.

Update #2: So looks like all I had to do was change the material layout to Holo white....which is actually the stock grey from before. Who'da thought. Anyone else having this issue it's obviously not an 8sms app issue (sorry), guess I didn't realize Android keyboard was my main keyboard lol.

I did have one request, I believe there used to be a "delete" button at the bottom of the UI when you highlighted a text message thread, but when ads were added it was removed. For those of us who have paid to remove ads, can you put the trashcan/delete button back at the bottom? This is more of a habit problem for me.

Hi, big fan of the 8sms app (donated to remove ads), but today my Nexus 5 upgraded to 5.0 and now I have a bright grey keyboard and feel like it's a bit buggy.

I tried the dark version, but it's not anything like the previous version which was basically stock prior to Google messing everything up and using hangouts for SMS.

Is there a way to change back the style to the previous stock grey version? Really loved the stock look and this new bright grey keyboard is just awful, can't even tell between letters now.

I know 5.0 is brand new, and the app has had some difficulty staying profitable, but would really appreciate a way to switch back to the stock grey keyboard.

Thanks for all the work you do, the app has really served me well on my Nexus 5.
20th November 2014, 06:14 AM |#1217  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liderc

Update: looks like it may have been Google keyboard that was updated and turned grey. Anyone know how to fix this? This thing is hideous.

Update #2: So looks like all I had to do was change the material layout to Holo white....which is actually the stock grey from before. Who'da thought. Anyone else having this issue it's obviously not an 8sms app issue (sorry), guess I didn't realize Android keyboard was my main keyboard lol.

I did have one request, I believe there used to be a "delete" button at the bottom of the UI when you highlighted a text message thread, but when ads were added it was removed. For those of us who have paid to remove ads, can you put the trashcan/delete button back at the bottom? This is more of a habit problem for me.

Thank you for donating and your support.

Yes, the keyboard is controlled by whatever keyboard app you are using, and it's not related to 8sms.

Quote:

I did have one request, I believe there used to be a "delete" button at the bottom of the UI when you highlighted a text message thread, but when ads were added it was removed.

Yes, I unset the "SplitActionBarWhenNarrow" flag for the main screen of 8sms so the action bar doesn't split and always stays at the top now.

The delete button is still there, but it appears at the top. Did you realise it is there now?
20th November 2014, 06:19 AM |#1218  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
8sms: To be continued for now
Hi all,

I've posted an update to the 8sms website:

http://8s.ms/to-be-continued-for-now

Relevant excerpts:

Quote:

I still think 8sms is a worthwhile project, but unfortunately, the economics are such that there would be financial loss and opportunity cost if the present path were to continue. However, I am loathe to abandon the users — especially those who have already donated — so I will try to keep 8sms going for as long as I can.

Quote:

I will be reducing the amount of time and resources spent on developing 8sms and diverting them to other projects.

HOWEVER,

8sms will continue to be maintained, but development and new features will be at a slower rate (as time and resources permits).

Specifically, 8sms will be updated for Android Lollipop and Material design*.

(*Although it will probably be incremental changes only. A total re-design to be 100% compliant with Material is likely to be too much work.)

I believe this is a suitable compromise. 8sms continues to be maintained and still leaves the door open for future possibilities. For example, if 8sms suddenly grows a lot of new users, it can still be revived into a "foreground" project.

For the foreseeable future ... 8sms continues to live.

Thank you all for your continued support.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free
23rd November 2014, 04:34 PM |#1219  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtan

Hi all,

Relevant excerpts:

Donated a few bux, thanks for all your hard work.
The Following User Says Thank You to fivejuantwo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fivejuantwo Ad-Free
23rd November 2014, 05:46 PM |#1220  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 2,814

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengtan

Hi all,

Relevant excerpts:

If you don't have enough time to fully develop/commit to it, why not open source it? Then, maybe someone else can work/improve it so users who already donated can get their full money's worth, and not receiving full attention... That'd make the most sense IMO.
25th November 2014, 03:20 AM |#1221  
OP Senior Member
Flag Perth

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivejuantwo

Donated a few bux, thanks for all your hard work.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFCaputo113

If you don't have enough time to fully develop/commit to it, why not open source it? Then, maybe someone else can work/improve it so users who already donated can get their full money's worth, and not receiving full attention... That'd make the most sense IMO.

That might not be a bad idea. Let's see how the next 3-ish months go and then I'll review this possibility. Thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bengtan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bengtan Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)