FORUMS

[APP] World FM Radio - 76-108 MHz (All Regions including Japan)!!!

329 posts
Thanks Meter: 79

By shunsai, Senior Member on 12th August 2013, 04:47 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a simple modification of the stock FM Radio app from the Galaxy Note II International version (N7100) running Jellybean 4.1.2 or Kit Kat 4.4.2. It has been modded to allow tuning to bands lower than the native 87.5 MHz.

Japanese FM frequencies are lower than the Americas and Europe. Whereas in most countries FM stations broadcast between 87500 and 108000 herz, Japanese stations broadcast between 76000 and 90000. Natively the stock radio app cannot tune lower than 87500. This mod works around that and allows you to scan between 76000 and 108000.

This is a system app, so you MUST BE ROOTED TO INSTALL.

If you are on a Jellybean Touchwiz ROM, download the FmRadio file below and rename to FmRadio.apk.
If you are on a KitKat Touchwiz ROM, download the HybridRadio file below and rename to HybridRadio.apk.

To install:
I recommend first backing up and uninstalling the stock app via Titanium Backup
Copy the apk to the system/app directory using Root Explorer
Mount R/W
Rename to FmRadio.apk or HybridRadio.apk (depending on your Android version)
Add the following line to your system/csc/feature.xml:
<CscFeature_FMRadio_BandWidthAs>76000_108000</CscFeature_FMRadio_BandWidthAs>
Restart

That should do it! You can now tune to bands below 87.5!
Attached Files
File Type: apk FmRadio_09042013_1658.apk - [Click for QR Code] (6.76 MB, 122636 views)
File Type: apk HybridRadio-05282014_0454pm_FINAL-PUB.apk - [Click for QR Code] (4.38 MB, 76282 views)
File Type: zip HybridRadioMod.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.52 MB, 50039 views)
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to shunsai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shunsai Ad-Free
12th August 2013, 04:47 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag 大阪府

Donate to Me
More
Working
  • Previous and Next scan buttons scan between 76.0 and 108.0
  • Auto scan will detect all stations in range between 76.0 and 108.0
  • Can manually enter any frequency between 76.0 and 108.0 on frequency display long press
  • Can manually tune dial to stations between 76.0 and 108.0
  • Can save stations in range to program buttons
  • Can record any available station in range
  • Dial graphics numbers removed
  • Widget tunes to programmed stations including ones in the Japanese range

Not working
  • Requires bandwidth range to be specified in system/csc/feature.xml

This is a work-in-progress, and I welcome any input or feedback. If anyone using other Samsung devices running Jellybean could report their compatibility with this Mod, I'd appreciate it
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shunsai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shunsai Ad-Free
12th August 2013, 04:48 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag 大阪府

Donate to Me
More
Changelog:

5/28/2014 5:47 PM
  • Modded version of KitKat Touchwiz HybridRadio.apk added.
  • The program looks a little plainer in my opinion, but functionality is pretty much the same.

9/4/2013 4:58 PM
  • Can manually tune dial to stations between 76.0 and 108.0
  • Frequency Dial Bar (blue bar) and Frequency Display Bar (red bar) now align and stay in synch throughout the whole tuning range
  • Reverted to the 3/4 Dial layout to correspond to adjusted Frequency Display Bar (red bar) range

8/17/2013 9:36 AM
  • Frequency display bar now accepts any frequency between 76.0 and 108.0!!!
  • Previous versions have been removed from first post. Only the latest version will be posted.
  • Updated Working / Not Working list

8/14/2013 5:37 PM
  • Saved station buttons can now tune to stations between 76.0 and 108.0!!!
  • Widget now displays correct frequency for stations between 76.0 and 108.0!!!

8/12/2013 4:16 PM
  • Edited the stock dial graphic to remove the numbers as the high frequency and low frequency ranges overlap. I figured this looked better than a dial that read 106.5 while the digital Frequency Display read 76.5. The first release has been replaced with this one since there are no differences in the code.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shunsai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shunsai Ad-Free
12th August 2013, 11:21 AM |#4  
Flag Bamberg, Germany
Thanks Meter: 645

More
I give you thanks because I am glad to see how someone has worked out their issue alone without getting nerved at the community.
But maybe Samsung should realize that if they have an international device it should accompany all the frequencies available.
Good work buddy

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jetbruceli For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jetbruceli Ad-Free
12th August 2013, 11:26 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 199

More
Super idea. Shunsai keep rocking.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to vikraminside For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vikraminside Ad-Free
14th August 2013, 10:02 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag 大阪府

Donate to Me
More
APK Updated!!
I've made some more pretty big breakthroughs! I'm really excited about that, especially seeing as this is my first Android app project (started less than a week ago)! The APK has been updated in the first post and you can check the changelog in the 3rd post!

Widget buttons and Saved station buttons are now working perfectly!
For some reason, the manual Frequency Display still won't allow me to enter a frequency below 87.5. By the same token, the frequency dial cannot be turned outside of the 87.5-108.0 range. Also without the cSc setting, the app still only searches between 87.5 and 108.

That may sound like a lot of things that aren't working yet, but in reality, it's about 95% working.

What are you waiting for? Get in there and grab it! In the meantime, I'll continue to bring it even closer to 100%!!
The Following User Says Thank You to shunsai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shunsai Ad-Free
17th August 2013, 02:19 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag 大阪府

Donate to Me
More
MOD Updated! 99% there!
I can't believe it, but I actually figured it out! You can now manually tune to any frequency between 76.0 to 108.0 using the display bar. Just long press the display bar and type in the frequency!

The list of things not working has been whittled down to one. I'm not yet sure how to adjust the dial to the new frequency range. Hopefully I can figure it out soon.

Also, I decided to remove the previous releases of this MOD as there is just no reason for them anymore and they're taking up valuable space. It doesn't seem too many people are interested in FM Radio, and even less of them use international version Samsung phones in Japan, but I do hope someone will get some benefit from this at some point. Enjoy this MOD!

The Following User Says Thank You to shunsai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shunsai Ad-Free
17th August 2013, 02:57 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Great work. I needed it to work without earphones I.e. on loudspeaker. Please try it.

Sent from my GT-I9300
18th August 2013, 08:16 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag 大阪府

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq2kn

Great work. I needed it to work without earphones I.e. on loudspeaker. Please try it.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Thanks for you interest. I'll see if there's anything I can do.

But it should be noted that there is already the option to Play via speaker. It's the first option when you press the menu button. Even if you want to listen by speaker, you need the earphones as they serve as the radio antennae. Without them, all you get is static/white noise.
18th August 2013, 09:58 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunsai

Thanks for you interest. I'll see if there's anything I can do.

But it should be noted that there is already the option to Play via speaker. It's the first option when you press the menu button. Even if you want to listen by speaker, you need the earphones as they serve as the radio antennae. Without them, all you get is static/white noise.

Yes, by using earphones I can switch to loudspeaker but I needed the loudspeaker without plugging-in the earphones.

Sent from my GT-I9300
25th August 2013, 09:20 AM |#11  
Flag Paris
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Since you asked whether it would work on another Samsung, I tried on my Note 1. It runs a Slim JB 4.2.2 (N7000XXLSC) custom rom. Radio stopped working when I switched from HC to ICS. Obliously, I'm therefore rooted and with Superpower.
Radio.apk doesn't want to mount.
Furthermore, I have no CSC folder in system.

Hope it helps.
Cheers and keep on the good work.
It is heartening to see someone working on this silly fm radio situation.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
fm radio, japan, japanese, record, stock fm app

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)