FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Confirmed S4 Proximity Sensor Bug

38 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By hernanmcarg, Member on 13th August 2013, 11:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to MG5, the sensor stays on all the time, and when using the MG5 India ROM the sensor is off, except while using the stock browser, when it turns on after a few minutes, or after making a phonecall the sensor stays on and it only turns off restarting the phone.
This is seriously very weird. I have had many phones, and i've never seen anything like this. Just in case, i want to remark that every single gesture option, auto screen brightness and eye scroll and all those functions were disabled. Every single one. I even thought it could be i had a faulty phone, but i tried two more and they do exactly the same. Has anyone noticed this using a custom ROM? It's easier to see using another's phone camera.

14th August 2013, 02:01 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 308

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanmcarg

Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to MG5, the sensor stays on all the time, and when using the MG5 India ROM the sensor is off, except while using the stock browser, when it turns on after a few minutes, or after making a phonecall the sensor stays on and it only turns off restarting the phone.
This is seriously very weird. I have had many phones, and i've never seen anything like this. Just in case, i want to remark that every single gesture option, auto screen brightness and eye scroll and all those functions were disabled. Every single one. I even thought it could be i had a faulty phone, but i tried two more and they do exactly the same. Has anyone noticed this using a custom ROM? It's easier to see using another's phone camera.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2402121

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to samomamo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift samomamo Ad-Free
14th August 2013, 02:47 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samomamo

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2402121

Sent from my LG-E980 using xda premium

Samomamo thanks a lot for your reply, but if you read what i said and what says in that post, we're talking about completely different things. In that post the guy had a problem with the sensor not working. I never said it didn't work, it works perfectly, it just stays on (aka, you can see a dim red light coming from it) but it works without any problems. Besides, he ended up having a defective phone, and like I said above, i tried 3 phones, from different companies, one of them brand new, and all of them had the same behaviour so I think i can safely discard a hardware problem (unless all three phones were defective, which is unlikely to happen).
Still, thanks for your reply!!
14th August 2013, 12:06 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanmcarg

Hello everyone, a few days ago i posted a question regarding the proximity sensor staying on all the time, even with every gesture option turned off. After trying several stock ROMs and a couple of different S4, all of them have the same issue. I have to note tho that with every ROM previous to ......

This is very strange, I also have stock browser as my primary browser running mg5 but I don't see the proximity sensor light going up (even in darkness). I do web browsing and reading for hours. Is this how you see your proximity sensor light showing slight red? I am still figuring out what you said and will confirm my own findings later today. Will update.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------
First of all, you are right. The proximity sensor does light up when everything is turned off. Literally Smart feature and even smart pause is turned off. So the proximity sensor shouldn't be turned on in the first place. Now that this is clear, Here is what I've found so far.

Bug present in stock browser, not in chrome. The way it turns on the proximity sensor is that as soon as you type any URL in the address bar and press enter, the sensor gets turned on and stays like that unless and until:

-You pull down the notification bar

OR

-Press home button and run the browser again (notice that the browser is still in RAM so we aren't restarting the app).

Then (assuming you have the website already open). You can browse all you want within the website pressing links and what not. But as soon as you use the address bar again, the sensor wakes up again. This is seriously strange and definitely a bug from the software end and not the hardware end.

LAMESUNG is prolly too busy releasing note3 and Galaxy Godzilla 20". So we don't know when will we see the fix for this. Let's hope on the 4.3 update after a couple months.

@ Everyone trying custom Roms and kernals.
Please confirm this if you experience this same issue.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to plasmastate For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift plasmastate Ad-Free
14th August 2013, 02:52 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Plasmastate thank you for testing it. My phone does exactly the same thing you described. One more thing. Look at the sensor through a digital camera or another's phone camera and you'll see it's always on although you can't see it with your bare eyes. The most weird thing is my brother has an iphone 5 and it has the same issue after recent software updates. This is well catalogued in apple forums. Strange huh?
14th August 2013, 09:08 PM |#6  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmastate

This is very strange, I also have stock browser as my primary browser running mg5 but I don't see the proximity sensor light going up (even in darkness). I do web browsing and reading for hours. Is this how you see your proximity sensor light showing slight red? I am still figuring out what you said and will confirm my own findings later today. Will update.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using xda premium[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------
First of all, you are right. The proximity sensor does light up when everything is turned off. Literally Smart feature and even smart pause is turned off. So the proximity sensor shouldn't be turned on in the first place. Now that this is clear, Here is what I've found so far.

Bug present in stock browser, not in chrome. The way it turns on the proximity sensor is that as soon as you type any URL in the address bar and press enter, the sensor gets turned on and stays like that unless and until:

-You pull down the notification bar

OR

-Press home button and run the browser again (notice that the browser is still in RAM so we aren't restarting the app).

Then (assuming you have the website already open). You can browse all you want within the website pressing links and what not. But as soon as you use the address bar again, the sensor wakes up again. This is seriously strange and definitely a bug from the software end and not the hardware end.

LAMESUNG is prolly too busy releasing note3 and Galaxy Godzilla 20". So we don't know when will we see the fix for this. Let's hope on the 4.3 update after a couple months.

@ Everyone trying custom Roms and kernals.
Please confirm this if you experience this same issue.

i have none of those issues you guys mentioned.
14th August 2013, 09:12 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Heerlen
Thanks Meter: 4,086

More
+1 as above. Don`t have those issues either.
14th August 2013, 09:14 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 110

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by im4eversmart

i have none of those issues you guys mentioned.

Do you own a i9500 or the i9505 variant?

14th August 2013, 11:28 PM |#9  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmastate

Do you own a i9500 or the i9505 variant?

I9500
16th August 2013, 04:08 AM |#10  
OP Member

More
Has anyone tried looking at the sensor using a digital camera like i said?
16th August 2013, 04:14 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
I just noticed you guys have custom kernels/roms, so obviously this is a stock rom bug. I should also add that the phone works flawlessly. There's no excessive battery consumption or lag or anything and the sensor works fine.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)