Nexus 7 2013 stuck at Google screen

16 posts
Thanks Meter: 2

By krazzyjman, Junior Member on 20th August 2013, 01:30 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th August 2013, 06:38 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 7,234

More
If you are going to exchange it anyway and it is essentionaly bricked from your standpoint, you might as well try installing the factory images. It can't get any worse, and who knows when you might need the skill set in the future.

I understand if it isn't worth the trouble though. The first time takes a little longer, but after that it takes around 5 minutes per unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfhub Ad-Free
20th August 2013, 06:44 PM |#22  
Flag Mechanicville
Thanks Meter: 1,356

Donate to Me
More
Same exact thing happened to my first nexus 7. I just returned it for a new one. I knew I could probably fix it, but I didn't want to keep it, as it was also just a few days old and was pissed to the point that I just wanted a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium
8th December 2013, 01:11 AM |#23  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub

Well since you are getting stuck on Google, that means your ROM (/system) is not loading.

I would flash boot.img and system.img from the factory restore.

http://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#razor

The restore is in .tar.gz format and within the tar there is a zip file. Within that zip file is boot.img and system.img. You need to extract those (ungzip, then untar, then unzip) and place them in your adb directory.

Boot your tablet into bootloader mode, connect the USB cable, make sure it is recognized as android bootloader interface.

Type

• fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot flash system system.img

assuming no errors
  • fastboot reboot

If on the reboot you still get stuck, push and hold Power for 30-60 seconds and try again.

Fails a second time, something more serious is probably wrong.

If you get stuck on X instead of Google, that means something may be wrong with your user data. Try the 60 second reboot thing again. If it is still stuck on X, boot into recovery and do a wipe data factory reset. See previous post for how to get into recovery.

Thank you sfhub for your post. I finally got my nexus into fastboot mode. i was going to flash what you said through the cmd prompt but used the nexus root toolkit to reinstall my drivers because the device was either unrecognizable or unauthorized. (i had messed with the drivers before - but even before i had the adb bridge wasn't active - it started back up after i entered fastboot and reinstalled the drivers (i never knew that volume down/power combo)). then i flashed the system.img and boot.img and it booted up fine - it took longer than normal but it finally got to the welcome screen.

thanks again ive spent hours trying to figure this out on my own, im glad i found this thread!
15th March 2014, 06:44 AM |#24  

More
I had this same issue, but somehow, the CMD in my windows was not allowing me to type the commands as explained.

The issue happened while I was trying to do a factory reset to wipe out all the garbage I had, and I used the TWRP for that.

The only way that I was able to fix it was to copy the flashed version of Android available in this site into a pen drive, connect this pen drive to my device, and install the zip using TWRP.
11th May 2014, 08:11 AM |#25  

More
Quote:

Well since you are getting stuck on Google, that means your ROM (/system) is not loading.

I would flash boot.img and system.img from the factory restore.

The restore is in .tar.gz format and within the tar there is a zip file. Within that zip file is boot.img and system.img. You need to extract those (ungzip, then untar, then unzip) and place them in your adb directory.

Boot your tablet into bootloader mode, connect the USB cable, make sure it is recognized as android bootloader interface.

Type

• fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • fastboot flash system system.img

assuming no errors
  • fastboot reboot

If on the reboot you still get stuck, push and hold Power for 30-60 seconds and try again.

Fails a second time, something more serious is probably wrong.

If you get stuck on X instead of Google, that means something may be wrong with your user data. Try the 60 second reboot thing again. If it is still stuck on X, boot into recovery and do a wipe data factory reset. See previous post for how to get into recovery.

Thank for your message. I have similar problem. But i can't unlock bootloader. When i type: >fastboot oem unlock i see messae on my table, when i choose yes. And then in command prompt i see erasing userdata and it stuck here. If i poweroff my tablet, i see:
Code:
C:\razor-kot49h>fastboot oem unlock
(bootloader) Unlocking bootloader...
(bootloader) erasing userdata...
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 516.988s
What i doing wrong?
24th December 2014, 09:48 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm stuck at google logo but I can't go into recovery mode.
I had to change the screen (lcd+digitizer assy). It went flawlessly, screen is working. When I booted it, the unit got stuck at "google". I can go into fastmode with no problem. The unit was not root or unlock. I Tried to go into recovery mode, it won't, it just come back at "google". I tried a few tools (Nexus root Toolkit v1.9.9 and One Click Factory Restore). When using these tools in fastboot mode, everything seems to go just fine, no error at all. I tried the latest android version and the original one. Its still stuck to google. I probably broke something by replacing the lcd unit... Any clue what component may cause that ?
24th February 2015, 09:10 PM |#28  

More
Quote:

You don't need to enable USB debugging for fastboot mode.

You just need to press Power+VolDown until you get into the bootloader. That is fastboot mode. It will install Android Bootloader Interface (usb debugging does android debug bridge interface)

I actually didn't realize you weren't unlocked. If that is the case, the unlock process will erase your userdata, so you might as well just do the full factory restore.

First goto bootloader mode using Power+VolDown and connect USB, type

• fastboot oem unlock
You'll see a question on the tablet screen, Press VolUp to go to yes and Power to select.

On the command prompt in windows, you should see it erase userdata and cache.

On the bootloader screen it should have "Start" highlighted (if not, use VolDown to cycle until you see "Start"). Press Power to accept. You should see Google, then it'll go into recovery and format userdata and cache. It'll then try to boot and since /system is having issues, you'll be stuck in Google again.

Go back into bootloader mode, hold Power+VolDown for a while until you see the bootloader screen.

Now grab the factory image as above, gunzip, untar, and you should have a folder razor-jss15j

Copy these files from your adb directory to the razor-jss15j directory
  • adb.exe
  • fastboot.exe
  • AdbWinApi.dll
  • AdbWinUsbApi.dll

In command prompt in the razor-jss15j directory, type
  • flash-all

It should output a bunch of stuff, essentially writing a factory image to your tablet.

When it is done, it'll reboot and hopefully you'll get the initial setup window.

I wrote this up from memory, so hopefully I didn't forget stuff. If something doesn't seem right just ask.

Hi,
I have the same problem, My nexus 7 stack on the Google screen and the debugging is not enabled.
I enter to bootloader screen I have 4 options (Start, Restart bootloader, Recovery mode, Power off), by default its show Start.
I connect the tablet in this point to the usb port of my laptop.
cd to the folder that contain the fastboot.exe and type fastboot.exe oem unlock
as results I get error message: ... FAILED (command write failed (Too many links)) finished. total time 0.720s
I tried it few times and I got the same error.
Do you have any suggestion how can I solve this error?

Thanks so much.
13th March 2015, 01:01 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
My nexus got that problem and is out of warranty now. Any idea what Asus will charge to fix it?
Just to see if it's worth sending to repair...
13th March 2015, 09:29 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by danyfra

My nexus got that problem and is out of warranty now. Any idea what Asus will charge to fix it?
Just to see if it's worth sending to repair...

I sent to the local asus lab and they offered to fix it for 120-150$ . And couldn't guarantee that this is the final price and not higher.
The Following User Says Thank You to iglu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iglu Ad-Free
13th March 2015, 12:48 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iglu

I sent to the local asus lab and they offered to fix it for 120-150$ . And couldn't guarantee that this is the final price and not higher.

Thanks for your feedback.
Makes me wonder if it's worth sending it. Dang, the thing is a year and a half old... I'll think about it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)