FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

AOSP Android Keyboard Not Showing Suggestions

28 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By wadster21, Junior Member on 20th August 2013, 08:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I've searched around and haven't been able to find much info on this. I'm running CM 10.1.2. The default AOSP android keyboard will not show suggestions (or next-word suggestions) when I type. Both options are enabled in the settings. Is this a known issue? I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas before I downgrade to test CM 10.0. Thanks.
20th August 2013, 09:35 PM |#2  
Flag Nowheresville, NJ
Thanks Meter: 622

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadster21

I've searched around and haven't been able to find much info on this. I'm running CM 10.1.2. The default AOSP android keyboard will not show suggestions (or next-word suggestions) when I type. Both options are enabled in the settings. Is this a known issue? I wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas before I downgrade to test CM 10.0. Thanks.

You could always install the Google Keyboard from the Play Store.
20th August 2013, 09:40 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Oregon

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeuss

You could always install the Google Keyboard from the Play Store.

I should have mentioned I already tried that too. Same thing happens.
21st August 2013, 12:58 AM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Oregon

More
Solved
Well, my impatience led me to expand my search from XDA to Google. I found a couple sites which helped me figure out what was going on. Apparently, the suggestion bar does not show up in certain areas you type in, such as Google Now, the browser address bar, and others. But, when composing a text message, in the body of an email, a Facebook status update, and others, the suggestion bar pops right up. Apparently, this behavior is intentional (not sure why...I think it would be useful in those fields too).

I was using the Swype keyboard on my old phone before I got my Skyrocket, and was used to how that worked. Also, as stated in my OP, even though I had "next-word suggestions" checked in the keyboard options, that was not working, even in texts, emails, etc. I was about to cave and pay $0.99 for Swype, but thought to download the Google Keyboard from Google Play again. The "next-word suggestions" / prediction does indeed work when you are typing in a field that gives you the suggestion bar. So, if you have noticed that in your CM 10.1.2 ROM that you are not getting the next-word suggestions with the default Android keyboard (AOSP), download Google Keyboard from the Google Play store, and you should be good to go.
24th June 2019, 01:36 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 132

More
It's a very old thread... But the question it's:
It's again valid at today? I have the same exact issue/trouble. No more suggestion in some parts when i use chrome or other browser and it's very strange because if i use browser to navigate facebook site during post a comment the suggestion it's appears but when i select, for example, the address bar the suggestion bar it's ever clear and completely empty....

How i can this issue?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)