[Solved] 4.2.2 Update S-Pen Inaccuracy Thread

Search This thread

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
I'm opening a new thread to deal with the inaccurate S-Pen issue caused by the official Samsung 4.2.2 update. Thanks to Pakure who exposed the issue here:
N5100 - 4.1.2 -> 4.22 : Findings What's New/Changed..

Here's what we know:
It affects all models: the N5100, N5110 and N5120.

It causes a small offset that seems to be different for different people.

The Note 8.0's S-Pen cannot be calibrated either by the stock firmware or Reset Spen (free) in the play store because its calibration is embedded in the Kernel and not just a configuration file.

N51XXXXXMH2 ROMs seem to be more accurate than N51XXXXXMH1 but still imperfect. Reverting to 4.1.2 or flashing SphereEngine kernel corrects the problem.

Here's what we (or I) don't know:
Is Samsung working on a fix? Please post news here.

Edit 11/1/2013: Solved

The N5100xxxxI1/I2 updates released in October 2013 restore accuracy to the S-Pen. Sadly it took Sammy two months to fix a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Last edited:

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
I Odined back to 4.1.2 and the S-Pen is accurate again. But I had to do a factory reset for the device to boot which is normal for a downgrade.

rumatt

Jul 29, 2013
Oh dear lord. Are you telling me that when the OTA 4.2.2 update comes for the 5110 my pen might stop working properly? Say it isn't so!

galaxy2055

Aug 9, 2012
I flashed 4.2.2 it's the worst rom I have been used for note 8. I returned back to 4.1.2. MG1 and it's. Better than 4.2.2

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

fast-ip

Sep 3, 2008
Well,
i'm looking to the code:

Code:
Code:
static ssize_t epen_hand_store(struct device *dev,
struct device_attribute *attr, const char *buf,
        size_t count)
{
        unsigned int val;

sscanf(buf, "%u", &val);

if (val == 0 || val == 1)
                user_hand = (unsigned char)val;

/* 0:Left hand, 1:Right Hand */
        printk(KERN_DEBUG"epen:%s: hand=%u\n", __func__, user_hand);

return count;
}
#endif

this is our code, where doing:

Quote:
echo "1" > /sys/class/sec/sec_epen/epen_hand
set our hand to right (0 for left).

But this file with the new kernel of the 4.2.2 doesn't appear...

i hope to find the solution soon... it's damn annoying using the screen upside-down to simulate a left-hand ;D

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

really strange:

Quote:
root@ubuntu:~/update1/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom# cat wacom_i2c.c |grep user_hand
unsigned char user_hand = 1;
user_hand = (unsigned char)val;
printk(KERN_DEBUG"epen:%s: hand=%u\n", __func__, user_hand);
root@ubuntu:~/update1/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom#
user_hand is already set to 1 in the source code....hmmmm

----

The file to modify is wacom_i2c.c in:

/root/update1/linux/drivers/input/touchscreen/wacom/

Last edited:

setsunaf

Aug 22, 2013
I use s-pen for drawing a lot, there is definitely an inaccuracy after the latest firmware update. The most accurate s-pen on note series now becomes like the old galaxy note.

Last edited:

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
I noticed this as well when I updated my WiFi model to 4.2.2 leak. I attributed it to the fact it was beta software and returned back to 4.1.2... But are you telling me this still happens on 4.2.2 OTAs? That is unacceptable and is a major oversight.

Seriously, who's testing these updates?!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

intelliriffer

Sep 7, 2012
New Delhi
I noticed this as well when I updated my WiFi model to 4.2.2 leak. I attributed it to the fact it was beta software and returned back to 4.1.2... But are you telling me this still happens on 4.2.2 OTAs? That is unacceptable and is a major oversight.

Seriously, who's testing these updates?!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
I am trying my best to stick to 4.2.2 (on 5100) and awaiting a proper release for my region (instead of the open europe build OXA) , hoping that may fix this. otherwise back to 4.1.2 is imminent.

Can anyone with official 4.2.2 firmware release for their respective region also confirm this issue?

the Doctor

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2011
In the TARDIS
I am trying my best to stick to 4.2.2 (on 5100) and awaiting a proper release for my region (instead of the open europe build OXA) , hoping that may fix this. otherwise back to 4.1.2 is imminent.

Can anyone with official 4.2.2 firmware release for their respective region also confirm this issue?

I was using Thailand CSC N5100OLBCMH1.

Reactions: intelliriffer

kelvinartz

Aug 23, 2013

I updated to official 4.2.2 (from Malaysia) & encountered the same issue too. The offset is ~5 o'clock. What's worse is that the offset at top half of the screen is worse than at bottom of the screen.

Slipurson

Feb 25, 2011
Fagersta
The offset is there in the N5120XXCMH1-firmare (UK 4.2.2 Release for LTE version) also. as someone else mentioned, it is at about 5 o'clock.

Attached an image with the S-Pen resting on the screen just enough to not remove the ring. for me this isnt really a problem since i mainly take notes and make simple drawings for work. But i can see that this would be irritating for artists etc.

But to go as far as calling it unusable is imho silly for the "normal" user.

Attachments

• 20130823_064412.jpg
    20130823_064412.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 821

mame3876

Aug 9, 2013
offset

hi guys

i'm running the leaked 4.2.2 wifi only (5110) i can confirm offset is there, same dinamycs everyone is experincing.

i can only hope samsung is taking longer in releasing the wifi version cause maybe they are correcting this bug

Reactions: the Doctor

janjannsen99

Jan 6, 2013
l havent noticed this at all ' 1 dont see any offset problems at all In using Civutos ROM

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

housered

Mar 12, 2013
4.2.2 on Indonesian FW. Confirming the S-Pen accuracy problem. If I draw a horizontal line in portrait mode, the line appears slightly below where it should be. Quite annoying to say the least.

mame3876

Aug 9, 2013
4.2.2 on Indonesian FW. Confirming the S-Pen accuracy problem. If I draw a horizontal line in portrait mode, the line appears slightly below where it should be. Quite annoying to say the least.

have the same issue if i draw a line vertically overwriting the black line of the simple note patter, my line in 2 mm on the side.

hope they will fix that with update 4.2.2 official for wifi Only. Nosurprise samsung is taking so long to release it, considering for the other 2 models was released time ago with 1 week time from each other.

janjannsen99

Jan 6, 2013
Actually I see it now it's below where you want when drawing. Yup it's there

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

Doesn't do it on my Note 2

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I am about to buy Note 8.0 in the US - Wifi only.

Will current Note 8.0 have 4.2.2 and that means I cannot revert back to 4.2.1?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If its enough with the boot.img that i get when i do a nandroid-backup, here it is:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44731166/boot.img
    Ok , will see what I can do.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Please take a look here as this is beta for the LTE 5120 Android 4.2.2 only supported.

It is the SphereEngine kernel with S-Pen fix and all the other stuff , OC ....
    #############################################################################
    Reported to work so the 5120 users on 4.2.2 can use my SphereEngine kernel to solve the S-pen problem.
    I'm opening a new thread to deal with the inaccurate S-Pen issue caused by the official Samsung 4.2.2 update. Thanks to Pakure who exposed the issue here:
    N5100 - 4.1.2 -> 4.22 : Findings What's New/Changed..

Here's what we know:
    It affects all models: the N5100, N5110 and N5120.

It causes a small offset that seems to be different for different people.

The Note 8.0's S-Pen cannot be calibrated either by the stock firmware or Reset Spen (free) in the play store because its calibration is embedded in the Kernel and not just a configuration file.

N51XXXXXMH2 ROMs seem to be more accurate than N51XXXXXMH1 but still imperfect. Reverting to 4.1.2 or flashing SphereEngine kernel corrects the problem.

Here's what we (or I) don't know:
    Is Samsung working on a fix? Please post news here.

Edit 11/1/2013: Solved

The N5100xxxxI1/I2 updates released in October 2013 restore accuracy to the S-Pen. Sadly it took Sammy two months to fix a problem that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

I updated to official 4.2.2 (from Malaysia) & encountered the same issue too. The offset is ~5 o'clock. What's worse is that the offset at top half of the screen is worse than at bottom of the screen.
    When I update to MH2. Spen work correct. :D
    Placebo effect of a higher number.
    To me, MH2 is better than MH1 but both are inaccurate. Doing a factory reset did not improve the accuracy of MH2.

Wiping data isn't going to help a thing, it is driver related so it is in the kernel.
    Not possible as the stock kernel got a wrong setting in it and offset in framework, so it will never be spot on.
    SphereEngine kernel is for now the only kernel that aligns the s-pen correctly.
    And if you are asking me samsung isn't going to change a thing about it.
    The offset is there in the N5120XXCMH1-firmare (UK 4.2.2 Release for LTE version) also. as someone else mentioned, it is at about 5 o'clock.

Attached an image with the S-Pen resting on the screen just enough to not remove the ring. for me this isnt really a problem since i mainly take notes and make simple drawings for work. But i can see that this would be irritating for artists etc.

But to go as far as calling it unusable is imho silly for the "normal" user.