FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP] Wolf3d

167 posts
Thanks Meter: 184

Post Reply Email Thread
I've attached the Windows RT binaries for NewWolf and EcWolf, both of which are Wolfenstein 3D ports.

NewWolf features OpenGL rendering, but does not have any sound support because the port uses a proprietary (ie: no source code) sound engine. To run NewWolf use the included batch file as there is an issue with 16bit color depth (the batch file will force 32bit).

more info -> http://newwolf.sourceforge.net/

EcWolf is straight up software rendered using SDL with full sound support and is very true to the original. Simply run ecwolf.exe.

more info -> http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/

I have also included the original Wolf3D 'demo' game files so people should be able to play this straight away. If anyone has concerns about this, let me know and I'll remove the game data.

These are also on the SVN repo, so feel free to pull it from there if you like.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wolf3d.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2210161  
Attached Files
File Type: 7z wolf3d_arm.7z - [Click for QR Code] (3.36 MB, 122 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bfosterjr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bfosterjr Ad-Free

24th August 2013, 12:43 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
The original game files were shareware I think, I dont think anyone can complain about you throwing in shareware files for an old game.

Nice work yet again. I was just about to ask if you had considered doom, but it seems you've already done it :P
24th August 2013, 01:37 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Offtopic.
SixSixSevenSeven, i see you know a lot of about Windows RT and porting apps, and i have a Little question. I need a C Compiler for my Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Engineering, and i don't have any laptop for running a C Compiler. I'v tried searching a C Compiler for Windows RT (I'v only seen a C# Compiler) and i want to know if will be possible to run something like gcc in Windows RT, saving money buying a laptop.

Thanks
24th August 2013, 02:37 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by comandospi

SixSixSevenSeven, i see you know a lot of about Windows RT and porting apps, and i have a Little question. I need a C Compiler for my Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Engineering, and i don't have any laptop for running a C Compiler. I'v tried searching a C Compiler for Windows RT (I'v only seen a C# Compiler) and i want to know if will be possible to run something like gcc in Windows RT, saving money buying a laptop.

Thanks

Not yet. MinGW might run under the x86 emulator but anything it produces will also only run under the x86 emulator, and that emulator isnt 100% reliable and it is rather slow.

You would be best off with a laptop, sorry.
Also not really something to be discussed here.
24th August 2013, 03:33 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSixSevenSeven

Not yet. MinGW might run under the x86 emulator but anything it produces will also only run under the x86 emulator, and that emulator isnt 100% reliable and it is rather slow.

You would be best off with a laptop, sorry.
Also not really something to be discussed here.

I tried MinGW under Win86Emu but the setup doesn't work properly. I found a Little C compiler (Tiny C Compiler) and works perfectly with Win86Emu (at least some simple code), so i think that this could save me temporarily from buying a laptop.

Sorry for asking about this here, but thanks so much for the Win86Emu idea
2nd September 2013, 09:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Already exists?
There is a Wolfenstein port in the Windows app store called Wolf.
3rd September 2013, 05:02 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surface-RT

There is a Wolfenstein port in the Windows app store called Wolf.

Looks like it only has the 1st level based on the comments... a Demo of sorts I guess. These ports would allow you to play the complete game, assuming you have access to the game files. I have no idea if you could use the complete game files with this Store version.

I haven't actually tried either of these ports yet. But I am curious on whether they are an improvement over the original DOS game? I've played that a bit using DOSBox on my Surface...
3rd September 2013, 07:44 PM |#8  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by domboy

Looks like it only has the 1st level based on the comments... a Demo of sorts I guess. These ports would allow you to play the complete game, assuming you have access to the game files. I have no idea if you could use the complete game files with this Store version.

I haven't actually tried either of these ports yet. But I am curious on whether they are an improvement over the original DOS game? I've played that a bit using DOSBox on my Surface...

This port is running natively, otherwise it is essentially the same as the dos version. But running natively means it requires less CPU power (no x86 + DOS emulation) which might help keep the tablet cooler and prolong battery.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)