FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ TOOL ][ UNIVERSAL ][ Win/Linux/Mac ] - Tar To Flashable Zip ( recovery only )

3,234 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,304

Post Reply Email Thread
Please note, this software is no longer maintained. Due to my hectic work life sadly, I no longer have time for programming. I have attached a copy of the last version to this post.

[ ABOUT ]

Tar To Flashable Zip is a multi-platform utility designed to build flashable Android recoveries from various input formats. The supported input formats are .img from your local filesystem as well as compressed .tar or .tar.md5 archives.

Tar To Flashable Zip runs on Windows XP and newer, Linux/Ubuntu, and on OSX ( supposedly, not tested )

I'll also be putting this utility on my web site within the next couple of days

[ REQUIREMENTS ]

Tar To Flashable Zip is written in Python, so it needs Python to be installed on your machine as well.

Windows users will need to install either of the software pairs listed below from their prospective developers or drop down to the "REQUIRED SOFTWARE" section and download the zip archive I'm hosting which contains the first required software pair listed below.

Linux/Ubuntu users should use their update mechanism to update Python and install wxPython to the equivalent of either of the software pairs listed below.

Mac users will need to do what ever they need to do, sorry for the lack of information, to install/update Python to their equivalent of either of the software pairs listed below.

Python 2.7.5 + wxPython 2.8
OR
Python 3.3 + wxPython 2.9 Phoenix ( Snapshot nightly builds )

NOTE::
I feel I must explain why the above softwares are required. For those of you who already know me, I've written a couple tools for Android that run on Windows only as I am a Windows programmer. In any case, I've had several requests to make Linux versions of the same utility apps. Since I'm not a Linux programmer, I was unable to grant those requests.

I'm here to help everyone that I can help. That's just me... That being said, after some reasearch I found Python to be the easiest way for me to be able to help more people with the utilities that I develop. Python will enable me to develop more and more useful utilities for the Android community while requiring less of my time to develop them. So in the end, installing Python is a win - win situation

[ REQUIRED SOFTWARE ]

Tar To Flashable Zip was written in Python. Therefore the Python interpreter is required. Tar To Flashable Zip's GUI uses wxPython. The archive linked below for Windows users has both Python 2.7.5 and wxPython 2.8. Obviously after extracting the archives contents you need to run Python's installer msi to install Python first. Then install wxPython. The installers will install 32-bit versions of Python and wxPython. This is fine even if you are using a 64-bit machine.

Windows XP and newer users -> python-2.7.5_win32+wxPython-2.8_win32.zip
Linux/Ubuntu users -> Please use your update tool to update Python to 2.7.5 and wxPython 2.8 or update Python to 3.3 and wxPython to 2.9 Phoenix
Mac users -> Please see the "REQUIREMENTS" section above

[ DOWNLOADS ]

See below

[ THANKS ]

@CodyF86 - For his Python expertise and beta testing

Attached Files
File Type: zip TarToFlashableZip_1.0.0.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (174.4 KB, 266 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shinobisoft For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinobisoft Ad-Free

25th August 2013, 08:36 PM |#2  
Flag Grand Junction, CO
Thanks Meter: 3,875

Donate to Me
More
Works great! Everyone should learn Python btw, it's amazing!
The Following User Says Thank You to CodyF86 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CodyF86 Ad-Free
29th August 2013, 02:33 PM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 29,116

Donate to Me
More
Working on P3110 =) Good work

Waiting for tar.md5 to zip
The Following User Says Thank You to Android-Andi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Android-Andi Ad-Free
29th August 2013, 03:39 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Knoxville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Thanks @Android-Andi.
Support for .tar.md5 as well as .IMG files coming soon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shinobisoft For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinobisoft Ad-Free
30th August 2013, 04:53 AM |#5  
Flag Knoxville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Update available. Check the OP

Support for extracting from .tar.md5 archives had been added however there is no checksum verification provided at this time.
View "CHANGELOG.txt" for complete details;
The Following User Says Thank You to shinobisoft For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinobisoft Ad-Free
4th October 2013, 05:22 PM |#6  
Flag Bengaluru
Thanks Meter: 29

More
What about 64bit Windows 7 users

Sent from my GT-I9152 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
4th October 2013, 06:16 PM |#7  
Flag Knoxville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalaN83

What about 64bit Windows 7 users

Sent from my GT-I9152 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Install the 32 bit versions of python and wxpython. I develop on a windows 7 64 bit PC. 32 bit works on 64 bit too

Sent from my LG-P509
29th November 2013, 06:01 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 171

More
Somewhat new to this stuff so I'm kinda learning as I go, so please be gentle with me

I'm not sure what my "mount" point is for my phone, Samsung Epic 4g touch SPH-D710

I am currently looking for a file I can open and look at it to learn this stuff but am not sure where to look or what file to go to.
Only thing I have is a tar file, and it has a zimage file in it (the kernel), it's the EL29 direct boot tar file.
Only 2 files available that I can find and that's the odin one click exe and this tar file, no zips, so I'm not even sure this will work, but I'd sure like to find out.
What I wanna do in short is make a flashable zip of this tar file to use in CWM recovery.

Hope that's not to much info, I always tend to do that

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Somewhat new to this stuff so I'm kinda learning as I go, so please be gentle with me

I'm not sure what my "mount" point is for my phone, Samsung Epic 4g touch SPH-D710

I am currently looking for a file I can open and look at it to learn this stuff but am not sure where to look or what file to go to.
Only thing I have is a tar file, and it has a zimage file in it (the kernel), it's the EL29 direct boot tar file.
Only 2 files available that I can find and that's the odin one click exe and this tar file, no zips, so I'm not even sure this will work, but I'd sure like to find out.
What I wanna do in short is make a flashable zip of this tar file to use in CWM recovery.

I found my mountable according to the files I have as a zip, it shows as /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p6.

I've tried putting both those in the recovery mount space and hit convert, but nothing happens.

The file name I am useing is E4GT-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 from rwilco site here http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.ph...ect%20Boot/TAR

Not sure if that helps or not
29th November 2013, 06:22 PM |#9  
Flag Knoxville, TN

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider77

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

I found my mountable according to the files I have as a zip, it shows as /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 and /dev/block/mmcblk0p6.

I've tried putting both those in the recovery mount space and hit convert, but nothing happens.

The file name I am useing is E4GT-EL29-directbootCWM-v3.tar.md5 from rwilco site here http://www.rwilco12.com/downloads.ph...ect%20Boot/TAR

Not sure if that helps or not

Sorry, currently this tool does not support zImage format. Does your device support fastboot? If so and my memory serves me correctly, fastboot can flash zImage formatted images.
28th April 2014, 06:53 PM |#10  
Flag khalkis/Greece
Thanks Meter: 45

Donate to Me
More
I tried your advice today to convert an .tar.md5 rom to .zip.
Everything worked as you say but the .zip file I'm taking as result is 7.5 mb from a tar.md5 rom 2.02 giga. ..
Is me or something else ? Regards

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
29th April 2014, 03:29 AM |#11  
Flag ►KERALA◄
Thanks Meter: 2,438

More
Angry
Well this is good!

I tested it successfully... on my Windows XP SP3

I think there is a misunderstanding about this tool. Most of the users think that this tool can convert the whole tar/tar.md5 file to a ROM zip file. Actually it does with recovery.img only.... It's already specified in the thread... but not in the thread title....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharakis

I tried your advice today to convert an .tar.md5 rom to .zip.
Everything worked as you say but the .zip file I'm taking as result is 7.5 mb from a tar.md5 rom 2.02 giga. ..
Is me or something else ? Regards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brijeshep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brijeshep Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
make cwm zip, recovery, tar to flashable zip, universal

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)