The TA partition contains all your DRM keys for the Bravia/X-Reality Engine.
The first time you mess with your phone by unlocking the bootloader, these DRM keys will be deleted!
Before you mess with your phone in any capacity, you must make a backup of these DRM keys, or you may loose them forever.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2292598 (Please read the whole thread. The following is just an extract.) (Credit to DevShaft)
Backup TA for Sony Xperia
Backup TA can backup and restore the TA partition of the device. When you create a backup before unlocking for the first time, then you will be able to restore to full factory state (including a locked bootloader). This means all DRM keys intact, Bravia Engine working in Album and last but not least your warranty when needed .
READ: At the bottom of this post is the FAQ. Here you will find answers on the most asked questions. Read them before posting any question in this thread. When you post a question which is already answered in the FAQ, I will ignore you and smile .
Also when you want my support, tell me which device and version of Backup TA you're using and attach the complete output. I can not help you without this and besides it's really not so much to ask in return, now is it? No effort without effort.
This tool only works under Windows. Mac and Linux will not be supported. Using this tool is at your own risk.
Source (released under MIT license)
Stable releases do have a version tag like this: v1.0 (example)
Beta releases do have a version tag like this: v1.0b2 (example).
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
1. Download the latest version of Backup TA.
2. Extract the ZIP file to a folder location of your choosing.
3. Navigate to the folder location of Backup TA.
4. Make sure no other script or application which is using ADB is running.
5. Make sure the device is booted in normal mode, the way you normally use it.
6. Run Backup-TA.bat
7. Read the license.
8. Choose one of the menu options.
9. Follow the instructions given by the tool.
Q: Is my device supported?
A: Look at the supported devices list above this FAQ. When it is not listed, try to make a backup it will tell you if your device is supported.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2428319 (Please read the whole thread. The following is just an extract.) (Credit to krabappel2548)
== Backup TA partition ==
Backing up your TA partition will give you a backup of your locked device with DRM keys for Bravia/X-Reality Engine
- To be able to backup your TA partition you need to switch to the "pro mode" in FlashTool
- Open file menu and click "switch pro"
- After this you should have a new menu option available called "advanced"
- To backup your TA click "Advanced => Trim Area => S1 => Backup:
- Connect your device in Flash mode to backup TA
- Select your device by doubkle clicking on it in the list:
- Wait until Flashtool is finished