By tom.pratt, Member on 2nd September 2013, 05:58 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th January 2014, 07:49 PM |#21  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 218

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinglyBill

Hi Callum, good question and it's something I've looked into in quite some depth. The main problem is that the notification listener service is good for displaying individual notifications, but it doesn't particularly lend itself to counting notifications.

Think of a messaging app like Whatsapp for example. When you receive a new message the notification listener will tell you. When you receive a second message without having read the first one Whatsapp will replace its existing notification with one that tells you that you have two unread notifications but there is still only one active notification. Notifyer doesn't actually know how many messages are there, it can't read the notification and it cant see into Whatsapp to find out, but it can count each time a notification arrives. Now imagine that you go into Whatsapp and read one of your two new messages. Now Whatsapp will update its existing notification to say that you have one new message. Notifyer can see that the notification has been modified but the problem is that Notifyer doesn't know how much the count should go down by (how many messages you actually opened). At the moment it just works by resetting the count to zero whenever you close down that particular app, which is possible with accessibility services but not the notification listener (accessibility services can see other things than notifications such as what app is currently occupying the screen).

That's just one example but bear in mind that in top of that, different Android apps work in massively different ways when it comes to notifications and unfortunately the notification listener service just does provide all information needed for Notifyer to figure an accurate count.

Hope that explains it, I know it seems crazy not to be using it for an app like this and I was slightly disappointed when I realised that it wasn't going to work.

Cheers,
Tom

Wow what a great answer Thank you

Will have a play with the free version before paying though, would you consider adding more badge theming options though? Such as the kit kat light theme that nova has? I did pay for the app and had a look but refunded it

Also would it be possible to set this up so it doesn't require a widget and works with the icons no matter what? Would love this to work in app drawers?

Regards
Callum

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

27th January 2014, 08:49 PM |#22  
Flag RAWALPINDI
Thanks Meter: 617

More
Works well with gs4.

Sent from Note 3 (The beauty & beast)
The Following User Says Thank You to sohebq For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sohebq Ad-Free
28th January 2014, 02:50 PM |#23  
Flag Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 54

Donate to Me
More
Are widgets the only solution at this time to enable these notifications? I thought this app would enable a simple overlay over existing icons much like the Nova or Apex apps?
28th January 2014, 03:21 PM |#24  
Flag ▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █
Thanks Meter: 398

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver78

Are widgets the only solution at this time to enable these notifications? I thought this app would enable a simple overlay over existing icons much like the Nova or Apex apps?

Yes and its a bummer. I was hoping the same. My dock doesnt allow widgets so I cant place them using this app.
28th January 2014, 04:05 PM |#25  
Flag Czech Republic
Thanks Meter: 54

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by idle0095

Yes and its a bummer. I was hoping the same. My dock doesnt allow widgets so I cant place them using this app.

I'm using GEL and the icons don't really match those of GEL (at least on a Nexus 5) and specifically neither does the default text (condensed Roboto, whatever it is)
10th February 2014, 08:31 PM |#26  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Hi,
Very nice application. I have some questions and problem
I'm using CM11 4.4.2* (galaxy s2) .
1) How to add widgets to the lock screen (cm11)?
2) Twitter notification does not work (5.1.0 version)
3) Can you add different colors to Nova style notification ( white and "flat" colors)

Notification count wrong..
My mail inbox 6 notification count 2 ..

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to iceman_34 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iceman_34 Ad-Free
3rd March 2014, 09:32 PM |#27  
Flag Buzau
Thanks Meter: 294

More
Quote:

Hi everyone, here's my app Notifyer. Provides a notification bubble over your app icons like on iOS.

Cheers guys, let me know what you think.
Tom

Hi! Please add support for notification bubble over app icons in lockscreen. Thank you much.
Best Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	2611574  
3rd March 2014, 11:19 PM |#28  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Hi guys. I'm working on an update at the moment for the first time in ages. I'm making a few little tweaks to make Notifyer more compatible with Android 4.3 and 4.4 (new fonts etc). Also adding some extra features like a screen for building custom notification bubbles.

Hoping to create a proper lock screen widget for Notifyer too as a follow up update. In the meantime you can use something like WidgetLocker to add Notifyer widgets to the lock screen. There is an option in Notifyer called Hide If Zero Notifications, meant for Notifyer widgets on widgetlocker. Just means they are hidden until you get some notifications.

Keep an eye out for the updates. There will be more feature available in the free version and some brand new features in the paid.

Please post up any suggestions or features requests.

Cheers,
Tom
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom.pratt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom.pratt Ad-Free
4th March 2014, 11:15 AM |#29  
Flag Bad Vilbel
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:

Hi guys. I'm working on an update at the moment for the first time in ages. I'm making a few little tweaks to make Notifyer more compatible with Android 4.3 and 4.4 (new fonts etc). Also adding some extra features like a screen for building custom notification bubbles.

Hoping to create a proper lock screen widget for Notifyer too as a follow up update. In the meantime you can use something like WidgetLocker to add Notifyer widgets to the lock screen. There is an option in Notifyer called Hide If Zero Notifications, meant for Notifyer widgets on widgetlocker. Just means they are hidden until you get some notifications.

Keep an eye out for the updates. There will be more feature available in the free version and some brand new features in the paid.

Please post up any suggestions or features requests.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom,
It would be great if there is an option to save the space between the icons (widgets) or maybe a "overlay" option.

Thanks Yoshi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-03-04-12-10-16.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2612599  
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshi Joghurt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Yoshi Joghurt Ad-Free
14th March 2014, 12:24 PM |#30  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Any news?

GT-I9100 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
14th March 2014, 07:23 PM |#31  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Hi still working on it whenever I get the chance. Pretty busy at work and everything but doing my best to push on with the update.

I will set up a beta testing group soon for anyone who wants to try out the new features early.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tom.pratt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tom.pratt Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)