READ THIS BEFORE GOING TO THE S-OFF THREADS
This simple guide is aimed at giving you the best chance at achieving S-OFF on your device. Although not all of the steps listed below are 100% necessary if you are failing to achieve S-OFF or still receiving errors of any sort then you either cannot S-OFF your phone or you haven't followed the guide. In my opinion your best hope for S-OFF is by using RUMRUNNER. It supports the largest amounts of firmware and the support is great.
You should only use MOONSHINE/REVONE to S-Off if......
2. Have an old un-patched 1.44 HBoot or If on T-Mob or AT&T and on Patched 1.44 HBoot you have downgraded using one of the guides provided at the bottom of this post. (NOTE: To my knowledge patched 1.44 HBoot's are most likely those dated from June 2013 onwards, to check this reboot to bootloader and find the date there.)
3. Use the up to date 0.2.1 revone (the older ones give false successes)
4. Are Rooted (Not necessary but seems to improve chances of success)
5. Have the correct Moonshine package for your exact firmware and software version! If your firmware is not on the site and there is no way of you getting a matching firmware then you can't use it!
6. Are not on stock 4.2 software upgraded via OTA. (NOTE: Custom 4.2 Software may be OK as long as your HBoot is still 1.44)
7. Are not using a GE ROM, 4.3 Rom or on stock 4.3 software
8. Are not on HBoot 1.54 or higher
9. Are NOT on HBoot 1.54 or higher
10. ARE NOT ON HBOOT 1.54 OR HIGHER
11. Are not an Idiot! (Most important of all)
Before you try RUMRUNNER you must.....
2. Ensure that if your device is carrier branded you are running stock firmware/software for your carrier (i.e H3G = 2.24.771.3)
3. Have your bootloader unlocked!
4. Use the correct RumRunner package for your device firmware. If you are not then flash Stock software matching your correct carrier firmware before starting.
5. Have HTC Sync removed from your computer!
6. Have firewalls, antivirus and anything else turned off or un-installed! (Ensure to turn back on after completion )
7. Have read the RumRunner thread and Site HERE and know you can email them with your firmware version so maybe they can S-OFF your phone! But DO NOT pester them on their IRC channel, that is for support only!!
8. Have more then 40% battery life.....
9. Not be an idiot! (Always the most important point!)
1. If it still isn't working try a different stock rom and re-flash your correct stock firmware and try RumRunner again
2. If RumRunner gets to pouring (5)... Or higher it's more then likely failed already.
3. Some branded firmware's might work with the international package i.e 126.96.36.199 works with the 2.24.401.1 rumrunner package.
Again as I stated earlier some of these may not apply but if you want to guarantee revone or moonshine to work then you should follow these rules! Also in addition to this. READ THE OP of the threads in question (and POST 2 of revone!) They are your bible and will tell you what to do.
If you aren't sure what S-OFF is, does, why you might need it or how to achieve it safely then you DO NOT NEED S-OFF. You could ruin your phone and you really should start with more basic things first!!
WARNING Going back to S-ON isn't necessary for warranty, just lock the bootloader and go back to a stock rom/recovery if you do decide to be crazy and go S-ON again you may receive back a non-s-offable device that isn't supported by any of the above methods... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED
Error codes and what they mean (from my experience, and what I've read!) ;-
Error Code -2 = I've seen people report this but revone has actually worked so should you see this try and reboot and carry on, if not then try changing ROMs and try again.
Error Code -6 = More then likely you're on either a patched or a 1.54 HBoot and you're not going to be able to S-Off. If you reboot to bootloader and you're on 1.44 then you might be able to downgrade using one of the guides on xda. Xboarder's guide on rootzwiki for TMob is a good one. In addition you may be on the right 1.44 HBoot but the software/ROM you're running could be the issue. In any case run a stock RUU for your CID and you should be sorted.
Error Code 1 = I've had this myself and this basically means it's not ever going to work. I think it's a variant on the -6 Error. If you see this, you're out of luck IMO.
Link for T-Mobile Device HBoot Downgrade to enable S-OFF HERE
Link for AT&T Device HBoot Downgrade to enable S-OFF HERE
Additional Info (On Downgrading HBoot from 1.54 with S-ON)
Note these methods WILL NOT WORK to downgrade HBoot from 1.54 to 1.44 while S-ON!
1. Running an old RUU for your device with a lower HBoot inside
2. Writing directly to any of the board or hboot partitions mmcblk0p4, mmcblk0p5, mmcblk0p12. This includes:-
a) dd'ing your hboot/board image, editing the version then dd'ing it back
b) dd'ing any other hboot/board image to your hboot partition mmcblk0p12
c) dd'ing anything to anything!! HBoot and board are WP from low boot and cannot be written to or modified at all unless S-OFF
d) chmodding mmcblk0p12, deleting it, editing it, or anything else you might thing could work
e) using recovery to flash to mmcblk0p12 using busybox and dd command.
f) anything else I missed (I hope you're getting the picture here anyway) Oh and note, if you try to dd and it says it worked.... It didn't!
3. Modifying and flashing an encrypted or decrypted rom.zip, firmware.zip, PN07IMG.zip or RUU.zip from recovery, fastboot or RUU mode
4. Flashing an old encrypted or decrypted rom.zip, firmware.zip, PN07IMG.zip or RUU.zip from recovery, fastboot or RUU mode
5. Using a Y-Cable with or without a goldcard to flash an old PN07IMG.zip
6. Using a Y-Cable with or without a goldcard to flash a modified PN07IMG.zip
7. Running a modified RUU with old or editied HBoot version
8. *Not totally proven yet* Trying to brick the phone by shutting it off during RUU.zip install at the HBoot writing stage. (This has only been tried once so far and didn't pay off, I would not advise trying this unless you are a "VERY" confident/crazy android user/dev)