FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLVED] Nexus 7 headphone jack problem - sound not coming from one side of earphone/

179 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By sauravdante, Senior Member on 4th September 2013, 01:06 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
NOTE: This is not my solution... Credit goes to someone else

So I have been using nexus 7 for past 11 months... At first the headphone jack was working fine, I was getting good sound from both the ear buds but then it stopped working nd i never really cared about it because I use headphones with my nexus 7 less. But now that I got myself a JBL J04 I wanted to watch movies with these beasts on.... So i did some digging on net.

PROBLEM: The headphone jack is not working fine, it was giving sound in only one side of headphone(left one in my case) but when plugging a speaker jack it seemed to work fine. I have used both creative speakers and mini speakers. I have used mine skullcandy earphones and also jbl headphones but sound was only coming from one side... And in jbl headphones it was coming very very low.

SOLUTION: When you open up the back cover and see the loudspeakers module... There is somewhat copper conductive part revealed under those two loud speakers, and they gets in contact with the metal of back cover, when back cover is closed. So we need to TAPE THIS REVEALED COPPER side and voila mine headphones got working like a charm. For a good reference image is attached. This worked in my case so I dnt know maybe it will work for others or not. And yeah in my case I used black electrical tape.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to sauravdante For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sauravdante Ad-Free

4th September 2013, 01:12 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Image for solution

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1378296739051.jpg
Views:	48596
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	2234225  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sauravdante For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sauravdante Ad-Free
12th September 2013, 07:22 AM |#3  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thumbs up
Hey that actually worked! thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdante

NOTE: This is not my solution... Credit goes to someone else

So I have been using nexus 7 for past 11 months... At first the headphone jack was working fine, I was getting good sound from both the ear buds but then it stopped working nd i never really cared about it because I use headphones with my nexus 7 less. But now that I got myself a JBL J04 I wanted to watch movies with these beasts on.... So i did some digging on net.

PROBLEM: The headphone jack is not working fine, it was giving sound in only one side of headphone(left one in my case) but when plugging a speaker jack it seemed to work fine. I have used both creative speakers and mini speakers. I have used mine skullcandy earphones and also jbl headphones but sound was only coming from one side... And in jbl headphones it was coming very very low.

SOLUTION: When you open up the back cover and see the loudspeakers module... There is somewhat copper conductive part revealed under those two loud speakers, and they gets in contact with the metal of back cover, when back cover is closed. So we need to TAPE THIS REVEALED COPPER side and voila mine headphones got working like a charm. For a good reference image is attached. This worked in my case so I dnt know maybe it will work for others or not. And yeah in my case I used black electrical tape.

13th September 2013, 03:41 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by u.gr3y

Hey that actually worked! thanks man!

Ur welcome bro
The Following User Says Thank You to sauravdante For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sauravdante Ad-Free
10th October 2013, 02:47 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I know this is a bit late but after sending my tablet out for two RMA s for this problem I thought it was fixed. It's been off warranty since the end of July and yesterday the jack started screening up again with the left ear bud not working intermittently. If you tapped it it would come on and off. So I opened it up and tried this fix and it worked great. So much for Asus customer care I just needed electrical tape.

Thank you very much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free
13th October 2013, 02:35 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
If speakers work fine, the problem might be in the headphone jack contacts, as was in my case. One of the contacts was broken and I could hear sound only from the right earphone. So I just put something between the jack and the back cover and now everything works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nexus7.jpg
Views:	15634
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2321323  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wild Rat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Wild Rat Ad-Free
17th October 2013, 05:57 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Rat

If speakers work fine, the problem might be in the headphone jack contacts, as was in my case. One of the contacts was broken and I could hear sound only from the right earphone. So I just put something between the jack and the back cover and now everything works great!

Can u explain me in a little detailed view.....i cant seem to get u what u r saying.

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
17th October 2013, 05:59 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotth324

I know this is a bit late but after sending my tablet out for two RMA s for this problem I thought it was fixed. It's been off warranty since the end of July and yesterday the jack started screening up again with the left ear bud not working intermittently. If you tapped it it would come on and off. So I opened it up and tried this fix and it worked great. So much for Asus customer care I just needed electrical tape.

Thank you very much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

Dude theres a thanks button ヅ

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th October 2013, 09:54 PM |#9  
Flag Orem
Thanks Meter: 2

More
My problem is that it will not switch to the headphones when headphones are plugged in. It stays on speakers. Before I start digging around do any of you believe it is a hardware issue? I reset the tablet completely twice - didn't work.
3rd November 2013, 10:58 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauravdante

SOLUTION: There is somewhat copper conductive part revealed under those two loud speakers, and they gets in contact with the metal of back cover, when back cover is closed. So we need to TAPE THIS REVEALED COPPER side and voila mine headphones got working like a charm.

I didn't have any copper exposed, but it worked. Thank you.
3rd December 2013, 03:47 PM |#11  
Flag Markham, ON
Thanks Meter: 145

More
This post saved me a bunch of time and trial and error. I was not getting sound from my left headphone and found a small piece of plastic from packaging solved the problem. I just folded it to make it springy and tight when compressed and it just stuck to the input jack (I provided images). So when I snap the battery cover back on it pushes the headphone jack back into place. Free 5 minute fix.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nate51 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nate51 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)