FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] MHL Adapter - charging but still dropping battery

29 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

Post Reply Email Thread
I bought a MHL Adapter (microUSB - HDMI) from DealExterme [1].

It works well, even without power, but when I put the original charger (2A), the S4 starts charging but can't even hold the charge. The charge will slowly dropping over time.

Is this normal?

[1] MHL to HDMI Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 / S4 i9500 / Note II N7100 - Red + Black ($9.40)
dx.com/p/217340

4th September 2013, 05:45 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Yeah this tends to happen when the phone is draining more battery then the charger is charging the phone.
4th September 2013, 05:55 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro

Donate to Me
More
Even with de 2A charger? This is a lot of power!
Not sure if that's what happens or the MHL adapter that doesn't pass the full 2A for the S4.

Someone who has the original Samsung MHL adapter can tell if the same thing happens?
4th September 2013, 08:31 PM |#4  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 37

More
I don't have this problem with the official oem samsung adapter.... Even in the manual it says to use a 2a charger from samsung to get power...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
4th September 2013, 09:25 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by big samm

I don't have this problem with the official oem samsung adapter.... Even in the manual it says to use a 2a charger from samsung to get power...

Great to know that!
Can you confirm that by using the official Samsung adapter + 2A charger the phone battery doesn't drop?

Other questions:
1. What's your S4? I9500 or I9505?
2. What's your firmware? Stock? Google Edition? Other?
3. What's your kernel? Stock?
4th September 2013, 11:16 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by veloso

I bought a MHL Adapter (microUSB - HDMI) from DealExterme [1].

It works well, even without power, but when I put the original charger (2A), the S4 starts charging but can't even hold the charge. The charge will slowly dropping over time.

Is this normal?

[1] MHL to HDMI Adapter Cable for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 / S4 i9500 / Note II N7100 - Red + Black ($9.40)
dx.com/p/217340

Firstly, I don't have an S4, but I do have a Note 2 which also comes with a 2A charger. In my experience when using an MHL adapter the phone will only charge very slowly at best. If you are making it work hard, the battery will slowly drain. If I understand correctly, this is because of a limitation regarding how much power a normal USB port can supply.

When your phone is connected to a wall charger, go into settings and 'more' and tap 'battery'. At the top it should tell you it's charging, and that the type is A/C. Now plug in your MHL adapter, and plug the charger into the MHL adapter and go back into the same settings page - on my Note 2 (and also my HTC Sensation), this page now shows 'USB' instead of A/C. If the same is true with the S4 (and I'm pretty sure it will be), this is the source of the problem. It wouldn't matter if the charger was 1A, 2A or even more, the phone will only draw so much from what it thinks is a USB port. It's a pain, but there you go.

When you connect your phone to a TV via MHL, try lowering the screen brightness on the phone to minimum manually. If you have a quick search, there's also an app on here that should allow you to power of the S4's screen completely and still allow you to output a picture to the TV. Sorry, I don't have the link to hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ouzo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ouzo Ad-Free
5th September 2013, 12:44 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Its the cable. The MHL cable is just a poor cable, if it says USB like Ouzo says then you would need to short the data pins on it or use a charge only cable (the charge only cable may not even work though).
5th September 2013, 01:47 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarr

Its the cable. The MHL cable is just a poor cable, if it says USB like Ouzo says then you would need to short the data pins on it or use a charge only cable (the charge only cable may not even work though).

I get the part that my MHL adapter might be delivering energy in "USB mode" instead of "AC mode".

My big question is: by the report of "big samm", it seems that the original Samsung MHL adapter does not suffer from this problem. Ie: it delivers energy in "AC mode". Is this true? I can trust and spend $ 40 on it?

If anyone can confirm, I appreciate!
5th September 2013, 04:35 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I would just go for a real one from samsung so that way you won't have any problems with the battery charging because it's designed to charge + play
5th September 2013, 07:20 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarr

Its the cable. The MHL cable is just a poor cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennelly

I would just go for a real one from samsung so that way you won't have any problems with the battery charging because it's designed to charge + play

The problem is that I still don't have a confirmation whether in fact the original MHL Adapter solves this problem and the investment is very high (4x the price I paid for the alternate adapter).

I dont know if it's really "designed to charge + play."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouzo

there's also an app on here that should allow you to power of the S4's screen completely and still allow you to output a picture to the TV.

The app is Screen Standby. It freezes and closes when the wizard asks to verify root + busybox. Ignoring this part of the wizard it works but when it make phone screen black all my touches start to have a delay of 8s. Any movement on the screen takes 8 seconds to be played on TV. Totally buggy.
5th September 2013, 07:25 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member
Flag Rio de Janeiro

Donate to Me
More
Battery Full Quick Test
I did a quick test here (without "Standby Screen" app):

Device: S4 I9505
ROM: PAC-man 4.3
Battery before: 17%

TV: Samsung 40F6400 @ 1920x1080 / 30p

Adapter: "MHL to HDMI Adapter Cable" from DealExtreme
Charger: Original Samsung 2A (from S4)
USB cable: Original Samsung White
Charging mode: "USB"

Player: MX Player with H/W+ decoder
Video: Medabots S01E21 480p x264 (20 minutes)

Brightness: minimum
Wi-Fi: ON

Battery after: 13% (-4%)
Estimative: 12%/hour drain
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)