Headphone Jack Longer Than Headphone Plug

Search This thread

thebriando

Sep 10, 2013
Hi. I purchased a Star Note i9220 n9000 a few months ago and I wanted to plug in new headphones. The headphones that came with the phone fit the jack perfectly and I can hear out of it just fine but when I plug in different headphones, the plug is too short and the jack is too long. Does anyone know where I can purchase an adapter or headphones with a longer 3.5mm plug? I also posted a picture to compare. Notice how the one on the right is a little longer and has 3 ridges instead of two.

Attachments

• IMG_20130909_182224.jpg
    IMG_20130909_182224.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 7,710

iluvyoulinux

Sep 10, 2013
Hi. I purchased a Star Note i9220 n9000 a few months ago and I wanted to plug in new headphones. The headphones that came with the phone fit the jack perfectly and I can hear out of it just fine but when I plug in different headphones, the plug is too short and the jack is too long. Does anyone know where I can purchase an adapter or headphones with a longer 3.5mm plug? I also posted a picture to compare. Notice how the one on the right is a little longer and has 3 ridges instead of two.

This heaphone is not compatible with your phone.

Lindsay02

Aug 8, 2013
Shenzhen
Is the picture on the earphones?

thebriando

Sep 10, 2013
Is the picture on the earphones?

No that is not the picture of the earphones, but if it's made by the same company then they should use the same jack and headphones. I bought my phone off Amazon, just look up Star Note n9000. Normal 3.5mm headphones have plugs that are too short, the headphones that came with the phone are still 3.5mm but they are a bit longer. So I need help finding an adapter or headphones that have the special longer plug. Thanks to anyone who can help.

thebriando

Sep 10, 2013
Hey guys, I'm giving up on trying to find headphones that work with my phone. I'll just buy a wireless, bluetooth one now.

Update: I changed my mind, i'm not giving up on trying to find compatible headphones for my phone.

Last edited:

thebriando

Sep 10, 2013
normally 3.5 is 3.5, but from the way it looks these are more like 3.6 or 3.7 so it looks like they have their own headphone type or something
I'm pretty sure that the 3.5mm is the diameter instead of the length. So both of the headphone plugs in the picture are 3.5mm. It's just that the one on the right's length is a little longer than the other one. I really need help trying to find an adapter for this or finding some other headphones with the longer plug. I also figured out what the three rings/ridges on the other plug meant. The third ring is for the microphone. So I tried to find earbuds with a microphone, although i am not sure if all earbuds with microphones have a plug that's longer than standard earbuds.

mjz2cool

Jun 20, 2010
hardenberg
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure that the 3.5mm is the diameter instead of the length. So both of the headphone plugs in the picture are 3.5mm. It's just that the one on the right's length is a little longer than the other one. I really need help trying to find an adapter for this or finding some other headphones with the longer plug. I also figured out what the three rings/ridges on the other plug meant. The third ring is for the microphone. So I tried to find earbuds with a microphone, although i am not sure if all earbuds with microphones have a plug that's longer than standard earbuds.

yeah, i realised that :p
normally, the ones with a mic aren't any longer

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Do you think you could show me a side by side comparison of a headphone plug without a mic and a one with a mic? Thanks!

Not really needed.
The short one: 3.5mm 2 (or 3) conductor stereo jack (TRS - Tip ring sleeve)
The long one: 3.5mm 4 conductor stereo + mic jack (TRRS - Tip ring ring sleeve)

So, all in all, just look on the net for TRRS to TRS adapter. Should run you 10$ at most. They're a bit rare but hey you'll be able to use any headphones with any stereo jack.

mjz2cool

Jun 20, 2010
hardenberg
www.facebook.com
Not really needed.
The short one: 3.5mm 2 (or 3) conductor stereo jack (TRS - Tip ring sleeve)
The long one: 3.5mm 4 conductor stereo + mic jack (TRRS - Tip ring ring sleeve)

So, all in all, just look on the net for TRRS to TRS adapter. Should run you 10$ at most. They're a bit rare but hey you'll be able to use any headphones with any stereo jack.

both of these types should be the same size, and most phones are compatible with both types, so an adapter shouldn't be neccesary.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
Last edited:

mjz2cool

Jun 20, 2010
hardenberg
www.facebook.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    never had any problems with any trrs on any device, most phones should be compatible with trs and trrs

If the jack has an end (some do) you can't insert it properly. With a jack with no end, you can usually just unplug the connector a bit and sound will come out of both channels. It's not that much of a common problem though, but when you're in the sfx business you'll run into it too often. :p