[Xperia Z1][INFO][REF] All the info you need before you begin

Search This thread

Clownzer

Dec 27, 2008
How are you trying to edit it? Are you doing it on your phone, or pulling it from the phone and editing on your computer?

If you have windws on your computer use notepad++ if you are on windows and gedit if you are on Linux. If you are on mac then there is no helping you.. ;)

LOL, I am trying to use buildprop editor on my phone. I have been successful in the past.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 4

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
LOL, I am trying to use buildprop editor on my phone. I have been successful in the past.

ok, try pulling it to your computer.

Or make a backup of the build.prop (Copy it and call it build.prop.bak then change the original one, ensuring you are pressing save changes)
It should work by changing it on the phone but I have not done that. maybe the dpi setting is not supported, but I cant see why that would not let you save it in the build.prop

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
You can edit the build.prop with a locked bootloader

Thanks for the info. Asked on another thread if the bootloader checked the build.prop but wasn't answered.

Got it! Used my computer and even after a few reboots of the phone the DPI is sticking. Thanka for the help. Now this screen is really shining and looking sharp.

Just did it on my phone. It worked no problem just like it did on my last device.

Used this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.liberty.toolbox

I actually used the pro version but I think the free version lets you edit the build.prop also

Sent from my C6902 using Tapatalk 4

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks for the info. Asked on another thread if the bootloader checked the build.prop but wasn't answered.

Just did it on my phone. It worked no problem just like it did on my last device.

Used this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.liberty.toolbox

I actually used the pro version but I think the free version lets you edit the build.prop also

You can long press on the build.prop and choose open with text editor and that should work without any third party app

Clownzer

Dec 27, 2008
Thank you everyone for your help.

Basically I like a smaller dpi 360 - 400 (Stock is 480) so that I can get more items on my screen and also the text and images look sharper. So all I did was change the DPI from 480 to 400 (this varies from phone to phone) and now I can see more in the same real estate.

The only issue with the Xperia Z1 and doing this is that the Stock Launcher does not scale at all. Thankfully I like Action Launcher and am currently using that. I have heard there is a Sony Clone Launcher that will scale out there so that might be another alternative.

Here is a screen shot that shows the icons and size difference:

400 on Left vs 480 on Right (Icons are actually at 130% in size and that's why the wording is cut off in the 480)

Last edited:

reignzy

Mar 27, 2012
Auckland
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
Sill boy puts his 12hour old XZ1 into bootloop... :(

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain, had this phone for less than24hrs, vroot done effortlessly in 10 minutes and replaced with english superSU.

Playing with build.pro and chaged a few settings, no issues.

Replaced edited buld.prop with original backed up version and now stuck in a bootloop (crying something fierce...)

Would like to know where to please get stock FTF (dont care what region) just so i can get it running again

help would be greatly appreciated and will help with development if you need me

EDIT:

Sorry guys i found a FTF file to flash, just need to know if drivers are availble for download for flashtool please?

Last edited:

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hey guys, sorry to be a pain, had this phone for less than24hrs, vroot done effortlessly in 10 minutes and replaced with english superSU.

Playing with build.pro and chaged a few settings, no issues.

Replaced edited buld.prop with original backed up version and now stuck in a bootloop (crying something fierce...)

Would like to know where to please get stock FTF (dont care what region) just so i can get it running again

help would be greatly appreciated and will help with development if you need me

EDIT:

Sorry guys i found a FTF file to flash, just need to know if drivers are availble for download for flashtool please?

Yes, they are posted in one of the guides. Can't remember which but you should be able to find them. EDIT: Here they are: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=45497051&postcount=3. If you click the bootloader guide in this thread's OP, it has the drivers in the 3rd post.

Last edited:
Reactions: reignzy

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
You can still flak even if flash tool does not recognise your device. But I will upload the files you need when I get to work

Sent from my C6903 using xda premium

EDIT

Files attached. Unzip and place in devices folder in flashtool installation directory

Attachments

• C69XX.rar
    84.1 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Reactions: Ruffdraft

shem2409

Feb 5, 2013
Hull
www.youtube.com
Here are two videos I recorded today. The first one is pretty straight forward following the Vroot method. The second one gives answers to the most commonly bootloader/rooting/flashtool answers that I have been asked a million times in the past.

Ph3rOn!xX

Mar 29, 2012
Mumbai
Galaxy S ; Galaxy S2 ; Note1 ; Galaxy S3 ; Note2 ; Galaxy S4…… n now its Xperia Z1...
I was.bored of Sammys **** looks... N poor build quality... Its UI... Wanted something new..so switched to Z1..

But nw m getting a bad xperience wit it... Poor wifi signal.. S4 had 2600maH but had a good battery life... Z1 has 3000maH but of no use... I dnt even play games just whatsapp;fb...
This phone gets hot while using some apps.. If it was by playing games can understand but while jst using.some chatting apps... Really fedup...
Now suggest me a custom rom which can solve most of this issues....
:)

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

301stSpartan

Apr 15, 2012
Chicago, IL
Galaxy S ; Galaxy S2 ; Note1 ; Galaxy S3 ; Note2 ; Galaxy S4…… n now its Xperia Z1...
I was.bored of Sammys **** looks... N poor build quality... Its UI... Wanted something new..so switched to Z1..

But nw m getting a bad xperience wit it... Poor wifi signal.. S4 had 2600maH but had a good battery life... Z1 has 3000maH but of no use... I dnt even play games just whatsapp;fb...
This phone gets hot while using some apps.. If it was by playing games can understand but while jst using.some chatting apps... Really fedup...
Now suggest me a custom rom which can solve most of this issues....
:)

Sent from my C6902 using xda app-developers app

Are you on the most recent firmware (534)? It has better battery life and heats up less than the older firmwares. And there isn't much for custom ROMs yet though you can see a few if you go to the android development or original android development pages. And will see that if you unlock your bootloader the camera will stop working so if you want a fully functional camera you can't use AOSP ROMs until Sony fixes the issue unfortunately

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @MODS
    request you to sticky this thread

hello friends,

let me begin by introducing myself, i am developer for Xperia devices (X10, ARC, PLAY, S, T, Z) and am the Lead Developer of Team UtterChaos, member of Team ICX and was associated with Team FreeXperia, ... i have some experience in development for Xperia devices, specifically in kernels, rooting & recoveries and i have various how-to, reference threads which are very helpful to new & advanced users alike across various device communities... i hope even this thread will be useful to everyone... if you would like to know what things i have worked on before feel free to check some of the links in my signature below...

so some of u must be new to the Sony Xperia family & even if u are not this should be useful... this thread should get u up to speed on what you need to know for this device...

i will try to cover some very basic things and try to touch upon some advanced topics...

i will be dividing this thread into various sections, and each section will point to an individual post...

following is the list of sections covered:

for those who are interested in development are free to contact me via p.m.... BUT PLEASE do not ask generic questions, post all generic queries at the forums/threads...

regards,

DooMLoRD
    Basics

[ various bootmodes ]

newest Sony devices have three boot modes... these bootmodes can be reached when device is powered off...

• Normal - just press power button and device starts booting
    • Flashmode - this mode is used to flash stock OFFICIAL firmware using flashtool, denoted by GREEN LED (this is similar to DOWNLOAD/ODIN mode of the Samsung devices)
    • Fastboot mode - this is a special mode, denoted by BLUE LED, used when we want to flash custom kernel, custom system images, for that we need to unlock bootloader, i will tell more details about this later...

[ various key combinations ]

this is most important part...

known key combinations so far:

while device is power OFF

Volume Up + USB cable connected to PC -> FASTBOOT MODE (BLUE LED will light up)

Volume Down + USB cable connected to PC -> FLASHMODE (GREEN LED will light up)

while device is power ON

Volume Up + POWER (for 10 seconds) -> resets the battery, its like removing the battery and putting it back in [device will vibrate once]

Volume Up + POWER (for additional 5 seconds, total 15 seconds) -> will power off hard, device will power down [device will vibrate thrice]

hard power off

Xperia-Z1-User-Manual_2-640x555.png

[ understanding About Phone ]

attachment.php

(check out attachment if the above pic is not visible)

What it all means for u:

Kernel version:
    Sony has released this device with 3.4.0 kernel. When custom kernels are released (they will surely be soon) this string will change.

Model number:
    The Xperia Z1 has model number as C69xx and has few models. They differ in the spectrum of frequencies supported for 3G/WCDMA http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z1-5596.php
    C6902/L39h - HSDPA
    C6903 - LTE
    C6906
    C6943

Android version: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
    Sony officially launched this phone with android version 4.2.2 (aka Jelly Bean).

Baseband version: [linked to firmware version]

(Crudely) this is a software interface which communicates with radio -> gsm/wcdma (2g/3g)/LTE, basically acts as a base for the main OS to ‘talk-to’ the hardware on the phone [I know this explanation isn’t precise even partly incorrect.. if someone can help me out I will update it]
    This is similar to the "radio" image of the HTC devices.

Build number: [aka firmware version]

This is dependent on which firmware u flash on ur phone and is linked to the baseband version.
    Btw some devs use this field to add their own ‘signature’ to the ROM so if u are using custom ROMs this field might be varying. Though the Baseband version for a particular firmware remains same.

what is firmware?

The firmware is a package containing all the official software for a particular build. It will contain system, kernel & baseband files. Generally the firmware is supplied (on forums) in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool.

what are the ways to update/repair firmware?

SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) / PCC (PC Companion) / EMMA are all official ways to update to new or repair existing firmware on your device. SEUS/PCC are available to all users (consumers), EMMA is special and is only available to select individuals. This requires you to connect device to PC and then the software will check for updates and download them over the internet.

Updates can also be sent as FOTA (Firmware over-the-air)/OTA (over-the-air) updates where in you can download and install the updates without the need to connect to PC/any software.

FlashTool is an unofficial user-created tool, but the best way to flash official firmwares. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF file, it keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to.
    FlashTool

Flashtool is one of the MOST IMPORTANT piece of software for ur phone, it is an unofficial, but the best way to flash official firmwares on both locked and unlocked bootloader devices. Generally the firmware is supplied in form of FTF package (a container file ending with .ftf) which can be flashed via FlashTool. Thus FlashTool is the easiest way to do offline updates, just download the FTF and keep on PC and flash ur device when ever you want to. One can also flash select partitions using FlashTool, say you want to flash baseband(radio) from newer/older firmware but want to keep the main system the same u can do that using newest FlashTool! FlashTool also supports fastboot modes! so if you are not very comfortable with command line then u can use the FastBoot Toolbox inbuilt into FlashTool to fastboot the kernels!

FlashTool can be used to flash both locked and unlocked bootloaders devices.

For all flashtool informations (download links, release notes, FAQ) go to the Flashtool Homepage

As a co-developer of Flashtool I have already added support for the Z1!

we will soon be releasing a official version specifically for Xperia Z1!

Flashtool is on github : FlashTool GitHub repo

[FLASHTOOL GUIDE] HOW TO for n00bies (excellent guide for new users, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! The info for Rooting, Recovery & Bootloader UNlock in that thread is for older Xperia devices...)

i will try n get more links for FlashTool and post it here

Sony also provides an official FlashTool but it can be used only with unlocked bootloader devices
    Bootloader Unlocking & Relocking

[Tutorial] Xperia Z Bootloader Unlocking/Relocking

Latest FlashTool 0.9.10.2beta4 onwards can correctly unlock (official way) and relock device... i recommend using the latest FlashTool version to unlock & relock device...

all question regarding bootloader unlocking, relocking should be posted in relevant thread