FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[RESEARCH] Samsung Knox: Warranty Void Behavior

918 posts
Thanks Meter: 751
 
Post Reply Email Thread
11th October 2013, 10:25 AM |#501  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 186
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjeMBeY

Another quick update...
I'm getting more and more reports from people who are using my Pre-Rooted ROM's and they kept KNOX WARRANTY VOID 0x0 after flashing, even if they were using KNOX bootloaders prior to installation... I can see a light in the tunnel....

Read this:

TrustZone-based Integrity Measurement Architecture
Quote:

TIMA runs in the secure-world and provides continuous integrity monitoring of the Linux kernel. When TIMA detects that the integrity of the kernel or the boot loader is violated, it takes a policy-driven action in response. One of these policy actions disables the kernel and powers down the device.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...ung-knox#con01

A theory:
The KNOX flag (eFuse?) is set as part of a ARM TrustZone policy, based on the integrity of the bootloader and the kernel.
As long as the kernel is stock, the KNOX flag remains 0x0. I.e. stock kernel and pre-rooted system => no voided warranty flag.
The Following User Says Thank You to nilezon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nilezon Ad-Free
 
 
11th October 2013, 10:32 AM |#502  
Senior Member
Flag Bucharest greatest city ever
Thanks Meter: 537
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFargo

Knox is a smart idea to advertize a rock secure system all over the world, and to economize the support channel, both in the same time!
Devs and modders are much less than simple customer ...
We've gotta live with it ...

It's an stupid idea, is the downfall of Samsung, just like Htc did few years ago when they thought they were *Apple * of that moment. And it near bankruptcy them.
Now Htc had an website where you could unlock the bootloader, it not enough for some users to start buying them again, but it's an small step in the right direction.
Sure is not for all, not for me, my future phone need to be bootloader lock free, super easy to root, battery removable, microSD on-board.
HTC needed at lest 10 years to gain their market back, but with Sammy move Htc and others need to think Big to overthrow sammy.
Now Sony, LG, Htc, Huawei, if want to gain Sammy costumers they need to release phones without bootloader, easy to root, without triangle away like sammy, with micro-sd. Is that simple. Samsung is history.
Samsung now is like Windows Vista, Windows 8, an immense failure.

Look at Apple, few years ago they were at 99% of smartphones market, now they are at 10%.
And it's time for others to win an big chunk, look at LG android software, it's the best in industry.
Users don't give an piece of hair on Samsung, they bought their phones because they was much powerful then competition, at least with galaxy series, now Exynos is history, Qualcomm is back. Now we don't care what brand is an phone, they all the same regarding performance.
First one who market bootloader free, microsd, removable battery will win big time.

I don't root my phones because I'm an hacker, or an thief, like Samsung think, i root it because :

i need to know cpu, gpu temperatures, need root, worth android tuner.

I need to see what frames per second games have , to see if an phones is good or not, it need root, FPS Meter. Now with this crazy HD resolution even S4 had 20-30fps in latest games. Thats why 1280 resolution is the maximum for phones, at least for people that knows about this.

I need titanium backup. Need root.

I need custom kernel, for better performance, changing iq, governors, sd cache, oom settings, etc.

I need call recording, need root.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bogdan1980 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bogdan1980 Ad-Free
11th October 2013, 10:54 AM |#503  
dandroid13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 1,928
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan1980

It's an stupid idea, is the downfall of Samsung, just like Htc did few years ago when they thought they were *Apple * of that moment. And it near bankruptcy them.
Now Htc had an website where you could unlock the bootloader, it not enough for some users to start buying them again, but it's an small step in the right direction.
Sure is not for all, not for me, my future phone need to be bootloader lock free, super easy to root, battery removable, microSD on-board.
HTC needed at lest 10 years to gain their market back, but with Sammy move Htc and others need to think Big to overthrow sammy.
Now Sony, LG, Htc, Huawei, if want to gain Sammy costumers they need to release phones without bootloader, easy to root, without triangle away like sammy, with micro-sd. Is that simple. Samsung is history.
Samsung now is like Windows Vista, Windows 8, an immense failure.

Look at Apple, few years ago they were at 99% of smartphones market, now they are at 10%.
And it's time for others to win an big chunk, look at LG android software, it's the best in industry.
Users don't give an piece of hair on Samsung, they bought their phones because they was much powerful then competition, at least with galaxy series, now Exynos is history, Qualcomm is back. Now we don't care what brand is an phone, they all the same regarding performance.
First one who market bootloader free, microsd, removable battery will win big time.

I don't root my phones because I'm an hacker, or an thief, like Samsung think, i root it because :

i need to know cpu, gpu temperatures, need root, worth android tuner.

I need to see what frames per second games have , to see if an phones is good or not, it need root, FPS Meter. Now with this crazy HD resolution even S4 had 20-30fps in latest games. Thats why 1280 resolution is the maximum for phones, at least for people that knows about this.

I need titanium backup. Need root.

I need custom kernel, for better performance, changing iq, governors, sd cache, oom settings, etc.

I need call recording, need root.

Nah, bro, HTCrap never was big as Samsung is. And like you said, Sammy does devices with features people need, it will be bad for 0,01% of its users, like you.

Enviado do meu Xposed Galaxy S4 4G now Free
11th October 2013, 10:54 AM |#504  
chubby65's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag blackpool
Thanks Meter: 820
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandroid13

Your phone isn't locked, it will just state that you messed with the system... But getting a HTCrap is a huge step backwards anyway.

Enviado do meu Xposed Galaxy S4 4G now Free

No worries mate i ain't gonna get a HTC I'm just giving an example of how Samsung will end up if they carry on pulling the same stunts as HTC did

My neighbor had the HTC one and i wasn't impressed with it at all

I just want a phone i can customise to my liking not how Samsung wants it to be by forcing knox on us

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
11th October 2013, 10:59 AM |#505  
dandroid13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 1,928
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby65

No worries mate i ain't gonna get a HTC I'm just giving an example of how Samsung will end up if they carry on pulling the same stunts as HTC did

My neighbor had the HTC one and i wasn't impressed with it at all

I just want a phone i can customise to my liking not how Samsung wants it to be by forcing knox on us

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

But that's the thing, you still can! In the other hand, if something goes wrong you'll have to deal with it, that's all... I don't see why you guys are making such a drama, my old S2 was brick bugged using a custom kernel and they fixed it under warranty.

Enviado do meu Xposed Galaxy S4 4G now Free
11th October 2013, 11:08 AM |#506  
spinky360's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Baia Mare
Thanks Meter: 207
 
Donate to Me
More
Lol ... I would like that one op will change the name of this topic on off topic or htc vs Samsung or even general .... But not research ) because is done the research on Knox ...

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to spinky360 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spinky360 Ad-Free
11th October 2013, 11:18 AM |#507  
chubby65's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag blackpool
Thanks Meter: 820
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandroid13

But that's the thing, you still can! In the other hand, if something goes wrong you'll have to deal with it, that's all... I don't see why you guys are making such a drama, my old S2 was brick bugged using a custom kernel and they fixed it under warranty.

Enviado do meu Xposed Galaxy S4 4G now Free

Yeah but can you downgrade if you don't like newer firmware?

Will Samsung repair knox warranty void phones?

Will Samsung change their minds and give us what we want?

Samsung have gotten to big for their own good their arrogance proves that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
11th October 2013, 11:30 AM |#508  
testadeferro's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 303
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan1980

It's an stupid idea, is the downfall of Samsung, just like Htc did few years ago when they thought they were *Apple * of that moment. And it near bankruptcy them.
Now Htc had an website where you could unlock the bootloader, it not enough for some users to start buying them again, but it's an small step in the right direction.
Sure is not for all, not for me, my future phone need to be bootloader lock free, super easy to root, battery removable, microSD on-board.
HTC needed at lest 10 years to gain their market back, but with Sammy move Htc and others need to think Big to overthrow sammy.
Now Sony, LG, Htc, Huawei, if want to gain Sammy costumers they need to release phones without bootloader, easy to root, without triangle away like sammy, with micro-sd. Is that simple. Samsung is history.
Samsung now is like Windows Vista, Windows 8, an immense failure.

Look at Apple, few years ago they were at 99% of smartphones market, now they are at 10%.
And it's time for others to win an big chunk, look at LG android software, it's the best in industry.
Users don't give an piece of hair on Samsung, they bought their phones because they was much powerful then competition, at least with galaxy series, now Exynos is history, Qualcomm is back. Now we don't care what brand is an phone, they all the same regarding performance.
First one who market bootloader free, microsd, removable battery will win big time.

I don't root my phones because I'm an hacker, or an thief, like Samsung think, i root it because :

i need to know cpu, gpu temperatures, need root, worth android tuner.

I need to see what frames per second games have , to see if an phones is good or not, it need root, FPS Meter. Now with this crazy HD resolution even S4 had 20-30fps in latest games. Thats why 1280 resolution is the maximum for phones, at least for people that knows about this.

I need titanium backup. Need root.

I need custom kernel, for better performance, changing iq, governors, sd cache, oom settings, etc.

I need call recording, need root.

What is stupid for me is you install once a custom kernel and they back to full stock and warranty is void. In older s3 and s4 you old get rid of the triangle crap after a full restock. This is unfair.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app
11th October 2013, 11:53 AM |#509  
dandroid13's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Porto Alegre
Thanks Meter: 1,928
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby65

Yeah but can you downgrade if you don't like newer firmware?

Will Samsung repair knox warranty void phones?

Will Samsung change their minds and give us what we want?

Samsung have gotten to big for their own good their arrogance proves that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

The normal user won't even care about downgrading... I don't know if they will do it, but if you pay for it it makes no sense to not do it.

Enviado do meu Xposed Galaxy S4 4G now Free
11th October 2013, 12:38 PM |#510  
chubby65's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag blackpool
Thanks Meter: 820
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandroid13

The normal user won't even care about downgrading... I don't know if they will do it, but if you pay for it it makes no sense to not do it.

Enviado do meu Xposed Galaxy S4 4G now Free

Yeah but knox is affecting non rooted users too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
11th October 2013, 01:06 PM |#511  
Mack_75's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 208
 
Donate to Me
More
And? What's the problem? If i understood right what i've read in this case there is no problem on flash custom roms while new bootloader is installed. Just the flag were set to 0x1 and you have no longer the given warrenty by Samsung and can't use Knox features. But warrenty you everytime lost when flashing a custom ROM. Formerly you could set back the counter before sending back your device, and makes Samsung believe, that you never did that, but was that legal? I'm no lawyer and can't answer this question.
A central question for me would be following situation: I don't want to use Knox and install a custom ROM, i like and a custom kernel and a custom CWM. My flag will be set to 0x1 and i can't reset and it is impossible to use Knox. But if I later want to use my device in my company, where Knox is neccessary, I understand, there is no option although i could install a clean Stock ROM. This can't be true!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
0x1, carrot cake, hehe bottom!, knox, void, warranty

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes