THIS IS A DETAILED GUIDE TO SHOW YOU HOW TO ROOT, BOOTLOADER-UNLOCK AND INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY AND ROMS ON YOUR LG OPTIMUS G E970/1/3 with a Windows PC. I will add to/edit it as necessary, and will probably beautify it a bit soon enough as well.
Disclaimer: This has worked successfully for many people on these devices, including myself on the E971. Having said that, I’m not responsible for any explosions or any other form of destruction you may end up with as a result of using this guide!
The Dropbox files I’ve linked here are from my own account, so rest assured everything is safe. I will be posting mirrors soon (or replacing if necessary).
A full list of “thanks” will be at the end.
PLEASE follow all the instructions carefully. I will try to help as much as I can, but I am in no way a developer. Just a guy who loves messing with stuff, especially these awesome devices. The #lg-optimus-g IRC chanel is always great help along with great folks here.
COMPUTER PREP – Install the following before proceeding any further. If you know for sure you’ve got these taken care of, go ahead to the next section.
1) ADB/FASTBOOT/APX DRIVER - DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7duwo5l09...river_0.72.zip
- This driver, in part, is needed for your phone to properly communicate with the PC for our needs. That goes for any Android device, so this is definitely a must have. For more details and discussion/help > http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=19960512) LG DEVICE DRIVER - DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dho1z4hdky...bileDriver.zip
- Just like most USB devices, your phone relies on this to communicate with your PC.3) Make sure you have 7Zip, WinRAR, WinZIP or another similar application installed on your computer to be able to extract archives.
- Download 7zip here: http://www.7-zip.org/download.htmlPHONE PREP - you will need the USB cable, and your phone needs to have internet connection for the bootloader unlock section. I recommend having JellyBean installed already, the OTA upgrade method is fine with stock before you use this guide. I haven't tried or had any info on anyone else trying this with stock Ice Cream Sandwich, so I'm not sure about the compatibility there.
MEAT AND POTATOES
1) Download the root package here > https://www.dropbox.com/s/fib80m6q9j...ersal-Root.zip > and extract it to a folder.-UNLOCK BOOTLOADER AND INSTALL CUSTOM RECOVERY-
2) Connect your phone to your computer with the USB cable and CHANGE THE CONNECTION TYPE TO “CHARGE ONLY” IN NOTIFICATIONS. This is important for the next step.
3) Open the folder you extracted to and double click the batch file “CurrentRoot” or “CurrentRoot.bat”.
4) The on-screen instructions are pretty clear for this part. To sum it up:a. You’ll need to wait for the phone to be recognized, then you’ll be asked to change the USB mode to “MTP” - you must do this in order to proceed. Press Enter.
b. You may see some error and “daemon” messages along the way here. Don’t be alarmed by those, focus on the prompts.
c. Once you see “uid=0(root) gid=0(root)” you will be prompted to press Enter again. If you don’t get that, reboot your computer and repeat from step 2.
d. At the end, you should see a message that says you’ve been properly rooted. Press any key to continue, your phone should automatically be rebooted (if not, manually do so).
e. Open your app drawer and run the app called SuperSU and ensure it runs with no errors. *IF YOU DON'T HAVE SuperSU IN YOUR APP DRAWER, DOWNLOAD/INSTALL/RUN IT FROM THE PLAY STORE!*
f. You can download any root-required app from the Play Store (Root Checker is easy if you can’t think of one) to verify that you are properly rooted. Congratulations!
This section is done through an app, right in the Play Store thanks to Project FreeGee (XDA thread for thanks - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2001655). If you can, make sure to go there and give thanks to thecubed (and Shellnutt2) for this amazing app and all their efforts. Please get the $1 version if you can as well, it’s beyond worth it.
Head on over to the Play Store and download the app “FreeGee **ROOT Required**” or do it on your PC - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....freegee&hl=en ($1 – if you can this would be the one to go for) OR https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gee_free&hl=en (free version). Run the app and grant it root permissions. FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY!
1) In the app, ignore the main buttons and click Menu > SBL Unlock method.
2) Click “Get Unlock Code” – a browser window will open up. Here will be a hardcore disclaimer by Shelnutt2, and it should be taken seriously since there IS a possibility of something going wrong. The chances are EXTREMELY SLIM, but the disclaimers have to be put in place.
3) Enter your name (username for forums is the best way to go), click the checkbox, enter the CAPTCHA, and click “Submit”.
4) The next page will have your code. Copy it and go back to the FreeGee app.
5) Paste the code into the field and click “ok”. You should get a confirmation message that you’ve enabled the SBL Unlock method.
6) On the app’s main screen, click “Unlock my phone” and wait for the download to finish.
7) You’ll be asked to choose a recovery version. I personally use ClockworkMOD, but many people like TWRP. It shouldn’t make a difference at the end of the day, you can look into both and decide if you’d like. Choose one, and proceed through all the dialogue boxes, accepting everything. Your phone will eventually reboot.
8) To verify this was done properly, after the reboot you can reboot again into recovery mode. The easy way to do this is to download QuickBoot from the Play Store and use that. Otherwise:a. Power off your phone
b. Press and hold the PWR button, while holding down the VOL-UP/VOL-DOWN buttons at the same time (I’ve seen VOL-UP/PWR as instructions, I haven’t been able to get it to work myself like that but YMMV).
c. You’ll see a black screen with some small writing in the bottom-left corner. Nothing will actually respond on-screen at this point, don’t worry.
d. Press VOL-DOWN twice, then press PWR.
e. Your custom recovery should now boot up. Here, you can backup your current software (DO THAT RIGHT AWAY), reboot the phone into whichever mode you want, and install custom ROMs (more and that after the break).
JOB WELL DONE. NOW WHAT DO YOU DO?
The very first thing I recommend you do is BACKUP YOUR EFS PARTITIONS!! Head over to this thread by autoprime on XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&highlight=efs - this is important to have in case things go wrong down the road.
Now you have the freedom to do quite a bit, most notably install custom ROMs. It’s important to read through the entire original post of a ROM’s thread. The developer has put everything there for a reason, follow it to the tee! Methods of installation for ROMs may slightly vary. Use the files they link only and don’t stray from their installation instructions.
A loose reference to the most common method is:
a. Wipe data/factory resetUSEFUL INFO AND LINKS (more to come)
b. Wipe cache
c. Wipe dalvik cache
d. Install ROM file
e. Install GApps file
f. Wipe data/factory reset again (usually good measure regardless)
g. Reboot system
I cannot stress how crucial backups are. Back EVERYTHING up, and keep them in more than one place. Much, much better safe than sorry. Titanium Backup is your best friend, check it out.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cbxid5abrqwkqe5/fix_nfc.zip - NFC fix for CANADIAN phones (E971/3) - this is important as pretty much any ROM you flash that was made for the E970 onto an E971/3 (which is not an issue) will have NFC problems. Simply flash this through recovery AFTER the initial reboot of the ROM.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010624 - Guide to unbrick your phone! This worked well for me when I bricked back in the day!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2230994 - Another (awesome) method of restoring your phone if it gets messy (can only vouch for E970 based on the thread there) - has had much success.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2181103 - Thread for original root method, good for help.
- carrett (original guide that, in part, inspired this one)
- 1wayjonny (original thread for ADB/FB/APX driver)
- fiddy619 (original thread for root method)
- thecubed (project FreeGee - enough said)
- Shelnutt2 (project FreeGee - enough said)
- kentek (source for awesome LG driver)
- autoprime (author of the EFS backup guide and general LG OG God status)
- Paulicat (responsible for much of my (yet limited) wisdom regarding this device)
+ Anyone directly or indirectly responsible for anything in that list who I've left out.
+ Sorry to anyone else I've missed, please send me a quick message and I'll add you in, and I will add in as I go if I remember more.
+ The awesomeness of the #lg-optimus-g IRC channel and everyone in it - check it out on http://webchat.freenode.net!