FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Phone twists in pocket! Beware!

146 posts
Thanks Meter: 22

By Imdking, Senior Member on 23rd September 2013, 10:14 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Guys...

I've had my C6802 for a week now. I've been loving it, and I didn't understand why people are dissing it about pocket ability. It fits in my pants pocket just fine. I just make sure that the left front pocket is reserved for the phone alone, no keys, change, or any other scratcher. Breast pocket is just disaster waiting to happen - button down flap can't even come over the phone. So that's out.

Today I sat down at the restaurant to use the Wi-Fi on my laptop, and I hooked up the XZU to download a movie through Media Go. I noticed the phone rocking back and forth diagonally, not laying flat on the table top. I thought maybe the table is sloping on that side. So, I moved the phone to another spot; same thing. I picked up the phone and eyeballed it along its profile! Alas! It was bent!

I remembered...... Aluminum frame..... so I flexed it diagonally to fix it, and it straightened out!

So be warned folks! Even if it fits in your pocket, sitting down with the phone in the pocket will definitely bend it! This might even lead to the glass corners popping out!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Imdking For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Imdking Ad-Free

23rd September 2013, 11:41 PM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,679

More
Oh, that's.. bad I usually put my phone on the table no matter what, but i'll keep this in the back of my head. Thanks for sharing.
24th September 2013, 01:27 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordManhattan

Oh, that's.. bad I usually put my phone on the table no matter what, but i'll keep this in the back of my head. Thanks for sharing.

I do set the phone on the table too. I believe I twisted it sitting in the car from the house to the restaurant. It was a short drive; 2 blocks. So I didn't think much of it.
24th September 2013, 06:07 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
post a youtube video or pics to let us see, as this is sorta scary and might become usual as if this happens to more than yourself at least we can all tell sony support its a common fault
24th September 2013, 10:04 AM |#5  
Flag Hanoi, Vietnam
Thanks Meter: 34

More
yup, there was a thread somewhere, someone asking how much it costs to replace the screen/digitizer because the screen cracked when he sat on it while ZU in the back pocket.

Gotta be careful...

---------- Post added at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptioncsta

post a youtube video or pics to let us see, as this is sorta scary and might become usual as if this happens to more than yourself at least we can all tell sony support its a common fault

I wonder, from what point it stops being a faulty design... I mean, not all of us are made the same. If a 200kg (about 400lbs?) guy sat on it at the wrong angle, I would not blame Sony at all... A steel sheet 5mm thick will bend under those kinda weight...
24th September 2013, 12:19 PM |#6  
Flag Nîmes
Thanks Meter: 288

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelkobayashi

I wonder, from what point it stops being a faulty design... I mean, not all of us are made the same. If a 200kg (about 400lbs?) guy sat on it at the wrong angle, I would not blame Sony at all... A steel sheet 5mm thick will bend under those kinda weight...

Even if someone of 40 kg would sit on it while on the rear pocket I would not blame Sony. If I remember well you are living in Vietnam, I have the phone everyday on my front pocket and drive scooter but my phone is still perfectly flat.

I do not put it on any too tide jean, and as soon as i sit completely on a car or chair I do remove it before sit. If not it is on a bag. So scare to break it, after all this phone is so thin and have so large and thin glass on it. I had to change iPhone glass of people siting on there sofa, same thing can happen here.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk 4
24th September 2013, 02:26 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 539

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdking

I do set the phone on the table too. I believe I twisted it sitting in the car from the house to the restaurant. It was a short drive; 2 blocks. So I didn't think much of it.

BINGO. This was my only concern regarding the Ultra from day one. I even wrote about it hear. I don't think you are the first to do this and you wont be the last either. Point is how do you know the integrity of the water resistance has not now been comprised? You don't!

I love the Ultra BUT putting that beast in a pocket was simply asking for eventual trouble. As you wrote how could an aluminium frame that dimension prevent twisting?

Sorry you had to experience this.

Regards.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptioncsta

With great respect to you Sir this is not a Sony 'problem'. THE 'problem' with the Ultra is portability. Woman can use hand bags men will try and use trousers. The Ultra is simply to large for general trouser use. Add to this the materials used, glass, plastics and Aluminium and what can we expect? Even titanium at that thinness will eventually flex. This, to me, is a classic example of a device defeating its own purpose.

I love the Ultra I love my Z and 10.1 Z tablet. I have gone back to the plastic smaller world of the new Note 3 as I know I just could not live with the portability problems with the beautiful Ultra.

There are only two tragedies in life. One is NOT having what we want the other is having it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland Johnson For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ryland Johnson Ad-Free
24th September 2013, 03:18 PM |#8  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,679

More
This will solve itself as long as you live in a temperate climate with seasonal change. What i'm trying to say is: Winter is coming, and we will use jackets/coats which will make our lives much simpler. To the people of SE Asia, Africa, Australia, Southern Europe and Southern USA, i'm very sorry
24th September 2013, 10:22 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdking

Guys...

I've had my C6802 for a week now. I've been loving it, and I didn't understand why people are dissing it about pocket ability. It fits in my pants pocket just fine. I just make sure that the left front pocket is reserved for the phone alone, no keys, change, or any other scratcher. Breast pocket is just disaster waiting to happen - button down flap can't even come over the phone. So that's out.

Today I sat down at the restaurant to use the Wi-Fi on my laptop, and I hooked up the XZU to download a movie through Media Go. I noticed the phone rocking back and forth diagonally, not laying flat on the table top. I thought maybe the table is sloping on that side. So, I moved the phone to another spot; same thing. I picked up the phone and eyeballed it along its profile! Alas! It was bent!

I remembered...... Aluminum frame..... so I flexed it diagonally to fix it, and it straightened out!

So be warned folks! Even if it fits in your pocket, sitting down with the phone in the pocket will definitely bend it! This might even lead to the glass corners popping out!

I personally keep it in my jacket pocket or in the jeans pocket, and sometimes they are really tight, and 80% of the time the ZU pops out a few inches from them, but my phone is still perfect.

On the other hand I think that aluminum bending on this device would be so limited that you can't even find out: phone is resting (face or back) on glass.
In no part the aluminum touches the table.
And even if you do manage to bend your device, I think it would have been much more than keeping it in a pocket. It would be all misaligned from angle to angle, at the point that the glass would break for the force pressing every time you lay it flat or you use it.
I wouldn't mind seeing pics too before saying any more things.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk 2
25th September 2013, 12:13 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Guys, any phone will do this. I am sorry that the OP experienced damage, but if anything it's the fault of the larger dimensions of the phone, not its thinness. Think about it: what constitutes the vast majority of a phone's thickness? It's the internal volume, obviously. It's the internal volume that was reduced in order to make the phone thin, not the thickness of the frame or glass sheets. Those would be the same regardless of how thick or thin the phone as, as they're just "caps." The fact that the phone is longer and wider than usual will allow you to exert more torque on the frame because of leverage, but the frame itself is no weaker than any other phone, and probably stronger than many.
25th September 2013, 02:25 AM |#11  
Flag Pasay
Thanks Meter: 37

More
Just put a lanyard on it and hang it on your neck...

Worry about it being stolen while hanging infront of your chest? Then place it under your shirt!

Problem solved..

"Sent from my refrigerator"
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bend, flex, pocket

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)