2 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By mydrl, Junior Member on 26th September 2013, 06:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
13th March 2014, 08:38 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Still not fixed.
So I took the plunge and bought one. Maybe it'd be different than my friends. Looks like this is a me problem. The chromecast still doesn't work. I thought it might be the tv that it's plugged into? Maybe shielding the chromecast from the wifi? I don't know. Will trouble shoot with a different tv or a long hdmi cable that will get the chromecast out from behind the tv. Maybe that'll help.

13th March 2014, 10:43 PM |#12  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,018

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson2423

So I took the plunge and bought one. Maybe it'd be different than my friends. Looks like this is a me problem. The chromecast still doesn't work. I thought it might be the tv that it's plugged into? Maybe shielding the chromecast from the wifi? I don't know. Will trouble shoot with a different tv or a long hdmi cable that will get the chromecast out from behind the tv. Maybe that'll help.

TVs are great at blocking/scrambling radio signals.

Use the included HDMI extender. If that doesn't help (enough), get an HDMI extension and move Chromecast away from the TV. One of mine is on a 10-foot HDMI extension. The other is connected upstream of a another device that connects to my TV, so both of my Chromecasts are at least a foot away from its associated TV.
13th March 2014, 10:44 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Quote:

It could be a few things not related to the router directly but related in how the Router connects to your ISP.

So a couple of questions...
  1. What kind of service is your ISP? (DSL, CABLE, OTHER)
  2. What Public IP does your router report? (Usually found on the status page that shows connection data) If it starts off 192.168 then your Modem is doing a double nat translation and you need to call your ISP and tell them you want the Modem to be put into gateway mode and just pass a public IP to your router.
  3. Does the CCast actually connect to the Router but not work or will it not connect at all period? If it doesn't connect at all it is possible you need to change the Security method used to WPA or WEP. To test shut off security alltogether and try to connect the CCast. If there is currently NO security try putting WPA on and trying again (but it should work on an open AP)
26th March 2014, 11:30 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
fixed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

It could be a few things not related to the router directly but related in how the Router connects to your ISP.

So a couple of questions...

1. What kind of service is your ISP? (DSL, CABLE, OTHER)
  2. What Public IP does your router report? (Usually found on the status page that shows connection data) If it starts off 192.168 then your Modem is doing a double nat translation and you need to call your ISP and tell them you want the Modem to be put into gateway mode and just pass a public IP to your router.
  3. Does the CCast actually connect to the Router but not work or will it not connect at all period? If it doesn't connect at all it is possible you need to change the Security method used to WPA or WEP. To test shut off security alltogether and try to connect the CCast. If there is currently NO security try putting WPA on and trying again (but it should work on an open AP)

Service is Telus DSL.

Solution: I changed the security settings. It still tries to stop the CCast from talking to my phone once in a while, but I just log into my router and log into the firewall settings. The firewall settings are "high, medium, low, NAT". It started working once I started turning it off of NAT and onto Medium or High.

I don't know why this is the solution, but it is a solution. I suspect that either Telus will fix the prolbem for everyone else or this thread will become popular. Now CCast is coming to Canada. So either Telus fixes it or there'll be a lot of searching leading to this post.

As a reminder, a friend of mine on telus never toughed his firewall settings and never had a problem with using his CCast. Go figure.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnson2423 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift johnson2423 Ad-Free
27th March 2014, 03:43 AM |#15  

More
Quote:

Service is Telus DSL.

Solution: I changed the security settings. It still tries to stop the CCast from talking to my phone once in a while, but I just log into my router and log into the firewall settings. The firewall settings are "high, medium, low, NAT". It started working once I started turning it off of NAT and onto Medium or High.

I don't know why this is the solution, but it is a solution. I suspect that either Telus will fix the prolbem for everyone else or this thread will become popular. Now CCast is coming to Canada. So either Telus fixes it or there'll be a lot of searching leading to this post.

As a reminder, a friend of mine on telus never toughed his firewall settings and never had a problem with using his CCast. Go figure.

Well if the Telus was set to NAT perhaps Double Nat Translation was the issue.

DO you have another router connected to your modem or is this one of those all in one Hybrids supplied by the ISP?
12th July 2014, 09:51 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Well if the Telus was set to NAT perhaps Double Nat Translation was the issue.

DO you have another router connected to your modem or is this one of those all in one Hybrids supplied by the ISP?

I have a friend that is struggling with this as well. While setting up the WiFi connection between the chromecast and the router (the Actiontec V1000H - which is a modem/router combo if that helps). The chromecast will see the WiFi, but it seems to time out while trying to connect to the router.

I did find a comment on a blog somewhere (sorry, I forget where) that suggests unchecking the "IGMP snooping enabled" option in the router (Advanced Settings>IGMP Setting). Once this was done, the chromecast connected to the WiFi without any issues and we were able to stream it without any issues.

However after going out for dinner we had major issues trying to connect to the WiFi on our phones and his laptop (laptop would try to connect to the WiFi but continually fail). It seems like this is a temporary fix at best.

The only permanent solution I can think of at the moment is to go buy a new router that is listed as having no issues on the chromecast compatibility list... Which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having the chromecast as an economic way to stream content to your big screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keats87 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Keats87 Ad-Free
12th July 2014, 12:34 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Buy a better router
12th July 2014, 04:14 PM |#18  

More
I don't see why IGMP should have any affect on being able to login and connect.
I Can see it being a problem with streaming but not connection.
IS this an ISP provided Modem/Router? How many devices are connecting wirelessly?

Check settings for IGMP Proxy, Try changing that setting whatever it is but it should probably be disabled (Still don't think this would affect connection but it's worth checking)
Check if UPnP Is enabled (again not really connection related but it does need to be enabled for CCast)

I personally prefer to use a two device setup with separate Modem (in Bridge Mode) and Router....This way the Modem protects the router from the outside world and even if the Modem goes bad the Network still functions properly.

And I pretty much stay away from anything that isn't a Linksys or Netgear product as far as Routers are concerned.

There are a bunch of Actiontec models that are listed as incompatible with CCast on the google site so it's obvious that something about their firmware is not CCast friendly.

So the the previous poster may actually have made a good suggestion in the long run! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to Asphyx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asphyx Ad-Free
12th July 2014, 07:45 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
I'm using the telus actiontech router with chromcast with no issues....

its a pretty crappy router though and it seems telus disabled the ability for bridge mode in the latest firmware... has anyone found a solution to this so i can buy a better router?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
12th July 2014, 09:07 PM |#20  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,018

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolook

its a pretty crappy router though and it seems telus disabled the ability for bridge mode in the latest firmware... has anyone found a solution to this so i can buy a better router?

As long as double NAT doesn't cause you problems, you can
  1. Assign the new router's WAN port to an address in the ISP router's LAN range
  2. Set the new router's gateway to the ISP router's LAN address
  3. Connect the two routers LAN port to LAN port
  4. Have all your wired and wireless clients connect to the new router.
12th July 2014, 09:17 PM |#21  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolook

I think it may be called NAT on that unit....
Disabling it should make the unit pass the public IPs to whatever is connected to the device.
But your service may only allow one which is fine if your hooking up a router but may not work properly without one (Your Current Setup)

Best to call Customer support and ask them how to put the modem into bridge mode...
Once you have your Router you might also want to disable the WiFI in that Modem.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)