Thanks Meter: 0

By mydrl, Junior Member on 26th September 2013, 07:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
12th July 2014, 10:17 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 374

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolook

I'm using the telus actiontech router with chromcast with no issues....

its a pretty crappy router though and it seems telus disabled the ability for bridge mode in the latest firmware... has anyone found a solution to this so i can buy a better router?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think it may be called NAT on that unit....
Disabling it should make the unit pass the public IPs to whatever is connected to the device.
But your service may only allow one which is fine if your hooking up a router but may not work properly without one (Your Current Setup)

Best to call Customer support and ask them how to put the modem into bridge mode...
Once you have your Router you might also want to disable the WiFI in that Modem.

13th July 2014, 12:22 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
they won't put it in bridge mode as they don't support 3rd party routers.. i am looking for a non double NAT solution
13th July 2014, 04:29 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Quote:

they won't put it in bridge mode as they don't support 3rd party routers.. i am looking for a non double NAT solution

Just to clarify a few things:

1. The Firewall Security settings on the Actiontec router are NAT/Low/Medium/High. The least security is NAT, which means "NAT only, no ports blocked". Selecting one of the other 3 settings pops up a long list of internet protocols, some of which are checked as permitted, other unchecked to mean not permitted. The 3 options Low/Medium/High just offer 3 pre-set levels of increasing blocking in the list, but you can customize the list by checking/unchecking the individual protocols. Just use the default NAT unless you have some reason for blocking a specific protocol.

2. The reason why Telus doesn't want to allow customers to bridge the router section of the Actiontec and use it as a pure modem is because it is designed to support their Optik IPTV service as well as customer internet. The router provides dedicated bandwidth for the TV service, supports HPNA to connect to the TV box via coax, and uses IGMP to set up multicast to multiple TV boxes in the home. Technically the Optik IPTV service can work with other user-provided routers, but there may be TV issues that the user doesn't fully understand, and Telus doesn't want the support hassle of dealing with that.

3. I'm not sure why the Chromecast wouldn't work with the Actiontec (I suspect that Telus has enabled AP isolation with no option to turn it off), but there's nothing stopping you from attaching your own router to one of the LAN ports of the Actiontec and putting it in the DMZ of the Actiontec. Yes, there will be double-NAT, but the Chromecast isn't affected by that when you use it with your own router.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJames1 Ad-Free
13th July 2014, 07:42 PM |#24  

More
Quote:

i am looking for a non double NAT solution

Well according to DJ, (and I have zero reason to doubt him at all) You really have no option without bridge mode...And even if you change modems you might screw up other services.
13th July 2014, 09:41 PM |#25  

More
I'm not having any chromecast issues just really slow WiFi speeds in general... and i also don't have optik tv service just internet 50 service...

it looks like there used to be ways of flashing modded firmware or root accounts to put modem/router in bridge mode but those methods have been closed by telus...
14th July 2014, 08:11 PM |#26  

More
Quote:

I'm not having any chromecast issues just really slow WiFi speeds in general... and i also don't have optik tv service just internet 50 service...

it looks like there used to be ways of flashing modded firmware or root accounts to put modem/router in bridge mode but those methods have been closed by telus...

Well if you do not need any special services of the Modem then you have the right under the FCC rules to buy your own Modem/Router (same unit or separate) to use to connect to their Internet service.

Do you know how your current modem connects to their service?
Does it use PPPoE, Static IP, PPTP, L2TP or DHCP?

If it uses anything other than DHCP then all you need to have is your login information to set up the new modem.
If it uses DHCP then you will have to call your ISP and give them the Mac Address for your new device so they can add it to their approved DHCP clients.
That should give you full control over the unit and much more options in the settings.(Maybe even a few nice extra features.)

But make sure you get all the info you need for connection before you remove the old device. Going into Manual Setup might help but I don't really know your unit that well to say for sure.
15th July 2014, 02:25 AM |#27  

More
telus is Canadian so its the crtc not fcc... don't know if it's the same up here... although i have done this in the past with other providers using tomatoe firmware...

id assume im connecting via pppoe as that's what other dsl providers in Canada use...

does anyone have experience doing this with telus and if so what hardware did you buy? I need ac wifi and usb3 would be nice too..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
15th July 2014, 03:25 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 136

More
There might be a few tips in the "troubleshooter" link on the following page:

Troubleshoot an Issue
https://support.google.com/chromecas.../3477832?hl=en

E.g. "Chromecast only displays 2.4GHz networks as Wi-Fi options in the setup app. 5GHz networks are not compatible with Chromecast and will not be listed. If you have enabled AP Isolation/Client Isolation on your Wi-Fi router, or if this is the default setting, you will need to turn it off. Learn more about AP Isolation here. If the network you want to connect to is hidden (a network that is set not to broadcast its name), you'll need to manually input the network's name and password. Please call your network provider if you don't know the name or password of your Wi-Fi router".
15th July 2014, 04:43 AM |#29  
Flag Surrey
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Chromecast/Actiontec V1000h
I'm on Telus and using the Actiontec V1000h in bridge mode. My router is a Linksys EA6500. I've been using Chromecast for 8 months now and I didn't have any problem getting it to work with my current network setup. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4, Asus Memopad 10 and a Nexux 7 2012 tablets to cast from Youtube and Netflix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson2423

A friend lent me his chromecast. He uses an iphone and Shaw cable. I use a Nexus 4, and have Telus as my internet provider.

It was a bear trying to get chromecast to work. Tried 5 separate days. Got it to work and i could watch netflix/youtube on it about 3 times and played with it for a couple of hours each. That's the success.

The fail is that I had to trouble shoot more then 4+ hours to get it to work those 3 times. Reboot the chromecast. Reboot the router. Reboot my Nexus 4. Try my wife's Nexus 4. Try the Nexus 7 tablet. It was a horrible experience. I got the AP recommendation like the earlier post in this thread. I tried that. Tried calling telus and signed into my router to check that those settings were correct. As far as I understand it's a gateway 11n wireless router.

So my conclusion is change my internet provider to Shaw unless someone has a smart solution to this problem. The router says it's a 50ghz signal? So it isn't the 2.4vs 5.0 ghz signal problem that I've googled and read about.

Please provide some brains to my situation. I've used all of mine up.

15th July 2014, 05:31 PM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramos

I'm on Telus and using the Actiontec V1000h in bridge mode. My router is a Linksys EA6500. I've been using Chromecast for 8 months now and I didn't have any problem getting it to work with my current network setup. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4, Asus Memopad 10 and a Nexux 7 2012 tablets to cast from Youtube and Netflix.

Now for the $10,000 Question.....

How did you get it to go into Bridge mode?
15th July 2014, 06:32 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 114

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx

Now for the $10,000 Question.....

How did you get it to go into Bridge mode?

So far as I am aware no method has yet been published to put the Telus Actiontec V1000H with the latest .13 firmware version into bridge mode, or to get full admin access.

But that isn't really necessary for most people as long as you have your own router. Just do this:
1. Turn off WiFi on the Actiontec
2. Connect your router to a LAN port on the Actiontec
3. Note the MAC address of your router and give it a reserved DHCP address on the Actiontec
4. Put your router in the DMZ of the Actiontec (under Firewall - DMZ Hosting)
5. Confirm NAT as the default security level on the Actiontec (under Firewall)

I've yet to encounter any problems with this configuration compared to having my router connected directly to a cable modem. Everything on my own router continues to work as usual. My Chromecast is fine. My VoIP devices are fine. External access to my IP cameras and NAS works fine. My VPN works fine. I wouldn't go so far as to say that everything is guaranteed to work fine - just that everything I use works fine. My primary router is a Linksys WRT400N, but I also use my $15 D-Link router with DD-WRT firmware occasionally, so it's not like it costs a lot of money to use your own router.
The Following User Says Thank You to DJames1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DJames1 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)