FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DIY][4.1+] Tasker Based Expandable Weather Notification[Download Link Provided]

130 posts
Thanks Meter: 80

By AryanAkanskh, Senior Member on 28th September 2013, 09:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Tasker Based Expandable Weather Notification

Spruce up your notification shade with this custom made weather notification!

Hey guys, after searching through apps that utilize Jelly Bean's outstanding notification system to display weather like beautiful widgets,notification weather pro and the like, I missed one or the other feature from these apps, pushing me to develop my own weather notification system. Now i have control of what it does and how it does. I am more than happy with this and thought I could share it in the XDA community.

As the title suggests this is Do-It-Yourself Project, if you are here for one click install and use, then this might not suit you. I am providing my setup in the download links below but as with all other tasker setups it might require few tweaks here and there to work best for you.

So why this thread?
I thought it would be nice to explore what others think of this and share suggestions for further improvements. And XDA is a great place to start with so. Feel free to share your opinions guys after using this.

Noob Friendly? Probably No. I ll explain these in detail later

What do you need?
  • Phone running android 4.1+
  • Tasker
  • Autoremote or AutoNotification
  • Intermediate tasker knowledge(See referenced)

References :
Variable data processing
How to learn tasker
Notification Guide

Screenshots :

How does this work?
  • Gets your current location using 'Get Location' action in Tasker
  • Uses openweathermap API to retrieve weather data for current location in XML
  • Porcesses the XML data in Tasker by variable data processing and extracts the needed information
  • Send a persistent notification via AutoRemote notification plugin with a picture and weather data.

Note: I launch the task manually, using Power Toggles notification. You can set to automatically update using time or any context that you prefer. Explore.
eg. If you move out of you house, put a weather notification on the notification shade.

The pictures of weather???
  • There are not real time, they are static, I just downloaded individual pictures for various conditions and mapped it to notification based on weather. (Needs Improvement)

Possible additions I am looking into
  • Increase the no of pictures
  • Add weather forecast

Help from the community
  • Guys if you find any interesting pictures for weather please share.
  • Expecting feedback on improving current setup.
  • Share any contexts that you are using with this.

Downloads
Installation notes:
  • Extract the tasks (xml files) to your SD card
  • Open them with ES file Explorer and select Tasker.
For Pics:
  • Extract the files to *sdcard*\themes\weather\

NOTES:
  • The speak weather and cancel buttons wont work!!! to overcome that create new profile that triggers on autoremote message "Speak Weather" and action it does "Say : your message"
  • Cancel button also wont work. For that create profile that triggers on autoremote message "Weather cancel" and does "Autoremote Cancel Notification"
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to AryanAkanskh For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AryanAkanskh Ad-Free

29th September 2013, 04:16 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Salem

More
Reserved

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
13th December 2013, 09:26 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Thank you for this. I have tried to do something similar myself but have not gotten the result i wanted.

Now i need to translate the results to my native language (Swedish). Any idea on how to do that?
13th December 2013, 11:36 AM |#4  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 3

More
How can i add other city and show it weather info?, thanks.
21st December 2013, 03:27 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Salem

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMs12

How can i add other city and show it weather info?, thanks.

http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2...ondon&mode=xml
in get HTTP action of the task, edit the values to above url. specify your city name in place of london
21st December 2013, 03:30 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Salem

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by feppa

Thank you for this. I have tried to do something similar myself but have not gotten the result i wanted.

Now i need to translate the results to my native language (Swedish). Any idea on how to do that?

http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2...901&lang=zh_cn

add lang=%your language code% in the get http action of the task
23rd December 2013, 05:15 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
This is a great set up. When I do Query weather it says that fetch weather task does not exist. Do you know why that is happening?
12th February 2014, 01:21 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hey friend, I am not able to change the language. what exactly should I do?
Thank you already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairste

This is a great set up. When I do Query weather it says that fetch weather task does not exist. Do you know why that is happening?

Just restart Tasker.
12th February 2014, 03:27 AM |#9  
Flag Surabaya
Thanks Meter: 24

More
ehm,, actually what i look for is like contextual notification header
but with this feature (weather)
28th July 2014, 04:06 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you for this. i'm trying to translate the results to my language (Italian), in get HTTP action of the Fetch Weather task i already tried edit the values adding &lang=it or &lang=it_it or &lang=it_IT without success any ideas how to solve it?
16th August 2014, 06:51 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
HHHEEELLLPPPP please
I really need this tasker control on my mobile, i want the weather to work how you have set it up but really struggling to get it working, please help.

I have installed on my phone, but cannot get it to work, hope you dont mind helping.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)