FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Flashcast without externally powered OTG cable (No invasive cable cutting required!)

7 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By yangzai, Junior Member on 1st October 2013, 05:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Note: You will still need a NON-POWERED OTG cable though, but there's no need to cut it.

Having only a non-powered OTG cable and eager to hack my Chromecast, I went looking for other cables/adaptors lying around my house in an attempt to find an alternative. Here's what I came up with.

Things you will need:
NON-POWERED OTG Cable
Male-to-Male USB Cable
USB HUB

Steps:
1. Connect the micro USB end of the OTG cable to the Chromecast and the other end to the male end of the USB hub.

2. Insert your Flashcast thumbdrive into one of the ports of the USB hub and the Male-to-Male USB cable into another port.

3. Insert the other end of the Male-to-Male USB cable to your preferred USB power source. (I used a portable charger for convenience sake.)

There are many other possible solutions depending on the cables/adaptors you manage to find. The point I'm trying to make is, instead of sourcing for a rare cable days or weeks of shipping time away from you, an immediate alternative might just around the corner waiting for your discovery.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to yangzai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yangzai Ad-Free

1st October 2013, 05:33 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangzai

Note: You will still need a NON-POWERED OTG cable though, but there's no need to cut it.

Having only a non-powered OTG cable and eager to hack my Chromecast, I went looking for other cables/adaptors lying around my house in an attempt to find an alternative. Here's what I came up with.

Things you will need:
NON-POWERED OTG Cable
Male-to-Male USB Cable
USB HUB

Steps:
1. Connect the micro USB end of the OTG cable to the Chromecast and the other end to the male end of the USB hub.

2. Insert your Flashcast thumbdrive into one of the ports of the USB hub and the Male-to-Male USB cable into another port.

3. Insert the other end of the Male-to-Male USB cable to your preferred USB power source. (I used a portable charger for convenience sake.)

There are many other possible solutions depending on the cables/adaptors you manage to find. The point I'm trying to make is, instead of sourcing for a rare cable days or weeks of shipping time away from you, an immediate alternative might just around the corner waiting for your discovery.

Did something very similar myself too, has worked using 2 or 3 hubs. Worth noting a cheaper crappy hub is far more likely to work for this than a posh expensive one, as some have protections to prevent power going the wrong way through the hub, as I believe this is specified in some of the standards.
The Following User Says Thank You to hearnia_2K For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hearnia_2K Ad-Free
1st October 2013, 05:38 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Literally right Before reading this thread I successfully rooted my Chromecast with this method, but to note my usb hub is powered by an ac adapter, i assumed this was a requirement.

Sent from New Nexus 7
2nd October 2013, 01:27 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
This will only work if your hub will backfeed. I had to use a external hard drive power y cable.
2nd October 2013, 07:00 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearnia_2K

Did something very similar myself too, has worked using 2 or 3 hubs. Worth noting a cheaper crappy hub is far more likely to work for this than a posh expensive one, as some have protections to prevent power going the wrong way through the hub, as I believe this is specified in some of the standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfetaz

Literally right Before reading this thread I successfully rooted my Chromecast with this method, but to note my usb hub is powered by an ac adapter, i assumed this was a requirement.

Sent from New Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jercb123

This will only work if your hub will backfeed. I had to use a external hard drive power y cable.

Sadly, mine didn't come with an AC adaptor, had to improvise. Like what hearnia_2K said, most cheap hubs should work, and posh ones will likely come together with an AC adaptor anyway.
3rd October 2013, 01:39 AM |#6  
Flag NC
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Worked great with a rockband USB hub.
3rd October 2013, 01:55 AM |#7  
Flag Wilmington, DE
Thanks Meter: 192

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz_7

Worked great with a rockband USB hub.

Just bought a Belkin powered USB hub from local Walmart on clearance for $4. Thought it was a bust till I took jercb123's advice and used a Y USB cord from one of my external HDD's.Used the other end of the Y cable plugged into one my phone wall chargers and took with first try. Thanks for this.
4th October 2013, 11:17 PM |#8  
Unhappy Did I screw up?
I went out and purchased a non-powered otg cable and before reading any posts( I know I should have read thru this thread a couple of times, but I didn't) I started connecting things to each other. the light on the chrome cast was white then it went red. I unplugged everything then connected the chromecast to my TV via HDMI. the screen said it was updating and got as far as 10% before I unplugged it. I waited a few minutes then plugged into my tv again and the screen said updating, 0% then 10%. I unplugged it again.

A couple of facts to consider:

1. I did not yet down load the new image and burn it to a usb drive.
2. the chrome cast, before the latest connection to the HDMI of the TV, was still
not updated.

Did I some how allow the update to happen? what should I do? do I give up on rooting this for now? Thanks for your answers and help!!!( I hope I made some sense!)
4th October 2013, 11:47 PM |#9  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA
Thanks Meter: 240

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserbiz

I went out and purchased a non-powered otg cable and before reading any posts( I know I should have read thru this thread a couple of times, but I didn't) I started connecting things to each other. the light on the chrome cast was white then it went red. I unplugged everything then connected the chromecast to my TV via HDMI. the screen said it was updating and got as far as 10% before I unplugged it. I waited a few minutes then plugged into my tv again and the screen said updating, 0% then 10%. I unplugged it again.

A couple of facts to consider:

1. I did not yet down load the new image and burn it to a usb drive.
2. the chrome cast, before the latest connection to the HDMI of the TV, was still
not updated.

Did I some how allow the update to happen? what should I do? do I give up on rooting this for now? Thanks for your answers and help!!!( I hope I made some sense!)

Once the update has been downloaded, there is no easy way to root the device. The only way to get out of recovery mode is to let it update, unless you're willing to disassemble the device. If you are that desperate to root, you can attempt to force a USB boot by using the method described here. However, that method is quite invasive and possibly dangerous, and I can't be held responsible if using it breaks your Chromecast.
23rd October 2013, 11:36 PM |#10  
Flag NYC
Thanks Meter: 43

More
Hmm i followed the methods mentioned here but flashcast isnt getting loaded My chromecast is new and hasnt been turned on since I ordered it last month ( I've been away) so its still new in the box. I also have a USB 4 port belkin hub with its own power source. I have that plugged into the wall...cable to the hub....USB stick in 1 port with the flashcast bin loaded onto it....other port has usb cable to chromecast which is then hooked to TV. I hold button on cast and connect power..Red light comes on..(still holding button)....nothing happening...I got like 3 dots on my screen but nothing happens even after holding down for 30+ seconds. If i dont press the button on cast and connect power..then it just boots normally ideas?
24th October 2013, 01:53 AM |#11  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Waltham, MA
Thanks Meter: 240

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpuboy87

Hmm i followed the methods mentioned here but flashcast isnt getting loaded My chromecast is new and hasnt been turned on since I ordered it last month ( I've been away) so its still new in the box. I also have a USB 4 port belkin hub with its own power source. I have that plugged into the wall...cable to the hub....USB stick in 1 port with the flashcast bin loaded onto it....other port has usb cable to chromecast which is then hooked to TV. I hold button on cast and connect power..Red light comes on..(still holding button)....nothing happening...I got like 3 dots on my screen but nothing happens even after holding down for 30+ seconds. If i dont press the button on cast and connect power..then it just boots normally ideas?

The Chromecast needs to be connected to the USB-B port of the hub using a regular OTG cable. See my post here for more information.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)