[APP][2013.11.04] RegionLock Away v1.3 [ROOT]

Search This thread

TheCraig

Sep 3, 2011
Helloooooooooooooo
Prepared for when Samsung add this to their older phones until I decide to get a new phone in a month.

You are a ************************************** genius :D

bubbl3

Jul 24, 2010
Dublin
I just tested with my italian sim and it seems my n9008 is unlocked, but great work indeed :good:

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
Great job!!!

Although I don't need this since I am on a Galaxy S4, I still love reading about this. I am guessing that Samsung is getting a kickback from the carriers for doing this. I also know not to blindly accept any carrier updates, especially before reading what they REALLY contain by reading up here at xda. I am rooted anyway so I am immune to an OTA without my considerable intervention. No accidental one button push here :)

P.S. I did buy Triangle Away but have never used it. I just keep it around in case 1 of my friends who is still under warranty needs to use it since I was the one who rooted their device. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot. Also bought Mobile Odin Pro which I have never used, as well as SuperSU Pro which I overuse and abuse every day, thus making up for the other 2 :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Pikeypete

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
Oh. Nice find!! May have to buy it just for that. Just in case the service menu trick doesn't work.

Would LOVE to see Chainfire attack the apps to sd issue with the S4 SGH-M919. If anyone can do this it is probably him.

What service menu trick? I tried the trick I had seen on the S4 and the Note 2 and they didn't work. The Service Menu doesn't have those options.

djcmn

Oct 27, 2012
New Hope, MN
Last edited:
Reactions: AllGamer

Chainfire

Moderator Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Oct 2, 2007
www.chainfire.eu
Unexpected result from updating modem

(Note3 only) In this case, the app cannot determine if the fix worked or not. I might be able to fix this, but I need you to do the following:

- Reboot
- Run RegionLock Away
- Region Unlock
- Pull complete logcat and attach to your reply ("adb logcat -d > logcat.txt")

TMOUS SIM unlock

It's great that this worked for some people, but the AT&T networks were never in the blacklist. I'm not sure how or why the SIM lock got deactivated on blacklist update, but I would certainly not *depend* on this working. Of course, the modem is a black box, but this should be considered an unintended side-effect (with positive outcome)

aegeuss

Jan 20, 2008
Ankara
Great job Chainfire.

I have bought and installed the application from Google Store and run it on my SM-N9000Q which I have bought from Turkey, it worked perfectly and told me everything's ok. I have rebooted and no problem though I don't know if it was locked in the first place since I don't have a second SIM to try.

Regards

SM-N9000Q cihazımdan Tapatalk 4 ile gönderildi

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets

kamso

Aug 12, 2012
Correct me if I wrong, but I feel that there's a lot of confusion. This application is for region SIM unlock and not operator SIM unlock and it's only for N9005 model that contains this restriction. @Chainfire: isn't it?

Envoyé depuis mon HTC One avec Tapatalk

Last edited:

cebs

(Note3 only) In this case, the app cannot determine if the fix worked or not. I might be able to fix this, but I need you to do the following:

- Reboot
- Run RegionLock Away
- Region Unlock

Where is located the logcat.txt?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SWayf

Oct 3, 2006
Munich
@Chainfire:

Should it work on Galaxy S3 (GT I9300)? .. It says that it applied successfully but the lock is still here... after several reboots..

Helps if I send you LogCat?

Thank you very much

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sammy, in their never-ending quest to make sure they've pissed off every single one of their customers at least once, have decided to region lock their latest model devices. This means for example that you cannot use a European device with an American, Middle Eastern, Asian, ... , SIM card. You'd still be able to use the European SIM all over the world, but you would not be able to use a local SIM card while travelling outside of Europe - which would of course be much cheaper.

Sammy claims you can use any SIM card in the world after you've 'activated' with a SIM card from the region the device is from (in our example, Europe), but this has been proven by various (angry) Note 3 owners to not actually be the case.

The region lock is implemented in the form of a network blacklist. Beware that this is not exactly the same thing as a SIM lock, even though they are somewhat related. This blacklist blocks a number of whole countries and carriers, while a SIM lock whitelists one specific carrier. This app clears the network blacklist (region lock), but it may or may not remove the SIM lock, if present. Some have reported it works for them (for example: T-Mobile US Note3 on AT&T network: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2471742), but this should be considered a side-effect.

While removing the region lock does not necessarily affect the SIM lock, various users have reported that inputting a proper SIM unlock code does remove the region lock as well. You can purchase SIM unlock codes at various places on the internet for 20 bucks or so. A benefit of using such a code is that you do not need to root your device or use this app. If you are not rooting your device already for other reasons, I would personally not root it to just region unlock, and buy an unlock code instead.

Compatible devices
    - Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 (MI7, MJ1, MJ3 firmwares)

Future
    Right now, this has only been tested on Note 3's, and found working. Rumor has it Sammy will be bringing the region lock to a lot of devices, even backporting it to devices sold in the past (aren't there laws against this?). There's no way for me to know at this time if this specific method will keep working on the Note 3, or if it will work at all on other devices. Maybe the app will need updating, maybe Sammy will block this hack altogether, etc. Only time will tell.

In theory this hack can be done without rooting or voiding warranty with some device flashing and app modding, but I'm not currently working on that because it would be highly model-specific and I'm a root user anyway.

Relapse
    It is not currently known exactly when the network blacklist is updated. Beware that for example updating your firmware may cause the region lock to reactivate.

Google Play
    Support my efforts (or buy me a beer) and get this app from Google Play (or download it for free from the next post)

Crappy video

Download

This download is identical to the Google Play version, the only difference is you're not buying me a beer :)

(v1.0: 9070; v1.2: 135)
    Changelogs

2013.11.04 - v1.3
    - Added option to relock using backed up files

2013.11.03 - v1.2
    - Support for multiCSC ROMs - if it didn't work before, try again now!

2013.10.05 - v1.0
    - Initial release

- Reboot
    - Run RegionLock Away
    - Region Unlock

TMOUS SIM unlock

It's great that this worked for some people, but the AT&T networks were never in the blacklist. I'm not sure how or why the SIM lock got deactivated on blacklist update, but I would certainly not *depend* on this working. Of course, the modem is a black box, but this should be considered an unintended side-effect (with positive outcome)
    Great work this is going to be very useful for many, Samsung should have never put the lock on the first place. We buy an unlocked device only to find it regional locked, shame on them. Do you think it will be permanent or Samsung could patch it?