N9006 -Chinese Note 3 working Google Play

Search This thread

ShirouX

Oct 8, 2013
Xi'An, China
For those people who have a Chinese version of the Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 it is possible after rooting and installing CWM to flash Google GApps onto the phone giving access to the Google Play store (even though it still localizes showing many Chinese apps by default), Google Accounts, and well everything Google except Google Now. For some reason it still wont function.

Sorry I am not able to give complete credit to who ever came up with the hack because I followed through so many threads last night that I couldn't completely backtrack to the origin. However, I can walk you through my steps to get it on your phone. *****IF you bootloop your phone or brick it I am NOT responsible***** that said following the steps as laid out on the site below has a high probability of successfully rooting your phone.

Step 1. Root the phone: I used the process laid out by galaxynote3root (dot) com making sure to download all the files (I didn't need to download the samsung drivers since I already had them) and then following the root process using ODIN.
Step 2. I flashed SuperUser onto the phone using CWM.

Then I started searching this site, and few others as well as some Chinese sites for how to get the google play store to work, and that's where I lost my footprints into random thread jumping and linking. Finally leading me to site that talked about how to flash Google Play on to the Dual Sim S4 [[[ support.mobicity (dot) com/entries/22148360-How-to-flash-the-Google-Play-Store-on-the-Dual-SIM-Galaxy-S4-GT-i9502 ]]] Guessing that there wouldn't be too much difference between the 4.2.2 version and the 4.3 version of GApps I took a shot in the dark and flashed the GApps file onto my phone using CWM

Step 3. Download the S4 GT-i9502 GApps file from [[[ hotfile (dot) com/dl/232926252/272b320/i9502_FILES.zip.html ]]] The process for flashing this to your phone is the same as flashing SU using CWM.
  1. Put the zip file onto the internal storage of the phone
  2. Turn the power off
  3. Press Volume UP POWER and HOME until the screen flashes and the developer's text appear at the top of the screen release the HOME button continuing to hold UP and POWER
  4. In the CWM screen scroll down to the i9502_Files.zip, press the enter key, and install the only file that says YES.
Once installed reboot the phone and there you go, you now have access to Google Play and all Google Apps except Google Now (still don't know how to fix that)

The only problems that I have encountered is that the Google Search feature seems to crash a lot, which will crash chrome and google voice, google translate, anything that uses Google Search. However, the play store works just fine. Since I don't use Chrome that often because it uses too much data by comparison to UC Browser, I am not entirely concerned with it.

If this works for you, and you Don't experience the Google Search crash please tell me in the comments. I want to know whats different and why mine crashes. If you have already fixed that problem also PLEASE share because I do love google voice search.

***this is my first post so if its not very clear i am sorry***

Toonamy

Jan 21, 2013
For those people who have a Chinese version of the Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9006 it is possible after rooting and installing CWM to flash Google GApps onto the phone giving access to the Google Play store (even though it still localizes showing many Chinese apps by default), Google Accounts, and well everything Google except Google Now. For some reason it still wont function.

Sorry I am not able to give complete credit to who ever came up with the hack because I followed through so many threads last night that I couldn't completely backtrack to the origin. However, I can walk you through my steps to get it on your phone. *****IF you bootloop your phone or brick it I am NOT responsible***** that said following the steps as laid out on the site below has a high probability of successfully rooting your phone.

Step 1. Root the phone: I used the process laid out by galaxynote3root (dot) com making sure to download all the files (I didn't need to download the samsung drivers since I already had them) and then following the root process using ODIN.

Then I started searching this site, and few others as well as some Chinese sites for how to get the google play store to work, and that's where I lost my footprints into random thread jumping and linking. Finally leading me to site that talked about how to flash Google Play on to the Dual Sim S4 [[[ support.mobicity (dot) com/entries/22148360-How-to-flash-the-Google-Play-Store-on-the-Dual-SIM-Galaxy-S4-GT-i9502 ]]] Guessing that there wouldn't be too much difference between the 4.2.2 version and the 4.3 version of GApps I took a shot in the dark and flashed the GApps file onto my phone using CWM

Step 3. Download the S4 GT-i9502 GApps file from [[[ hotfile (dot) com/dl/232926252/272b320/i9502_FILES.zip.html ]]] The process for flashing this to your phone is the same as flashing SU using CWM.
  2. Turn the power off
  3. Press Volume UP POWER and HOME until the screen flashes and the developer's text appear at the top of the screen release the HOME button continuing to hold UP and POWER
  4. In the CWM screen scroll down to the i9502_Files.zip, press the enter key, and install the only file that says YES.
Once installed reboot the phone and there you go, you now have access to Google Play and all Google Apps except Google Now (still don't know how to fix that)

The only problems that I have encountered is that the Google Search feature seems to crash a lot, which will crash chrome and google voice, google translate, anything that uses Google Search. However, the play store works just fine. Since I don't use Chrome that often because it uses too much data by comparison to UC Browser, I am not entirely concerned with it.

If this works for you, and you Don't experience the Google Search crash please tell me in the comments. I want to know whats different and why mine crashes. If you have already fixed that problem also PLEASE share because I do love google voice search.

Thank you so much!! I was stressing out because they didnt wanna swap my phone, and i didnt know when a gapps and custom rom would, if ever, be realeased for these chinese models, but your gapps zip did the trick!

Also, it working perfectly. Hasnt hung one time at all and i used it for many days. Gmail, and everything.

One thing i remember from prvious days of flashing, and that i did this time too; remember to clear all cache, do a factory reset and stuff before you install the GAPPS. Maybe that will help. Not sure if factory reset is needed, but i remember that some of these things were important to clean first for it to be installed correctly. Once i didnt, and i ended up with the programs stopping like you described.

Good luck and many thanks mate

Last edited:

ShirouX

Oct 8, 2013
Xi'An, China
Thank you so much!! I was stressing out because they didnt wanna swap my phone, and i didnt know when a gapps and custom rom would, if ever, be realeased for these chinese models, but your gapps zip did the trick!

Also, it working perfectly. Hasnt hung one time at all and i used it for many days. Gmail, and everything.

One thing i remember from prvious days of flashing, and that i did this time too; remember to clear all cache, do a factory reset and stuff before you install the GAPPS. Maybe that will help. Not sure if factory reset is needed, but i remember that some of these things were important to clean first for it to be installed correctly. Once i didnt, and i ended up with the programs stopping like you described.

Good luck and many thanks mate

I just didn't want to use the Baidu App store or some other Chinese app shop because I don't know if they have mod'ed the apps to include data mining codes or not. Not that I store anything super secrete in my phone but I wanted official GPlay apps.

As for the my Google Chrome and Google Search crashing on me, I didn't find a way to fix them directly so I deleted the apps and reinstalled them now no problems at all.:laugh:

Toonamy

Jan 21, 2013
incor

I just didn't want to use the Baidu App store or some other Chinese app shop because I don't know if they have mod'ed the apps to include data mining codes or not. Not that I store anything super secrete in my phone but I wanted official GPlay apps.

As for the my Google Chrome and Google Search crashing on me, I didn't find a way to fix them directly so I deleted the apps and reinstalled them now no problems at all.:laugh:

Google play is working perfect for me too.

Yeah, I cant live without google apps because i do everything with google. However, i do use sogu pinyin for chinese input so i guess they can still monitor what i do. But thats a problem both in America (NSA) and China (Not sure what you call them here).

Been up all night downloading apps and confugiring the phone so i was late for work today haha

gaylonalfano

Oct 3, 2013
Can't install the GApps - 9006

2. Turn the power off

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I recently purchased the SM-N9006 in Shanghai and just rooted the device following the exact same steps as you listed.

However, when I try to install the GApps file you linked it starts and then aborts the installation with the little Android icon fallen over and with a red !. Not sure what's going on but if anyone has run into this problem please let me know. Or if you have another GApps file that works please share.

Thanks again for your help!

DESIi1

Feb 2, 2013
N9006 English Replacement ROM

Would it be possible to flash a replacement ROM over the Chinese ROM and fix all of the Chinese issues? I brought the N9006 back from China to the USA and have no need for anything Chinese.

Seems for about the same effort it is a better solution if the hardware is close enough between the two ROMs.

gaylonalfano

Oct 3, 2013
Play now working but how to get Gmail, Google Music, Google Now, etc.?

Ok got the GApps file successfully installed. Next bit though...

How can I get apps not available in China like Gmail, Google Music, etc? Just seems limited which is a bummer. Thanks for your help!

chawki212

May 18, 2012
Hi Guys,

I'm on the same boat since i have the N9002 version.
I have already managed to get the Gapps working except Google Now (Cannot show Cards).
I fount that Gapps in the link below to perform the best.

In order to get the Cards to show in Google Now, the device language should be set to (English US). which is missing in the CSC for the N9002 and most probably in your N9006's CSC.
So, we do need someone to help on adding other countries to our 9006 and 9002 CSCs

Cheers

www DOT goo DOT im/gapps/gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip

DESIi1

Feb 2, 2013
Just go with a stock ROM?

I am looking at replacing the ROM with a custom ROM. I prefer a stock ROM but can not find out if any English Samsung stock ROMs will work on my N9006.

Any reason not to go with a custom ROM?
========================================

Hi Guys,

I have already managed to get the Gapps working except Google Now (Cannot show Cards).

In order to get the Cards to show in Google Now, the device language should be set to (English US). which is missing in the CSC for the N9002 and most probably in your N9006's CSC.
So, we do need someone to help on adding other countries to our 9006 and 9002 CSCs

Cheers

chawki212

May 18, 2012
Not sure for 9006 but for 9002 we dont have a choice for costum ROM, at.least for the moment

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

gaylonalfano

Oct 3, 2013
How are you getting Google Music and the TB Pro version installed?

My biggest challenge now is to install the Google Music app. I get the "not available in your country" whenever I try to download it. I've been doing a google search to open the direct link in the play store and that's when the error pops up. Same goes for whenever I try to upgrade the Titanium Backup to the Pro version.

So... my question, how are you guys getting the Google Music app installed? I'd really like it as I've synced my music with Google Music. I'm guessing I should try to find the .apk file somewhere and then install using the CWM at boot-up? Thanks for your help!

chawki212

May 18, 2012
My biggest challenge now is to install the Google Music app. I get the "not available in your country" whenever I try to download it. I've been doing a google search to open the direct link in the play store and that's when the error pops up. Same goes for whenever I try to upgrade the Titanium Backup to the Pro version.

So... my question, how are you guys getting the Google Music app installed? I'd really like it as I've synced my music with Google Music. I'm guessing I should try to find the .apk file somewhere and then install using the CWM at boot-up? Thanks for your help!

There you go..
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5640gn6un6frrt0/com.google.android.music-1.apk

gaylonalfano

Oct 3, 2013
Many thanks! Works like a charm. Question - How are you finding the right/compatible downloads? I'm missing the Google Now if you have that and don't mind sharing. I'm trying to learn this whole Android thing but clearly not quick enough. Thanks again!

chawki212

May 18, 2012
Did you try to browse the play store from your computer ?
As for Google Now, i could only me it work after Wipe Data and connecting through a VPN, but as soon as i installed my Unicom SIM card it stopped working.
On the other side, I think that by Adding my google account while VPN is on helped in relsoving the problem with Google Search crashing.
Let me know if you need Google Search.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-N9002 using Tapatalk

DESIi1

Feb 2, 2013
Getting the Google Apps Store Working

Hi Guys,

Cheers

We all seem to be having different experiences .. very strange.

I used the directions from gaylonalfano below, but the gapps file he recommended would not work. By using the gapps file from just above this message I got the store installed. (had to search for the file, the url was not valid) At first I received a lot of stoppage errors, after re-starting and re-registering several times the stoppages have reduced to almost none.

This bit of success was the key for me to switch SIMs and start to use the III as my primary phone. I look forward to a complete ROM update if additional Chinese ROM issues crop up.

michael1982t

Dec 18, 2010
Support for Safe Rooting ( non-Warranty Voiding )

@designgears & @Chainfire have developed a warranty safe root for other versions of our phone already.

For all of you who already know about the problem with KNOX and voiding your warranty once you root your phone join me on these posts to get us freed from all the worry :)

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2479952&page=151

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487916

Got the Chinese version SM-N9006:

BASEBAND: N9006ZCUBMI3
BUILD: JSS15J.N9006ZCUBMJ3

I'm currently in Shanghai.

navalarcitect

Mar 31, 2011
Root de la Vega :)

After i fed up Chinese Google play, decided to root it the time when i saw Root de la Vega :)
But, the result was not OK.
Actually. i tired first post instruction to root and failed but restarted normally.
Than i tried to root with Vega's instruction and bootloader loop

Do you guys have any idea how bring my phone back in life? :confused:..

Meanwhile, phone is stacked in Odin mode, as shown on pic, my plan is to download stock FW from sammobile and try to flash it with odin..

Any help welcomes and highly appreciated :)

Thanks

buckwurst

Jan 3, 2008
Getting out of the China Play Store

I can share my experience, it may be relevant for some of you. I live in China, but don't read Chinese, so obviously don't want to deal with the Chinese version of the play store. Note, I buy my phones outside of China and dont' know anything about rooting, so this is just about the play store. If you're in China with an international version OR you have a China version and you're seeing the China play store and don't want to, this is how I fix....

On international phones, Play store looks first at sim, and then at Wifi to see what country you're in and what store to show you.

1. Power off
2. Remove Sim
3. Turn phone on
3a. If you're in China, connect to wifi, then connect to VPN and choose whatever country you want the playstore to think you're from
3b. If you're not in China, proceed to step 4
4. Go to application manager and find google play store, click on it and then press "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache"
5. Then open playstore. It should then present you with the version of the country you're in (or you're emulating being in over VPN).

If you live in China but want to buy apps, you'll need to go to the google wallet thing (only ever got it to work on PC over VPN) and then use a credit card that is NOT Chinese. Strangely I use a Singapore CC, but play store seems to think I'm in HK, either way ok with me as not CN.

Good luck, hope above helps. Note, again, this is pretty much for international people/phones in China, not sure if above is relevant for people with China phone in other countries.

Reactions: DESIi1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Getting out of the China Play Store

I can share my experience, it may be relevant for some of you. I live in China, but don't read Chinese, so obviously don't want to deal with the Chinese version of the play store. Note, I buy my phones outside of China and dont' know anything about rooting, so this is just about the play store. If you're in China with an international version OR you have a China version and you're seeing the China play store and don't want to, this is how I fix....

On international phones, Play store looks first at sim, and then at Wifi to see what country you're in and what store to show you.

1. Power off
    2. Remove Sim
    3. Turn phone on
    3a. If you're in China, connect to wifi, then connect to VPN and choose whatever country you want the playstore to think you're from
    3b. If you're not in China, proceed to step 4
    4. Go to application manager and find google play store, click on it and then press "Clear Data" and "Clear Cache"
    5. Then open playstore. It should then present you with the version of the country you're in (or you're emulating being in over VPN).

If you live in China but want to buy apps, you'll need to go to the google wallet thing (only ever got it to work on PC over VPN) and then use a credit card that is NOT Chinese. Strangely I use a Singapore CC, but play store seems to think I'm in HK, either way ok with me as not CN.

Good luck, hope above helps. Note, again, this is pretty much for international people/phones in China, not sure if above is relevant for people with China phone in other countries.
    After i fed up Chinese Google play, decided to root it the time when i saw Root de la Vega :)
    But, the result was not OK.
    Actually. i tired first post instruction to root and failed but restarted normally.
    Than i tried to root with Vega's instruction and bootloader loop

Do you guys have any idea how bring my phone back in life? :confused:..

Meanwhile, phone is stacked in Odin mode, as shown on pic, my plan is to download stock FW from sammobile and try to flash it with odin..

Any help welcomes and highly appreciated :)

Thanks

As far I know, as of now Root De La Vega does NOT support our N9006 version yet. There's a list of phones its supports, even with the N9005 version it supports there seems to be some issues with bugs and backups not working via CWM. Give it time. The phone just came out :)

Update Nov14
    Looks like the devs answered my help call, there's support for N9006 to5 RDLV. Enjoy.