How do you backup your game progress in Android?

Search This thread

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
I still dont quite know if there is a secure way to backup your progress in every game installed in your android device. Many times I reset the device and lose all my progress in all games.

It's something I miss from iTunes, which easily backups all your apps data.

I tried Helium Premium and didn't worked with the game Asphalt 8. I tried copying my progress from my Nexus 10 to my new Nexus 7. Didn't work.

How do you guys backup your games?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Johmama

Apr 2, 2013
I still dont quite know if there is a secure way to backup your progress in every game installed in your android device. Many times I reset the device and lose all my progress in all games.

I tried Helium Premium and didn't worked with the game Asphalt 8. I tried copying my progress from my Nexus 10 to my new Nexus 7. Didn't work.

Thanks.

Have you tried Titanium Backup? Do a backup with data of the game and it should be restorable later. If you're transferring between devices, then you might need to adb pull the backup files and adb push them into the correct folder on the new device.

Actually, if you do use Titanium Backup, you could also just hook your Nexus 10 up to the computer and use Windows Explorer to browse into the TitaniumBackup folder to copy them onto your computer using the GUI, since it's in /sdcard/. Do the same thing to copy them from your computer onto the new device and restore them. You'll have to figure out which files are the ones you need for that game. If you want to avoid any confusion, only backup the game and no other apps in Titanium Backup, then all the files in that folder all pertain to that game. There should around 3 files, and more-or-less have names that are similar to whatever app you need.

For the record: I don't really play games on my tablet or phone. The steps above are all just what I think should work. I actually bought Asphalt 8 and have two devices (Nexus 4 and Nexus 7) that I would want to sync my saves between if I really got into it and I would use the above method if I really wanted to sync them. One thing to note: it probably won't be very wieldy if you are wanting to continually transfer save files between the two devices (to continue progress on the other device, then back on the other one). It'll get old having to do that often.

thor6577

Feb 6, 2012
Mesquite

Thanks.

Actually, Asphalt 8 has cloud capabilities. You just need to go to settings on your Nexus 10 and click Connect. Sign in with Google or Facebook and then it is saved. Then all you have to do is go to your Nexus 7 and connect your game with the same social media account that you connected your Asphalt 8 on your Nexus 10 to. It should work, I have done this when switching ROMs on my Nexus 7. ( Btw I use titanium backup and sometimes Helium too)

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Ok, I just found out something.

I deleted Asphalt 8 on my Nexus 10, which is where I had all my progress, and the installed it again. When opening the game a pop-up window appeared and told me of I wanted to restore my previous progress, located in the cloud. I said yes and it worked.

So I guess the cloud save feature only works inside each device, meaning it can't be synced to other devices, cause in my Nexus 7 it hasn't told me to restore.

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Titanium backup is good. Data Sync is another that let's you automatically sync between various devices over the network and/or save to cloud storage like Dropbox or Box.net

It can automatically find devices to sync with. It is smart enough to compare timestamps and only update newer files. You can sync "on change", on demand, or a set time, WiFi only etc. Works really well. It can also sync your devices and cloud storage at the same time.

Even with one device, it's handy just to get your backups off your device incase there is an accident.

Just install it on all your androids and launch it on one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AarSyl

Thanks.

Are you rooted to begin with? I noticed that this was not mentioned. If you are not, then Titanium Backup is worthless to you.

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Are you rooted to begin with? I noticed that this was not mentioned. If you are not, then Titanium Backup is worthless to you.

Not rooted yet. But I would like to know how to backup games whether it's with root or some other way. I can root whenever I want but need to know first how to backup games.

AarSyl

I don't think that you can. But I don't think that you have to delete all of your data to root, but don't quote me on that. Just make sure that you follow each step correctly. Read ahead before you so anything.

I made a mistake while I was routing, and had to wipe the internal memory. Want a big deal for me, since I only had it for one day before I tried.

Last edited:

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
Having a hard time syncing my Asphalt 8 progress between my two devices: Nexus 7 and SGS3.

I managed to copy my progress from the Nexus to the phone and then lost everything on the Nexus. Now I can't get it to sync from the phone to the Nexus...

It always appears the screen telling me I have two accounts: local and cloud. Which one I want to keep?

It's a mess.

Anyone knows how can I just keep it synced between the two devices? What options do I need to choose on both for them to sync properly?

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
I use a combination of both Titanium Backup (TB) AND Helium.

I found out for some apps, either TB failed or Helium failed. For example, I backed up "Walking Dead: Assault" with TB and although the backup was successful, restoring the app did not bring the game back to where I left off. Helium works, though. And yes.. I did select backup "data" too.

Reactions: themetal2001

iXanza

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 26, 2011
Redmi K20 Pro
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I just use go backup. Though I haven't tested it on asphalt, all my games except cytus and deemo work. Those 2 would not launch after and had to clear data of the app to get it to launch.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk

scandiun

Jul 12, 2010
Unfortunately, there's nothing like the iTunes backup feature on android. Being root the most advisable app is Titanium backup. Without root, you can use the built in adb backup with -apk option, but beware is not complete. Some games have it's own servers to store savegames or own accounts. Google Saved Games is a feature that allows you to sync savegames between different devices provided that the game has the feature.

[INFO] List of games that do and don't support Google Saved Games

Last edited:

jnflos

Feb 13, 2017
This is how I lost my warranty every time, rooting my samsung to be able to use Titanium Backup, tripping KNOX.
And just because over the last years of Android development there is no native way to save and restore deep app data without root.
Why is that? Is it so hard to implement it?
And why must android apps store user-specific data in more then one place in the memory?

This is a feature that should have been implemented in Android core a long time ago:
Settings > applications > select apps to back up > generate an exportable file (protect it with password if that is the concern)
Settings > applications > restore apps > select your backup > select wick applications to restore

And this to work between all Android devices and versions.
In fact Google Play Store app could be updated by Google to provide this functionality and even make backups on the cloud ...but nobody cares...

Also I am not sure how is that option which is now prompting the user to do a backup/restore at a device initial set-up. How much does it actually back up/restore?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I use a combination of both Titanium Backup (TB) AND Helium.

I found out for some apps, either TB failed or Helium failed. For example, I backed up "Walking Dead: Assault" with TB and although the backup was successful, restoring the app did not bring the game back to where I left off. Helium works, though. And yes.. I did select backup "data" too.