FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nexus 7 in-dash install in European Toyota Avensis T25 (2008)

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 8

By iiolivier, Junior Member on 12th October 2013, 10:40 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello,

I share in this thread, my experience of mounting a 2012 Nexus 7 in my 2008 Toyota avensis.

The biggest problem was about :

- Power : a Nexus 7 tablet will not boot, or behave strangely if battery is over discharged. This is a real problem because you have to take care of battery deep-sleep when not in car, remove battery heater apps that will prevent to sleep (frequent with GPS apps). To resume, having a battery in the Nexus 7 in car install raise a lot of complication.

- Risk and security to have an Li-ion battery in the top of my dashboard (danger with high temp and direct sun exposition) : Even in north of France, direct sunlight can raise very very high temperature at the top of the dash. So i was very worried to have a lithium battery. For my safety. I was afraid to find my car burned. It can arrive. I think it's really not a good thing when i see other in-dash mount that keep battery inside the nexus.

So, i decided to remove completely the Li-Ion Battery, and power the tablet directly from a 12V->3.7V DC converter, connected to my cigarette lighter.

Everythink work perfectly now. The only two small side-effect are :

- Car ignition will shut off power 2 ou 3 second, and tablet will reboot.
- 40 seconds boot time. It could be long, but i am rarely in my car for less than 2 minutes. So it's really not a problem. My Tom Tom GPS sometime take 30 seconds to be ok.

Total cost for this project are

- 15 dollar for 12V->3.7V converter on ebay
- 130 dollar for a 16G Nexus 7 on ebay
- 120 dollar for a genuine toyota navigation dash mount extracted from an broken avensis that had toyota GPS.
- Some dollar for adhesive, cigarette lighter plug, etc...

Here is some photo. I will add photo from inside if someone is interested (maybe not for a Toyota).

The main interest is to share for my Power problems

(sorry for my french-english)

My avensis before nexus 7 install

ebay - 12V to 3.7V DC Converter

ebay - Genuine Toyota GPS dash part

Final mount

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	avensis_before1.jpg
Views:	16057
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	2319623   Click image for larger version

Name:	avensis_before_DC37.JPG
Views:	15895
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	2319624   Click image for larger version

Name:	avensis_before2.jpg
Views:	16001
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	2319625   Click image for larger version

Name:	avensis_after2.jpg
Views:	16996
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2319626   Click image for larger version

Name:	avensis_after1.jpg
Views:	16004
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2319628  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iiolivier For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iiolivier Ad-Free

27th October 2013, 10:42 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Battery Wires
Which battery wires did you connect the DC-DC converter to? I see the connector has 2 red and 2 black wires.

Thanks
30th October 2013, 03:29 AM |#3  
Flag Newport
Thanks Meter: 181

Donate to Me
More
That is amazing. It turned out very professional looking and clean. May I ask how long it took you to get everything just right? i.e. months, weeks, ect. Very very impressive work.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholi2789 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nicholi2789 Ad-Free
30th October 2013, 05:25 PM |#4  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 1

More
this is really cool

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
1st January 2014, 10:21 PM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin108

Which battery wires did you connect the DC-DC converter to? I see the connector has 2 red and 2 black wires.
Thanks

On the Nexus 7 :

- I cut the small battery connector keeping the longest cable possible (so i have say bye bye to the battery !)
- I have connected
> the 2 red cable of the nexus 7 connector to the red DC-DC output
> the 2 black cable of the nexus 7 connector the the yellow DC-DC output
> I cut the yellow and white (the 2 remaining) cables of the nexus 7 connector. Those 2 cable role is to let the nexus 7 know about the temperature and battery status. Not anymore useful as no more battery.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholi2789

That is amazing. It turned out very professional looking and clean. May I ask how long it took you to get everything just right? i.e. months, weeks, ect. Very very impressive work.

Thanks. After 3 month, everything work perfectly. It took me about 1 month before i was able to find the best balance.
I unmount Toyota dashboard about 4 times (bad wire, with battery / without battery, etc...)

I really stressed the Nexus 7 and i can say it's really robust !

I am not worried anymore of battery explosion. I wait 45 seconds before tablet is ready to work.
4th February 2014, 04:45 PM |#6  
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Thanks Meter: 56

More
Nice install! I'm going this route with mine.

Are you using Timur's Rom/Kernel?
How did you set it up to power on with the car without having access to the power button on the N7?

Thanks!
5th February 2014, 07:42 AM |#7  

More
I wonder if I can do something like that on my car... And how to make it pleasing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
5th February 2014, 01:34 PM |#8  
Flag Monterrey
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thumbs up
looks great very well done
11th March 2014, 01:30 AM |#9  
Flag Sofia
Thanks Meter: 16

More
@iiolivier Wow man - that's awesome. I have toyota avensis 2003 with GPS included. And I already have Nexus 7 2012.
I will definitely try this.

Can you provide any link for this dc adapter, please? I'm not well-known with electric, wires and etc. (maybe PM to me will be great). Thanks in advance!!!

Cheers from Bulgaria!
20th April 2014, 12:20 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiolivier

B]Risk and security to have an Li-ion battery in the top of my dashboard[/B] (danger with high temp and direct sun exposition) : Even in north of France, direct sunlight can raise very very high temperature at the top of the dash. So i was very worried to have a lithium battery. For my safety. I was afraid to find my car burned. It can arrive. I think it's really not a good thing when i see other in-dash mount that keep battery inside the nexus.

So, i decided to remove completely the Li-Ion Battery, and power the tablet directly from a 12V->3.7V DC converter, connected to my cigarette lighter.

I've had my Nexus 7 installed in my truck last year, but am concerned because I live in Arizona and it's starting to get hot. So there are no issues removingthe bbattery and running the Nexus 7 directly off power? What if I'm currently plugged in from microusb port of tablet to a cigarette lighter charger? this is all hidden behind the dash. Will it still receive power this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawb3

Nice install! I'm going this route with mine.

Are you using Timur's Rom/Kernel?
How did you set it up to power on with the car without having access to the power button on the N7?

Thanks!

I'll try to find it as I did this mod last year and didn't save the url. There is a bootloader adb mod where you can set the Nexus 7 to boot by itself when it receives AC power. I have it set up to boot when key turns ignition and power off after 1 minute without power, using Tasker.

Edit, here's the adb command to have the tablet power on when it receives AC power

Quote:

there is a Fastboot command that you can issue to the bootloader to make the tablet power on once plugged it.* “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 0” makes the unit power on the instant its connected to AC. “fastboot oem off-mode-charge 1” returns to normal state,* so fitting an external switch isn’t 100% necessary, but i decided i wanted one anyway. I’m using Tasker to switch the unit on and off* with the ignition, but having the external switch is a handy addition.

The Following User Says Thank You to dimex For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dimex Ad-Free
22nd April 2014, 09:55 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
you could connect your 3.7v adapter to a constant 12v line and then connect your usb OTG power adapter to a switched 12v line. Then use tasker to detect when the 12v switched goes dead and 'hibernate' the tablet. Then the tablet would run in low power mode off of the car battery untill you turn the car back on. No waiting for the tablet to boot that way and you would keep your time/date.
Great idea about the 3.7v adapter though. I'm stealing that one so I don't need a LiIon battery in the tablet at all.
-J
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)