Internet connection unstable notification

Search This thread

crowbarman

Dec 23, 2011
I just got my phone replaced under warranty for this issue and the new one is having the same problem as the old one. I think I figured out the issue though. I had my router set up to have my 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band using the same SSID and I would constantly get connected, get the unstable error, disconnect, and then reconnect. This was happening literally once a minute or more frequently. As soon as I changed the 5ghz band to a different SSID and connected only to that network, my disconnects and errors stopped. To me that means, it appears to believe your connection is unstable when it can bounce between the 2 bands because they use the same password and SSID. Like it connected to 5ghz, and then suddenly it was on 2.4 and then back on 5 and it had a mini-aneurysm or something.

This fix won't do me much good at work since I can't switch all of the SSIDs at the job sites to accommodate my phone, but at least it may be a start to finding a permanent fix.

There is no problem with having 5ghz and 2.4ghz on the same SSID. The issue is with the 5ghz band and likely the higher channels. When sharing a SSID your phone will connect to whichever frequency is the strongest.

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Interesting - I too have an Asus router (RT-N66U) and have the contact "connection unstable" messages.

I wonder if this is possibly an Asus issue and not a Samsung issue?

There is an option you need to turn off on your 5ghz settings on the Asus. Wireless - Advanced - Professional - Explicit Beam forming to Disable.

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
I just got my phone replaced under warranty for this issue and the new one is having the same problem as the old one. I think I figured out the issue though. I had my router set up to have my 2.4ghz band and 5ghz band using the same SSID and I would constantly get connected, get the unstable error, disconnect, and then reconnect. This was happening literally once a minute or more frequently. As soon as I changed the 5ghz band to a different SSID and connected only to that network, my disconnects and errors stopped. To me that means, it appears to believe your connection is unstable when it can bounce between the 2 bands because they use the same password and SSID. Like it connected to 5ghz, and then suddenly it was on 2.4 and then back on 5 and it had a mini-aneurysm or something.

This fix won't do me much good at work since I can't switch all of the SSIDs at the job sites to accommodate my phone, but at least it may be a start to finding a permanent fix.

I feel ya man. I have the vzw note 3 also got it back in Nov 2013 used it about a month and my wifi keep dropping so i sent it back and got a replacement device and its doing the same exact thing. There is nothing that can fix this unless the 4.4 update helps. Im sick of this piece of **** phone and VERIZON.

☛HYPER?DRIVE☚

crowbarman

Dec 23, 2011
It's the OS not Verizon. Lots of Nexus 5 users complaining as well.. Not sure it is fixed in 4.4.

Sam Sung

Old thread, but ongoing problem, thus the post :).

The real problem here is that the "wifi unstable" feature is poorly thought out and poorly implemented. I do believe that it is detecting wifi issues. This can be helpful, but in its current state, it's not a feature, it's the bane of the Note 3 owner's existence (& I can confirm that the S4 & S4 mini are also affected). Shutting down the wifi connection merely because it's not getting full bandwidth is foolish and silly. Baby, bathwater, etc.

This is not a bad 'feature', but rather a badly implemented 'feature'. There should be a way to turn it off. They could even (optionally) keep the nag (reducing the frequency of its appearance) as a reminder that wifi issues exist. Instead, they have chosen to deny the user any of the wifi connection. Like a spoiled child, all or nothing.

My circumstance is a bit different in that I have one 50mbs cable connection with 2 WRT54GL routers (in the same office space). The 1st WRT ("main" router) is my wired network and my business wifi network. The 2nd WRT is strictly for phones and non-company devices. My new Samsung phones all work fine on the 1st WRT ("main router"), but give the errors on the 2nd WRT.

I have discovered that there are indeed wifi issues with this 2nd router. I believe it is in the topology, but have yet to take the time to check it out (after all, I do have my other ("main”) wifi NW that works fine). But there are other potential issues (differences) as well:

*Router 1 is running DD-WRT firmware, Router 2, stock Linksys.
*Router 2 is on a VLAN from the 1st router and as such has a different IP address range
*Router 1’s WAN is plugged directly to the modem. Router 2 is plugged into one of the LAN ports of Router 1 and further away, traveling through 2 keystone wall jacks using 3 cables and…

Well, you get the point. There are problems with the 2nd router signal. The new Samsung phones detect this. That’s a good thing. The Samsung phones thus drop the connection. That’s a stupid thing. Good idea, very poor execution.

Further, Samsung says they are not aware of the issue (lie). Samsung says they do not consider Google to be a viable source of information or an indicator of the existence of a widespread issue with Samsung phones (ignorant lie).

Let us hope that their “mum status” is just the party line and that they are actually releasing a fix with kitkat. I don't need acknowledgement. I need a fix!

A simple on-off switch. That’s all I ask. Or does Samsung/Android believe that they should decide which connection we use and under what conditions? Totalitarianism at its finest.

Last edited:

gwking11

Mar 19, 2014
finally!!!

I contacted Samsung and they had me perform a cache reset that seems to have cleared up the intermittent unstable internet connection issues;

-Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).
-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
-When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
-When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
-Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
-Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.

Hopefully this works for you as well.

T.

thanks tpaquette.....this has been driving me crazy for weeks now!!!! i always forget about the root menu on the android devices....grrrr :mad:

BEERviper

Dec 13, 2011
Longmont, CO
Thanks for your post Sam Sung, I have seen this issue come and go on my home network and have been unable to find any issue with either my router or my phone settings! I've tried clearing the cache multiple times and it doesn't help any, as soon as the phone reboots I get the glorious wifi notification with the big fat question mark in the middle.

Then next thing I know my wifi has been automatically disconnected, gee thanks! This is after I do some simple speedtest tests and see I'm getting 45+ Mbps down and 5+ Mpbs up with very low ping ... why on earth is this considered unstable when my 2 lenovo laptops and asus tablet have been connected consistently for 30 DAYS without any issues!

I am considering moving to the S5 just to get rid of some of these extremely annoying issues on the note 3! I'm just glad I didn't go drop $200+ on a high end router thinking that is the issue!

:mad:

The real problem here is that the "wifi unstable" feature is poorly thought out and poorly implemented. I do believe that it is detecting wifi issues. This can be helpful, but in its current state, it's not a feature, it's the bane of the Note 3 owner's existence (& I can confirm that the S4 & S4 mini are also affected). Shutting down the wifi connection merely because it's not getting full bandwidth is foolish and silly. Baby, bathwater, etc.

This is not a bad 'feature', but rather a badly implemented 'feature'. There should be a way to turn it off. They could even (optionally) keep the nag (reducing the frequency of its appearance) as a reminder that wifi issues exist. Instead, they have chosen to deny the user any of the wifi connection. Like a spoiled child, all or nothing.

My circumstance is a bit different in that I have one 50mbs cable connection with 2 WRT54GL routers (in the same office space). The 1st WRT ("main" router) is my wired network and my business wifi network. The 2nd WRT is strictly for phones and non-company devices. My new Samsung phones all work fine on the 1st WRT ("main router"), but give the errors on the 2nd WRT.

I have discovered that there are indeed wifi issues with this 2nd router. I believe it is in the topology, but have yet to take the time to check it out (after all, I do have my other ("main”) wifi NW that works fine). But there are other potential issues (differences) as well:

*Router 1 is running DD-WRT firmware, Router 2, stock Linksys.
*Router 2 is on a VLAN from the 1st router and as such has a different IP address range
*Router 1’s WAN is plugged directly to the modem. Router 2 is plugged into one of the LAN ports of Router 1 and further away, traveling through 2 keystone wall jacks using 3 cables and…

Well, you get the point. There are problems with the 2nd router signal. The new Samsung phones detect this. That’s a good thing. The Samsung phones thus drop the connection. That’s a stupid thing. Good idea, very poor execution.

Further, Samsung says they are not aware of the issue (lie). Samsung says they do not consider Google to be a viable source of information or an indicator of the existence of a widespread issue with Samsung phones (ignorant lie).

Let us hope that their “mum status” is just the party line and that they are actually releasing a fix with kitkat. I don't need acknowledgement. I need a fix!

A simple on-off switch. That’s all I ask. Or does Samsung/Android believe that they should decide which connection we use and under what conditions? Totalitarianism at its finest.

fredboy

Dec 10, 2010
Milwaukee
Have you tried other ROMs or is your device locked down on company policy? I noticed that this issue disappeared when I recently rooted and installed the Jelly "Beans" ROM onto it.

This is not a bad 'feature', but rather a badly implemented 'feature'. There should be a way to turn it off. They could even (optionally) keep the nag (reducing the frequenc...

...nism at its finest.

Sam Sung

Have you tried other ROMs or is your device locked down on company policy? I noticed that this issue disappeared when I recently rooted and installed the Jelly "Beans" ROM onto it.

Apologies, just seeing this. I solved this issue by resolving my network issues...a subnet router that was improperly configured. I still believe that a switch to turn it off should be present, but it did motivate me to hunt down the problem. :)

Reactions: fredboy

devlinse

Sep 8, 2010
Changed from DHCP to static IP

I started experiencing this on a Note 2 a couple of days ago after a factory reset. Prior to that this message never appears.

None of my other devices were having a problem and I tried a number of the solutions described above.

What seems to have done the trick for me was changing my wifi settings from DHCP to static. It's possible I'd been picking up an address conflict, so that's something else to look out for. Has been rock solid since.

yelkarama

May 17, 2012
Gatineau
KIS web protection

Hi

I started getting this message after installing Kaspersky internet Security for Android and activating Web Protection at the max level, which is checking ALL internet connections, instead of the standard level which is checking only Chrome's connections.

After checking, I found the max level will configure a proxy server (127.0.0.1:3128) on my wifi connection and soon after the wifi connects, I start getting the unstable connection notification.

I got this behaviour on all my wifi APs.

If I set the protection level to standard, the proxy definition is removed and the aforementioned notification disappears!

Hope it helps ...

gcharma

Feb 9, 2006
Honestly, the way this error appears makes me think it's a Samsung-specific service doing some sort of bandwidth/phone home/ping test, which, if failed, gives the error. For me, it comes up when I apply Android Firewall with some rather restrictive rules. Can't say for certain if that's it, but at any rate if anyone happens upon the service or app that's making this notification appear, I'd love to know so I can squelch it. :)

lanwarrior

Mar 5, 2006
Honestly, the way this error appears makes me think it's a Samsung-specific service doing some sort of bandwidth/phone home/ping test, which, if failed, gives the error. For me, it comes up when I apply Android Firewall with some rather restrictive rules. Can't say for certain if that's it, but at any rate if anyone happens upon the service or app that's making this notification appear, I'd love to know so I can squelch it. :)

I concur on this.

1). Installed Android Firewall
2). Set Whitelist mode (only SELECTED apps can have Internet access)
3). Manually (and painstackingly) allows Internet access to selected app, like Chrome, Gmail, etc. Everything else is not allowed to have access, like local games, comic reading, etc.

As soon as I enabled the firewall, this stupid notification shows up... once every a few minutes.

So..... Samsung DOES PHONE HOME.... or at least, something is trying to connect that I am unaware of.

Android Firewall REJECT log shows the following trying to connect:

- Kernel: it's going to 3 different IP addresses
- Bluetooth test: It's going to 11 different IP addresses (NOTE: I turned off Bluetooth)

Gus Hayabusa

Nov 5, 2011
"Tpaquette's" solution sounded the most possible to me. (cache wipeout p.1)
Did it and after 2mins got the notification again.
This thing is getting on my nerves.
Thanks anyway man.

(Note 3,int.version,stock 4.4.2)

******Update: Noticed something important:
Almost all the times I got the notification, I was either downloading some torrent on my pc, or streaming.
This means (to me at least) that this notification really is valid and when the speed of the connection drops, it refers to it as "unstable" which was true in my case.
Suddenly, I dont mind so much...

Last edited:

VanDerGroot

Jul 3, 2014
Not a network issue

Unless all networks my wife and i connect to have issues, this is not a network issue.

We've tried resetting the cache but there isn't much else we can do. I'm convinced this is a software issue, probably a driver that gives a problem with some phones with a slight defect or version of wifi chip.

I really hope we see a fix soon as this constant message is risking to end this phone.

jgmo

Dec 21, 2017
I have this annoying unstable Internet message on my note 3 too and it drives me nutz! But, I am fairly sure that it IS my internet. I have Hughs net satellite Gen 5 and am aware of the "latency" issue. I'm convinced it's the Hughs net that is setting off the phone because I don't get the message when I go to town. But I have no other high speed Internet option where I live so I'm stuck with Hughs Net.
interestingly enough though my daughters S 7 and a friend's new S 8 work great at my house but the Note 3 won't connect most times, cell or wi-fi, and is sluggish when it does. Do I need to just chuck it and buy a later model?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GN3-unstable internet connection

Is anyone else seeing the Internet Connection Unstable notification frequently? I'm getting it at home and at work, on 802.11n and .11ac. At home the connection is not unstable, new RT-AC66U router (standing next to a PC getting full 1.3gb connection). Have a Note 2 that I never saw this notification once on. Also have never seen this notifcation on my work network with the Note 2, and have with the 3. It also seems to pop up that message even when I have 3 or 4 bars on the connection.

I saw another post about weak cell signal on someone's 3. Anyone else experiencing these notifications regularly, when they should have a strong connection? Should I try to get my phone replaced?

Thanks!

I contacted Samsung and they had me perform a cache reset that seems to have cleared up the intermittent unstable internet connection issues;

-Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.
    -When the device vibrates; release only the Power key while still holding the other two keys.
    -When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.
    -Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and press the Power key to select.
    -Wait for the cache is cleared. While reboot system now is highlighted, press the Power key and reboot the device.

T.
    Is anyone else seeing the Internet Connection Unstable notification frequently? I'm getting it at home and at work, on 802.11n and .11ac. At home the connection is not unstable, new RT-AC66U router (standing next to a PC getting full 1.3gb connection). Have a Note 2 that I never saw this notification once on. Also have never seen this notifcation on my work network with the Note 2, and have with the 3. It also seems to pop up that message even when I have 3 or 4 bars on the connection.

I saw another post about weak cell signal on someone's 3. Anyone else experiencing these notifications regularly, when they should have a strong connection? Should I try to get my phone replaced?

Thanks!

I have seen it while walking around outside, close to the end of Wi-Fi range.... I am not sure the Note 2 had this notification at all, which could be why you haven't seen it before.

T.

The notification was driving me crazy! The only way I was able to temporarily get rid of it is by disabling mobile data while connected to WiFi. For obvious reasons, that could hardly be considered a solution. Accessing the service menu (*#0011#), turning off WiFi power save mode, and rebooting didn't help, so I was planning to return this amazing device.

However, tpaquette, after trying your solution, everything seems to be resolved! Wiping the cache partition did the trick!

Just wanted to report that and say thanks.

JSB
    The notification was driving me crazy! The only way I was able to temporarily get rid of it is by disabling mobile data while connected to WiFi. For obvious reasons, that could hardly be considered a solution. Accessing the service menu (*#0011#), turning off WiFi power save mode, and rebooting didn't help, so I was planning to return this amazing device.

However, tpaquette, after trying your solution, everything seems to be resolved! Wiping the cache partition did the trick!

Just wanted to report that and say thanks.

JSB

The cache clear was a very temporary fix for us. Worked for part of the day. We have been a 5 iphone family for 6 years now and were all switching to the note 3. We already upgraded 2 but these are going back and we will have iphones again. Maybe next year with the Note 3.
    I'm on the other side of this coin... for the past 2 years I've had several devices here at home and they all have worked OK with my home wifi... but with this Note3 I get the unstable notification several times a day... After doing some serious monitoring of my Internet connection I've found out my Internet actually IS unstable and the Note3 is advanced enough to let me know about it... what seems to be happening is my upload speed drops down to, or almost to, zero now and then and that's when the notification pops up... and i appreciate that because it's let me know I have a problem and helped me track it down.

so... that being said... Thank you Note3 for showing me my problem ... BUT ... would be nice to have the option to turn off the notification now that I know what is happening while I decide on what to do for a fix or maybe decide to just ride with it for awhile until I switch to another provider.

Note: it's not your device glitching in that causes this... it's your internet... and your other devices don't have the feature that let's you know you lost your up/down link for a few seconds... seems kinda sensitive though because under most circumstances, small glitches like this that go unnoticed aren't a problem anyway... that's why we have buffering.