FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Warranty when buying Z1 in another country?

411 posts
Thanks Meter: 72

By CollinFX45, Senior Member on 15th October 2013, 03:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Greetings!

I couldn't wait for the C6906 and I was too impatient, so I ordered a C6903 which should fill all my T-mobile needs anyhow. I don't know why I didn't even think of this, but will I have a warranty on this? I ordered it from Hong Kong (I believe) and I am in the United States. The seller says they offer a one year warranty, but what about Sony? I highly doubt any electronics reseller would be able to repair anything intricate on a device like this, so am I out of luck on Sony's warranty? I tried looking up their international warranty and the closest I could find was another forum post stating that the device has to be sent back to Hong Kong if it needs repair.

I haven't even gotten the phone yet, so I don't want to plan for the worst per se, but I am concerned nonetheless. Do any of you have experience buying these "imported" versions with Sony?

Thanks so much!

-Collin-
15th October 2013, 06:38 AM |#2  
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 479

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinFX45

Greetings!

I couldn't wait for the C6906 and I was too impatient, so I ordered a C6903 which should fill all my T-mobile needs anyhow. I don't know why I didn't even think of this, but will I have a warranty on this? I ordered it from Hong Kong (I believe) and I am in the United States. The seller says they offer a one year warranty, but what about Sony? I highly doubt any electronics reseller would be able to repair anything intricate on a device like this, so am I out of luck on Sony's warranty? I tried looking up their international warranty and the closest I could find was another forum post stating that the device has to be sent back to Hong Kong if it needs repair.

I haven't even gotten the phone yet, so I don't want to plan for the worst per se, but I am concerned nonetheless. Do any of you have experience buying these "imported" versions with Sony?

Thanks so much!

-Collin-

Imported phones won't have warranty in your country...
Warranty belongs to nation were phone was originally launched.

Sent from my C6902 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to ImAnurag For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ImAnurag Ad-Free
15th October 2013, 03:53 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAnurag

Imported phones won't have warranty in your country...
Warranty belongs to nation were phone was originally launched.

Sent from my C6902 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Wow, that is very unfortunate. I think I will cancel my order and wait for the phone to come to the US.

-Collin-
15th October 2013, 04:23 PM |#4  
Flag Dallas, Tx
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Collin check the sony store in us they have it on pre order already. Or tmobile will be getting the z1 soon as well as they are releasing the c6906 in Canada today (should be)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
15th October 2013, 05:38 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeze[iT]

Collin check the sony store in us they have it on pre order already. Or tmobile will be getting the z1 soon as well as they are releasing the c6906 in Canada today (should be)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yeah I saw that, but I think it's the HSPA+ model (C6902) which makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I got excited when I saw the preorder today and was hoping it was the C6906, but no dice. I now worry that it will be the same as the Z - the LTE version will be a T-mobile exclusive in the US. That's fine because I have T-mobile, but I always prefer an unbranded non-carrier phone of course

Anyway, thanks! I think I'll send an email to Sony to ask about the warranty.

-Collin-
15th October 2013, 05:53 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Well, if I trust the chat representative (which we know, are always 100% accurate ) then it appears the phone has an international warranty.

Chris Tompkins: Hi Collin, thanks for choosing Sony Xperia™ Chat Support. My name is Chris. Would you please provide me with your full name and email address?
Collin: Collin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Collin: please do not sign me up to receive emails, though
Chris Tompkins: Thank you. What is the model of your device and your service provider?
Collin: I purchased the C6903
Collin: unlocked
Chris Tompkins: As I see in my system the device have a warranty but keep in ind the phone repair doesn't have an estimate time for repair, since the service ccenter will need to request the parts to fix it.
Collin: Okay, there's nothing wrong with the phone and I do not need warranty service right now. My question is just whether or not the phone has an international warranty since I ordered it from Hong Kong, but I live in the United States.
Chris Tompkins: Have I answered all of your questions today or is there anything else I can help you with?
Collin: can you confirm that the phone has an international warranty?
Chris Tompkins: The phone have a warranty as long is not physical, water or system tamper damage. The service facility can fix the phone under warranty it doesn't matter from where it came from.
Collin: okay that answers my question, thank you for your time.
15th October 2013, 09:10 PM |#7  
London
Thanks Meter: 103

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinFX45

Well, if I trust the chat representative (which we know, are always 100% accurate ) then it appears the phone has an international warranty.

Chris Tompkins: Hi Collin, thanks for choosing Sony Xperia™ Chat Support. My name is Chris. Would you please provide me with your full name and email address?
Collin: Collin xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Collin: please do not sign me up to receive emails, though
Chris Tompkins: Thank you. What is the model of your device and your service provider?
Collin: I purchased the C6903
Collin: unlocked
Chris Tompkins: As I see in my system the device have a warranty but keep in ind the phone repair doesn't have an estimate time for repair, since the service ccenter will need to request the parts to fix it.
Collin: Okay, there's nothing wrong with the phone and I do not need warranty service right now. My question is just whether or not the phone has an international warranty since I ordered it from Hong Kong, but I live in the United States.
Chris Tompkins: Have I answered all of your questions today or is there anything else I can help you with?
Collin: can you confirm that the phone has an international warranty?
Chris Tompkins: The phone have a warranty as long is not physical, water or system tamper damage. The service facility can fix the phone under warranty it doesn't matter from where it came from.
Collin: okay that answers my question, thank you for your time.

Keep a record of this... If anything happens you can show it to the warranty people...
15th October 2013, 10:17 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean473

Keep a record of this... If anything happens you can show it to the warranty people...

Will do. It seems the importer already shipped my phone, so I'm stuck with it anyhow

-Collin-
16th October 2013, 04:59 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Hey this may be a solution: get insurance on the phone.

Here in the UK phone insurance is cheapest through your bank, in my case Amex is insuring all my portable electronics for a modest sum.

If it breaks it's covered - so no need to worry about the warranty.

Be sure to check the fine print of your policy or even call the company to ask if you'd be covered.

If you have an expensive phone like this insurance is a good bet anyway...

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to Johann_London For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Johann_London Ad-Free
16th October 2013, 06:35 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann_London

Hey this may be a solution: get insurance on the phone.

Here in the UK phone insurance is cheapest through your bank, in my case Amex is insuring all my portable electronics for a modest sum.

If it breaks it's covered - so no need to worry about the warranty.

Be sure to check the fine print of your policy or even call the company to ask if you'd be covered.

If you have an expensive phone like this insurance is a good bet anyway...

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app

That's a great idea, actually. Here in the States, the big one is "Square Trade" I think. I used PayPal to buy the phone - should have used my Amex!

-Collin-
16th October 2013, 07:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Wel im surprised, I ordered mine from Amazon instead and they give me til november to return it If i dont like it, with 0 penalties like 20% restocking fee from gsmnation, so far the best deal I got, since shipping for 1 day since I got prime cost me 3.99, cant beat that for 1 day shipping. Im impressed so far, the only issue is with of course spotty network, since in the US I get LTE in some areas, yet not as fast as any LTE phones I had before.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)