FORUMS

[Fixed] Removing camera shutter speed for Aussie Note 3 (requires root)

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 17

By vdai, Junior Member on 17th October 2013, 01:57 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Firstly, just to address some of the "fixes" that have been offered in in this forum:

Muting volume or setting sound to silent
Doesn't work.

Renaming/removing "shutter.ogg" from system/media/audio/ui
This doesn't work as the sound files is embedded in the camera apk.

Adding <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>FALSE</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu> into "others.xml"
Doesn't work. This enables the menu option in the camera app but does not permit the setting to be changed.

Wanam Xposed or Enforcedstreamsilencer
Neither works.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, the only surefire way I've found to kill the shutter sound is to replace the audio files that are actually embedded in the stock camera apk with silent versions of the same files. I've modified the apk to remove all sound except for the ticking in the camera timer (which I think is actually useful) and the panorama mode start/stop sounds. Happy to upload another modified one with all sounds removed if there's interest.

Unfortunately the file is too big to attach to XDA forums and I don't have permission to link externally so you'll have to copy and paste the short URL below to get it from my SkyDrive.

sdrv.ms/16gFVqc

To install the apk you will need root access to your phone and a file manager that can access root functions. Do the following:
  1. In your file manager navigate to system/app path and locate "SamsungCamera2.apk"
  2. Rename it something else like "SamsungCamera2.apk.bak"
  3. Copy over the modified apk into the same location
  4. Make sure the permissions of the new file are the same as the original
  5. Enjoy (no need to reboot)
Note that I'm not responsible if your phone and/or camera breaks, bricks or gains sentience and chokes you in your sleep. I'm not a android developer, just a desperate guy who wanted to use the stock camera quietly for non-perverted, non-nefarious reasons (trust me) and I've only confirmed that it works with the Aussie Note 3. Anyone else use at your own discretion.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to vdai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vdai Ad-Free
17th October 2013, 03:54 AM |#2  
Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Talking
Trying it out now, This has been driving me nuts for the past couple of days,
The Auto Focus sound is just way too loud.

I'll let you know how it goes !

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdai

Firstly, just to address some of the "fixes" that have been offered in in this forum:

Muting volume or setting sound to silent
Doesn't work.

Renaming/removing "shutter.ogg" from system/media/audio/ui
This doesn't work as the sound files is embedded in the camera apk.

Adding <CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>FALSE</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu> into "others.xml"
Doesn't work. This enables the menu option in the camera app but does not permit the setting to be changed.

Wanam Xposed or Enforcedstreamsilencer
Neither works.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, the only surefire way I've found to kill the shutter sound is to replace the audio files that are actually embedded in the stock camera apk with silent versions of the same files. I've modified the apk to remove all sound except for the ticking in the camera timer (which I think is actually useful) and the panorama mode start/stop sounds. Happy to upload another modified one with all sounds removed if there's interest.

Unfortunately the file is too big to attach to XDA forums and I don't have permission to link externally so you'll have to copy and paste the short URL below to get it from my SkyDrive.

sdrv.ms/16gFVqc

To install the apk you will need root access to your phone and a file manager that can access root functions. Do the following:

1. In your file manager navigate to system/app path and locate "SamsungCamera2.apk"
  2. Rename it something else like "SamsungCamera2.apk.bak"
  3. Copy over the modified apk into the same location
  4. Make sure the permissions of the new file are the same as the original
  5. Enjoy (no need to reboot)
Note that I'm not responsible if your phone and/or camera breaks, bricks or gains sentience and chokes you in your sleep. I'm not a android developer, just a desperate guy who wanted to use the stock camera quietly for non-perverted, non-nefarious reasons (trust me) and I've only confirmed that it works with the Aussie Note 3. Anyone else use at your own discretion.

You Sir are a Legend!!!.
Confirmed Working!!!
17th October 2013, 04:16 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I tried it and camera finally shut up . For some reason, this got rid of the "processing....." delay after every shot as well. Very well done. Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to ioneng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ioneng Ad-Free
17th October 2013, 09:55 AM |#4  
Hi all,

What worked for me was editing the customer.xml in the csc folder.
Navigate down to <camera> and then change
<ShutterSound>on</ShutterSound>
to
<ShutterSound>off</ShutterSound>
save and then restart phone.
Now when the phone is in silent mode no camera sound.
This also fixes wanams no camera sound even if phone isn't in silent I believe.

Worked for me on my optus branded N9005

Hope this helps in some way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to choppiii For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift choppiii Ad-Free
17th October 2013, 11:34 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Worked for me with SM-N9005. Perfectly mute focusing sound and shutter sound.

Brilliant work !

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to -Nx- For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift -Nx- Ad-Free
17th October 2013, 02:06 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppiii

Hi all,

to

Gave this a try. Totally works on my Aussie unbranded N9005.

So it looks like there are now two confirmed methods of muting camera sound:

If you want to be able to mute sound by turning the volume down, then do choppiii's method
If you want to permanently mute the sound (in case you forget to turn the volume down, which I would probably do) then use my method to replace the camera apk.

Hooray choices!
The Following User Says Thank You to vdai For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vdai Ad-Free
18th October 2013, 11:43 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

Hi all,

to

thank you ...
The Following User Says Thank You to volumenn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift volumenn Ad-Free
20th October 2013, 01:29 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Hi,

Replaced apk. Starting camera from the drawer keeps it quiet. However if you have lock screen swipe to left to enable the camera then shutter sound is there. Weird. Anyone else?

Also changing mode let say for sport mode brings sound back again for me.

Renaming /system/media/ui camera related sound files seems to help to this issue..
22nd October 2013, 09:11 AM |#9  

More
I tried all the listed methods on my aus note 3 from vodafone. The only one that worked was the choppiii method. It let the system mute stop the camera shutter sound. I stil want a working menu option.

Samsung really know how to upset me. I rooted this device specifically to get rid of that sound.
22nd October 2013, 11:57 AM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdeeanRDeathshead

I tried all the listed methods on my aus note 3 from vodafone. The only one that worked was the choppiii method. It let the system mute stop the camera shutter sound. I stil want a working menu option.

Samsung really know how to upset me. I rooted this device specifically to get rid of that sound.

Hi...

Instead of adding
<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>FALSE</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>
Into the others.xml add
<CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>TRUE</CscFeature_Camera_ShutterSoundMenu>
In other words add true not false...
I can't confirm if this works or not as I'm running omega rom and it already has it enabled...
Let me know how it goes....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to choppiii For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift choppiii Ad-Free
22nd October 2013, 12:51 PM |#11  

More
Quote:

Hi all,

to

Did this, cheers!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
camera, mute, shutter, silent, sound

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)