FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to restore / import Line chat history!

301 posts
Thanks Meter: 236

By BillBauman, Senior Member on 17th October 2013, 07:55 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Skip to How to Import Chat History below to skip the background reading.

Yes, there is a graphical import method for Line!

If you use Line, and you want to change between devices, it seems as though it is nearly impossible to backup (export) and restore (import) your Line chat history. I have searched XDA, Google, AndroidForums, Line's (useless) online help, etc. No help, no info. There are some guides about how to use a SQL editor to fool the app, etc., but that was just way too much effort for me, so I finally gave up and just switched. BUT, before I did, I went ahead and exported all my chats, even knowing there was no way to import them, just in case. Well, that just paid off.

There is absolutely no method available within Line to restore your chat history, right?! WHY is there a backup option? There MUST be a way! Seemingly no.

I just figured it out. And when I explain it, you too will wonder, why in the !#$%@^[email protected]%!#@$!#[email protected]^*%^&(*%^@# has Naver not published this?????

I was on my way to back everything up in preparation for a new ROM and figured I'd do a complete and total system wipe, meaning, I went to take a look at my internal storage (SDcard, Emulated, 0, whatever you refer to it as), to ensure that I got all the little things I want, like Viber pictures, WhatsApp pics, etc. And there I saw it. The folder. And, like you are now thinking, I thought, just maybe...

How to Import Chat History (Abbreviated, Quick and Easy)

Copy your chatHistory.zip file to internal storage sdcard/LINE_Backup
Start Line, open an existing chat or start a new chat with the person whose chat history you want to restore
Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, Chat Settings, and look what just showed up below the (formerly) useless Backup Chat History option

How to Backup and Restore Chat History (Additional Details)

Line offers a "Backup Chat History" option, but keep in mind, this is conversation / per-person specific. That means, you need to do it for each individual person.

For my own ease of use, and to make transferring things easy, now that I know what the process is, here's what I did.

Backing Up

Go into the conversation you want to backup.
Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, and select Chat Settings.
Select Backup Chat History, Backup All
Say Yes to e-mail this chat - in a previous version, I had to enter the conversation person's name in the subject, the new Line now does this for me.
Repeat this process for every conversation you want to migrate to a new device.

Restoring

On your new device, save the attachments from each e-mail into the /InternalSDCard/LINE_Backup/ directory.
Start Line, go to Chats, Tap the Chat Bubble in the upper right to start a new conversation, select the person you want to restore
Your chat window will be empty, but from here, you just follow the instructions above, basically, drop-down arrow, Chat Settings, Import Chat History

And that's it.

I REALLY hope this helps some people out. I wasted a LOT of time trying to figure this out, and as usual, once you know the solution, it's pretty simple and seems so obvious.

If I helped, throw me some Thanks button so I know I wasn't the only one!
The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to BillBauman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BillBauman Ad-Free

6th November 2013, 01:13 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I have a google Nexus 5, which doesn't have any internal storage.

Are you able to specify where this should be copied too as I cannot seem to find the right holder.

Also, what am i copying in there? The actual zip file or an extract of the zip file?one
6th November 2013, 10:35 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkwhong

I have a google Nexus 5, which doesn't have any internal storage.

Are you able to specify where this should be copied too as I cannot seem to find the right holder.

Also, what am i copying in there? The actual zip file or an extract of the zip file?one

On your internal storage of your Nexus 5, create a folder called: LINE_Backup the exact upper/lower case and _ matter. Put the LINE backup zips in that folder, do not extract them. LINE knows which zip goes with which user, you just have to start the chat and import per the instructions above.
14th November 2013, 11:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBauman

How to Backup and Restore Chat History (Additional Details)

Line offers a "Backup Chat History" option, but keep in mind, this is conversation / per-person specific. That means, you need to do it for each individual person.

For my own ease of use, and to make transferring things easy, now that I know what the process is, here's what I did.

Backing Up

Go into the conversation you want to backup.
Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper right, and select Chat Settings.
Select Backup Chat History, Backup All

Unfortunately, The "Backup All" setting only applies to one-on-one conversations. Group chats only give you the Backup as Text option.
The Following User Says Thank You to raveur For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raveur Ad-Free
15th November 2013, 12:52 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveur

Unfortunately, The "Backup All" setting only applies to one-on-one conversations. Group chats only give you the Backup as Text option.

That sucks. I haven't tried a group chat in LINE before. Did you try a backup/import to see if it would work? I'm sort of assuming no, that it doesn't work, based on your post. :/
15th November 2013, 11:20 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thanks!
A huge THANKS for this, saved me alot of trouble.

Still, anyone figured out how to import group chats? Maybe from the text file?
17th November 2013, 09:56 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by daer2dai

A huge THANKS for this, saved me alot of trouble.

Still, anyone figured out how to import group chats? Maybe from the text file?

A big you're welcome.

I don't have enough LINE friends to actually have a group chat and try to figure it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to BillBauman For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BillBauman Ad-Free
18th November 2013, 02:49 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
I just found a method for importing the chat history using Titanium Backup and the terminal. You need root for this. Recently Line made some changes that made this more
Hope you find this useful.

1. Restore Line with Titanium Backup (app+data) (DON'T OPEN THE LINE APP YET!)

2. Log into a root shell and delete the previous settings:

sqlite3 /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/databases/naver_line
delete from setting;
.quit

3. Now we have to delete this xml only if you are using a recent version. In previous ones it didn't even exist as far as I know
rm /data/data/jp.naver.line.android/jp.naver.line.android.settings.xml

4. Open the Line app and it will ask you to enter your user and password.
You will receive a warning about losing your chat history. Just ignore it and...

5. Enjoy!
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to daimyorl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daimyorl Ad-Free
22nd November 2013, 02:01 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I had copy the zip files to the Line_backup folder which was already in the phone internal memory. However, there is no Import Chat History Button.

The Line version was the latest one and had Force Stop and restarted Line. Still to no avail.
The Following User Says Thank You to shackks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shackks Ad-Free
25th December 2013, 05:21 AM |#10  

More
Is there any way to view the chat log?
What format is it saved in and how would you go about viewing the chat log if you were sent one from a chat that wasn't yours?
30th December 2013, 08:41 PM |#11  

More
Didn't Work on LG Android Optimus
I must be doing something wrong, but it seems I've followed all the steps. The LINE_backup files are in my SD card, but when I click Import Chat History>yes>ok, nothing happens... :/
I made an account just to post on here and hopefully find out.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)