[Q] Need answer for Can't mount cache/recovery

Search This thread

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
I am trying to restore a NC that won't boot. After making a new bootable CMW sd card, the nook will boot but has the error message

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command, etc.

I have tried various boot images tonight - Leapinlar's, eyeballer's, and another one. I have tried several SD cards. I still get the same error message. I have fixed the 'no boot' problem on a couple of NC's by fixing the partitions, but have not seen this error myself before.

I have searched and found this error mentioned a lot here in the forums, but have yet to find a definitive answer or solution. Is it hardware related, or SD related?

Has anyone had this error and found a solution that worked?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
I am trying to restore a NC that won't boot. After making a new bootable CMW sd card, the nook will boot but has the error message

E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/command, etc.

I have tried various boot images tonight - Leapinlar's, eyeballer's, and another one. I have tried several SD cards. I still get the same error message. I have fixed the 'no boot' problem on a couple of NC's by fixing the partitions, but have not seen this error myself before.

I have searched and found this error mentioned a lot here in the forums, but have yet to find a definitive answer or solution. Is it hardware related, or SD related?

Has anyone had this error and found a solution that worked?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

You messed up your partition table. You'll need to look at this tutorial by leapinlar http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1759558

sagirfahmid3

Jul 20, 2013
I realize that my partitions do need to be fixed, but I can't get past the error message to run the zip files.

Hmm...Can you at least get ADB working on your pc? It should work even if your partitions are messed up. It sure did for my Nook Tablet. I totally bricked it and ended up repairing it from adb shell alone (had to manually remake partitions).

Type in "adb shell" in the command line. Should list your serial number. If it shows "00000000" then your ROM partition is prob. messed up.

Type in "fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0" (press q to quit after observing the partitions listed). Type "blkid" If it lists your factory partition (for me, it's mmcblk0p3) and it is still intact, you can get your ROM partition's info back and that will allow you to boot successfully.

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
That error message is an indication that your /cache partition is not functional (probably along with your other partitions). Are you saying this error prevents you from flashing anything?

If so, your solution is to get ADB working and using fdisk to manually rebuild the partitions.

You might also try putting a ROM on SD and see if that boots. Then you can use Terminal Emulator to run fdisk.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

k8108

Jun 27, 2010
That error message is an indication that your /cache partition is not functional (probably along with your other partitions). Are you saying this error prevents you from flashing anything?

If so, your solution is to get ADB working and using fdisk to manually rebuild the partitions.

You might also try putting a ROM on SD and see if that boots. Then you can use Terminal Emulator to run fdisk.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

Correct, I can not flash anything from recovery.

I did make a boot-able SD using your image (leapinlar) and the nook wouldn't boot. (It would have been great if it had!) So I'm going to keep working to see if I can understand and work ADB.

Last edited:

ajai1425

Jul 29, 2016
Hmm...Can you at least get ADB working on your pc? It should work even if your partitions are messed up. It sure did for my Nook Tablet. I totally bricked it and ended up repairing it from adb shell alone (had to manually remake partitions).

Type in "adb shell" in the command line. Should list your serial number. If it shows "00000000" then your ROM partition is prob. messed up.

Type in "fdisk -l /dev/block/mmcblk0" (press q to quit after observing the partitions listed). Type "blkid" If it lists your factory partition (for me, it's mmcblk0p3) and it is still intact, you can get your ROM partition's info back and that will allow you to boot successfully.

Yes, I got list
It says
Device Boot start end blocks ID system
Dev/block/mmcblk0p1 * 1 3865 31165952 c win95 fat32 <lba>
then I used blkid
it says
/dev/block/vold/179:1: UUID="1cd2-ff94" type="vfat"
/dev/block/mmcblk0p1: UUID="1cd2-ff94" type="vfat"

please help me now.. further..
I want to start my device.. its in cwm 6.0.4.3 recvovery mode.
and e can't moount errorss..
please help me further in adb how to delete these stupid block and get my note 2 n7100 back in life