FORUMS

3G speed on O2 128k or 384k

15 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By frogspit, Junior Member on 18th November 2005, 11:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This will apply to some people as they may already be set up for the higher speed with O2.

To have the 3G speed increased you will need to contact O2 data support team and ask them to make the amendment to your account the following is information about the 3G service from data support

Quote:

"3G Speeds - 128k or 384k
By default a 3G sim with data but no voice will have a maximim of 384k data rate. By default a 3G sim with data + voice will have a maximum of 128k data rate.
Therefore a 3G data card for a laptop will come with a 384k sim. And Xda Exec for example, will come with a 128k speed sim"
The speed increase can be completed by changing the connection speed indicator on O2's systems this will need to be done by data support

19th November 2005, 11:48 AM |#2  
Flag St Helens
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Cheers for that - I got my SIm the other day and notice it wasn't significantly faster!

Thanks Again

Darren
19th November 2005, 03:48 PM |#3  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 2

More
You are 100% Correct
Just spoke to O2 Data support, who barely knew it, and they confirmed:
All Voice 3G cards are defaulted to 128K
You need to call and ask to have that moved up to 384K.
Rather stupid don't you think?
19th November 2005, 07:24 PM |#4  
Wellington

More
Re: You are 100% Correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycollins13

Just spoke to O2 Data support, who barely knew it, and they confirmed:
All Voice 3G cards are defaulted to 128K
You need to call and ask to have that moved up to 384K.
Rather stupid don't you think?

Imagine if every 3G sim ever sent requests 384k service. On a typical 2meg cell, that's about 4 users.

No imagine even 10% of the 3G wap handsets doing this. 384k to download 2kb pages? insane network management.

The actions of the many affect the services of the few.... and it's nuts to give everyone 384 when 99.9% of your customer base won't use it.

I believe other carriers have a similar approach...
19th November 2005, 10:26 PM |#5  
Flag London

More
Yes, but it's blatently dis-honest to advertise 384k and 128
They are are just opening themselves to a major law suit or slap on the wrist. Everywhere they advertise 384k, yet even the video calls pass at 128K,???? So now, nine and my wife's will pass at 384K
Much better,. but dis-honest from o2 for sure,
21st November 2005, 10:08 AM |#6  
Flag Enschede
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Re: Yes, but it's blatently dis-honest to advertise 384k and
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycollins13

They are are just opening themselves to a major law suit or slap on the wrist. Everywhere they advertise 384k, yet even the video calls pass at 128K,???? So now, nine and my wife's will pass at 384K
Much better,. but dis-honest from o2 for sure,

Not to be picky, but video-calling does not use the 384Kb at all. It is using a standard voice-channel for this (it is circuit-switched, instead of packet data). A standard voice-channel is 64Kbit....
21st November 2005, 10:19 AM |#7  
UK
Thanks Meter: 367

More
I called the the O2 Data Team at the weekend I was told that the maximum speed I could expect even on UMTS was 128kbps!

For those that have been told that the data rate has been changed have you seen an improved performance? When I do have a UMTS connection I find the download speed to be adequate for most web sites I visit (e.g. here and my-symbian).
21st November 2005, 10:30 AM |#8  

More
I've just called Data Services, and been told it is not possible to upgrade the speed to 384k if you have a voice enabled sim.
He was willing to send me out a data-only sim (with 384k enabled), but I said that was useless to me.
Can't believe that's as fast as I'm going to get on 3G.

Is it just me, or does browsing feel slower than 36k most of the time?
21st November 2005, 10:43 AM |#9  
Flag London

More
That seems wrong to me
The technician was not aware and then he saw it and said he needed a special tech guy to turn it on, but it was doable. My advice try again, you may fall on a more cooperative fellah.
M
21st November 2005, 10:48 AM |#10  

More
Just picking myself up off the floor here.....the same O2 Tech Support guy just phoned me back!! Told me he had done further investigation and was told that it is possible with the Exec (there's a surprise, not like O2 to tell you one thing, and then find out it is blatantly untrue).
Anyway he is making the change, but says that I shouldn't expect speeds much above 256k.

The technical term (as frogspit originally posted) is a 'Speed Indicator', mentioning that should get your uneducated O2 Technician pointed in the right direction.

Top marks to the guy for phoning me back though.
21st November 2005, 11:01 AM |#11  
Flag London

More
We have lift off
Mine is noticeably faster now. Test your 3G speed here:
http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Mine was off the charts, so i am now happy.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)