FORUMS

[HOW-TO] Extract System.img

92 posts
Thanks Meter: 10
 
By bormeth, Member on 25th October 2013, 09:59 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys Lets get the ball rolling and get some development out into the light.

First you will have to download the OTA from Google.
Google’s OTA(13300): http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/...8a47e9f124.zip

Next download “SquashFS Exracter”, this tool is used to extract the System.img.
SquashFS Exracter: https://mega.co.nz/#!oEMFQCrC!JbD_9X...9cKMRzq2i_vEDU

When you are ready to go, simply drag system.img onto unsquashfs.exe, and the extraction will do its thing.
A new folder named “squashfs-root” will be where the system.img were located. This folder contains the extracted System.

Have a look around, and please report findings!

Findings
/res/ - Contains some of the images used for the system. The boot animation is placed here.
/netflix/ - Self-explanatory. The Netflix app for the Chromecast.
/chrome/content_shell.pak – Contains a lot of useful information for the right eyes.
/chrome/osd_images/**** - Contains images used for the on-screen-display atm. volume slider.
/chrome/locals/ - Contains language files for the Chromecast.


Thx to ddggttff3 and tchebb for the links etc.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bormeth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bormeth Ad-Free
30th September 2014, 09:08 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Flag Brno
Thanks Meter: 127
 
More
Just FYI guys, here is link for newest OTA, build 19084, so you can check, what's new is inside.

http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/...83cc00957a.zip

For extract system.img download and use SquashFS Exracter tool from previous post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Srandista For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Srandista Ad-Free
30th September 2014, 02:51 PM |#3  
Junior Member
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 13
 
More
Prompt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bormeth

Hey guys Lets get the ball rolling and get some development out into the light.

First you will have to download the OTA from Google.
Google’s OTA(13300): http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/...8a47e9f124.zip

Next download “SquashFS Exracter”, this tool is used to extract the System.img.
SquashFS Exracter: https://mega.co.nz/#!oEMFQCrC!JbD_9X...9cKMRzq2i_vEDU

When you are ready to go, simply drag system.img onto unsquashfs.exe, and the extraction will do its thing.
A new folder named “squashfs-root” will be where the system.img were located. This folder contains the extracted System.

Have a look around, and please report findings!

Findings
/res/ - Contains some of the images used for the system. The boot animation is placed here.
/netflix/ - Self-explanatory. The Netflix app for the Chromecast.
/chrome/content_shell.pak – Contains a lot of useful information for the right eyes.
/chrome/osd_images/**** - Contains images used for the on-screen-display atm. volume slider.
/chrome/locals/ - Contains language files for the Chromecast.


Thx to ddggttff3 and tchebb for the links etc.

I've been playing with unsquash in linux to add stuff to /etc. I realised linux can have a symlinks to a symlincs. So we can rederect /system/etc to /data/etc if we want to. It's probebly not so secure to have several symlincs in a chain, but I wanted ta add stuff like motd and profile to etc without reflasing it evertime I make a change.

First on then Cromecast
-----------------------------
cp -pr /system/ /data

On Debian 7
---------------
su root
apt-get install squashfs-tools
mkdir flash
cd flash
wget http://pdl.team-eureka.com/ota/19084.001.zip
unzip 19084.00.1.zip
unsquashfs system.img
cd squashfs-root
mv etc etc.bk
ln /data/system/etc -s etc
cd ..
rm system.img
mksquashfs squashfs-root system.img
rm -r squashfs-root
zip test1.zip *

And then you flash it with flashcast. Now we got a writable etc catalog. I haven't tryed symlinkc all catalogs in the system dir, but bin and etc are working fine as symlincs to /data/system dir.
22nd November 2015, 05:33 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Brno
Thanks Meter: 127
 
More
Just FYI guys, there is again new build, and here is link for that OTA, build 46278.

http://cache.pack.google.com/edgedl/...a97e27ec7e.zip

For extract system.img download and use SquashFS Exracter tool from first post.
24th November 2015, 08:24 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mape0661

I've been playing with unsquash in linux to add stuff to /etc. I realised linux can have a symlinks to a symlincs. So we can rederect /system/etc to /data/etc if we want to. It's probebly not so secure to have several symlincs in a chain, but I wanted ta add stuff like motd and profile to etc without reflasing it evertime I make a change.

First on then Cromecast
-----------------------------
cp -pr /system/ /data

On Debian 7
---------------
su root
apt-get install squashfs-tools
mkdir flash
cd flash
wget (i cant post links... -_-)
unzip 19084.00.1.zip
unsquashfs system.img
cd squashfs-root
mv etc etc.bk
ln /data/system/etc -s etc
cd ..
rm system.img
mksquashfs squashfs-root system.img
rm -r squashfs-root
zip test1.zip *

And then you flash it with flashcast. Now we got a writable etc catalog. I haven't tryed symlinkc all catalogs in the system dir, but bin and etc are working fine as symlincs to /data/system dir.

when i try this my CC just hangs at the black screen after the Eureka logo. instead of modifying etc, i just added a text file to etc so i could see if it got flashed. my file is there, and i can use SSH/Telnet and the web controls, it just wont boot past the black screen. Any advise?
24th November 2015, 12:42 PM |#6  
ddggttff3's Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 1,534
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper33

when i try this my CC just hangs at the black screen after the Eureka logo. instead of modifying etc, i just added a text file to etc so i could see if it got flashed. my file is there, and i can use SSH/Telnet and the web controls, it just wont boot past the black screen. Any advise?

Were you modifying the image as root? If not, you can have permission issues when rebuilding the squashfs file.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddggttff3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddggttff3 Ad-Free
24th November 2015, 09:23 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3

Were you modifying the image as root? If not, you can have permission issues when rebuilding the squashfs file.

well now i feel stupid, indeed i wasn't root, thank you!
10th August 2016, 06:41 PM |#8  
lollyjay's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Fresno
Thanks Meter: 1,637
 
Donate to Me
More
Hi I need specific help with the mksquashfs.exe command in Windows to repack system.img to system.sfs
Specifically, if I have the system.img on c:\ temp folder, what is the syntax to end up with system.sfs in same directory.
Can anybody help?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromecast, extract, squashfs, system.img

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes