Tomtom 5 and Wired Tomtom GPS Receiver

Search This thread

Apocalypse

Nov 26, 2005
I thought I would add my tuppenyworth to the Tomtom problems with the XDA 2i. Bought a wired Tomtom "Official" GPS receiver for it and tried it with TT5 to no avail. It would not recognise the receiver at all no matter how I tried to specify it's com ports etc..

I eventually upgraded to TT5.1 and it worked immediately with no problems at all. Been working fine ever since.

fatblokes

Nov 23, 2005
if it matters

hi, i have a xda 2i and use tomtom 5.20, when i use my wired gps i was told to switch off the infra red beam, mine seams to work like that.

piers

Nov 22, 2005
port problem?

could anybody help? my xda2i never works with tomtom5... :cry:

how to switch the beam off pls??

piers

Nov 22, 2005
O2 XDAIIi with tomtom 5.21 and BT GPS receiver

but there is still problem with the signals, it can display the right UTC time, and numbers of satellites, such as 29 on the North, but there all gray and said no valid GPS signal!

the com ports couldn't be changed which are com5 inboard, com6 outboard.

does anyone know what the proble is pls??

ps: I installed the BTHTools1100, but no change

see the attachment pic

many thanks

Attachments

• dsc0002.jpg
    dsc0002.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 8

Philou

Jan 8, 2005
Hi Piers,

i've got exactly the same problem :-(.

With a GlobalStar BT348, the GPS signals are plainly perfect. But when i connect the official Tomtom wired receiver, i only get the grey bars, although, like you, the UTC and spinning wheel are there, indicating the GPS is detected.

I looked at the compatibility list on the Tomtom site, and besides Dell and iPaqs, there seems to be nothing compatible with the wired receiver.

Anybody has other information?

Philou

Jan 8, 2005
Hi again,

I think I found the solution :D

1. of course, "receive all incoming beams" has to be off
2. apparently, you can not have a paired BT GPS receiver (even inactive) when you want to use the wired Tomtom receiver... :shock:
I guess it has to do with the way WM2005 deals with GPS... :?:

So, in BT devices, delete the partnership with the BT receiver and everything works fine with the wired one. In TT5, simply declare the receiver as a wired Tomtom :eek:

I used it this morning, driving 100km, 90minutes, without a crash or anything :D