Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384545282156.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384545282156.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 628

gj23

Apr 15, 2012
Michigan
Hi all,
I came across many posts that mocked users who reported about "phones getting automatically updated". I also laughed along:victory: with the mockers initially and started being careful about updates on my ATT I337 GS4. I kept a really close watch ( after all I shouldn't get mocked by me, right? ) :angel:

On 14-Nov-2013, when I pressed check-for-updates button, it paused for a loooooong time and finally mentioned about an update and prompted me if I want to go with it. Catch is it only has a Continue button at the bottom and no other buttons.:mad:

I tried pressing the back-key and still the screen didn't show any changes. I just pressed the home key and thinking it would go away due to time out issue or something, but I decided not to go to that screen at all. :confused::mad:

15-Nov-2013 (phone not restarted at all)

1) I thought am good except when I once saw that it started downloading the update automatically offering me no options to stop or pause it. :mad:The only thing I knew that I could do was disconnect the wifi or just shut down the cell phone completely.

Now, in the hope:rolleyes: that it would offer me update-decision-options I didn't disconnect and shutdown the phone either and just let it continue.:silly: My phone later prompted me that the download is complete and ready to install with 2 options - install now or later. I chose the later option. and it just was waiting in the notifications area. This notification didn't go at all even after I swiped it to delete/remove and it waited there all the time. Once and then, I happened to see the prompt, and I carefully chose the later option.
Another day passed by

16-Nov-2013 (phone not restarted at all all through)

I went to a meeting later leaving the phone in my drawer, hoping that any update would wait.:silly:

2) I thought am good again only until I returned from a meeting only find my phone updating itself automatically. After few minutes, it restarted and I can feel with my hand - the device was little-more-warmer than earlier and the phone showed the MJ9-basedband info along with the Android 4.3 mention on it. :(:crying:

Lessons learnt:
1) Never believe the ATT Updates. They are designed to be dictatorial 1 way no matter what. They are to be installed NOW or LATER. We cannot chose a Not to install completely.
2) When a lot of people are being mocked at, there must be at least some valid few/all of them who aren't entitled to.
I guess I don't understand, if you didn't want the 4.3 update, why were you checking for it? From what I have gathered, the only fail safe method of preventing the update is to root and then freeze the software update or remove the .apk's that look for it. I guess hindsight is 20/20 and it's a little late now.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
I am sorry to ask but Knox app like on Verizon is not with this update is it?

I see the apps running but how can you create the separate profile like you can on Verizon?

ricky71153

Aug 6, 2010
update

So I had root then unrooted and could not get the update to go through after several tries so I odined mf3 and now it just keeps saying that I am up tp date on 4.22. I have gone forward on the date several days then after no luck, tried factory reset and still no luck. Before I odined I could at least :crying: pick up the update now it doesn't do that ???????? Any idea's??

customhdrider

May 24, 2010
So I had root then unrooted and could not get the update to go through after several tries so I odined mf3 and now it just keeps saying that I am up tp date on 4.22. I have gone forward on the date several days then after no luck, tried factory reset and still no luck. Before I odined I could at least :crying: pick up the update now it doesn't do that ?? Any idea's??

I have the same thing going on with mine,been trying for 2 days now and still haven't gotten it to work ,,only wanting it so I can sell an updated phone,I already upgraded to the Note 3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

jherring002

Nov 7, 2013
I'd be doubtful of it coming in.

Has anyone tested if vroot still works on MJ9?

try bringing down the status bar, pressing the corner button to show all toggles, and pressing the button to the left of it to edit.

its not there... there is no button for data toggle

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Gheesh, It's been an hour and I'm only at 16%! Looks like I'm gonna be at this all night with a headache!! And It better be worth it, too! :D

Sent from my GT-P7310 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mine reset to 1.0.. gonna try to reset it and open camera again.... okay it resets every time camera is opened.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
So I had root then unrooted and could not get the update to go through after several tries so I odined mf3 and now it just keeps saying that I am up tp date on 4.22. I have gone forward on the date several days then after no luck, tried factory reset and still no luck. Before I odined I could at least :crying: pick up the update now it doesn't do that ?? Any idea's??

I have the same thing going on with mine,been trying for 2 days now and still haven't gotten it to work ,,only wanting it so I can sell an updated phone,I already upgraded to the Note 3

ATT's website is now showing MF3 as the latest software again. It's possible they stopped the roll-out.

shamelin73

Jul 27, 2010
Dallas
Just got off a chat with Samsung for what it's worth AT&T pulled Knox software because its not compatible with something that AT&T has on the phone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jherring002

Nov 7, 2013
Unless im mistaken...still no autocorrect...there is however autocomplete...so press space and it will complete the word...or am I missing something?? Cause my phone i stilo isnt autocorrecting and see nothing for aurocorrect in keyboard settings

you need to hold down the microphone you your samsung keyboard.... go to settings... (the gear looking thing) There is an option for auto replacement... flick that to on... = Auto Correct

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Well everyone on Verizon is using it and moderators would of closed the post if it was that sketchy

Moderators closed my post about this root method. There are several threads explaining how to use and how to stop any access to your device.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

digitalreflex

Nov 26, 2011
Took a couple hours to download and it finally worked on 4th install attempt. I was on MF3 and root. Only lost my root and will just have to wait until a new one is available.

mg2195

Dec 5, 2011
RSM
you need to hold down the microphone you your samsung keyboard.... go to settings... (the gear looking thing) There is an option for auto replacement... flick that to on... = Auto Correct

That's what I was referring to when I said autocomplete...but yeah for the most part appears to be auto correct...but it's description leads it to just be like predictive text lol prob just their way of getting around that apple auto correct patent :p

jherring002

Nov 7, 2013
4.3 Update

So I updated to 4.3 last night.

I can say 3 things.

1.) Phone feels smoother than it did on 4.2.2. Not by a lot but there is a difference.
2.) My battery is doing better so far. I streamed musing downloading from 4g LTE from 11am - 4:25pm. Did some light surfing of the web througout the day and some heavy surfing for about 30 minutes. (Screen on for 30 min strait.) Took my phone off the charger @ 8:25am and @ 5:50pm I have 37% battery left. That is with coming home and doing some surfing on wifi as well. Before with that useage, I would have had to use my external portable charger.
3.)No data toggle as people have mentioned (in the tray, there is a way to turn it off through your settings though) and some more bloatware apps. (mentioned earlier no need to repeat them.)

Overall, I'm happy with it.

troybklyn

Aug 31, 2008
+1

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

So I updated to 4.3 last night.

I can say 3 things.

1.) Phone feels smoother than it did on 4.2.2. Not by a lot but there is a difference.
2.) My battery is doing better so far. I streamed musing downloading from 4g LTE from 11am - 4:25pm. Did some light surfing of the web througout the day and some heavy surfing for about 30 minutes. (Screen on for 30 min strait.) Took my phone off the charger @ 8:25am and @ 5:50pm I have 37% battery left. That is with coming home and doing some surfing on wifi as well. Before with that useage, I would have had to use my external portable charger.
3.)No data toggle as people have mentioned (in the tray, there is a way to turn it off through your settings though) and some more bloatware apps. (mentioned earlier no need to repeat them.)

Overall, I'm happy with it.

+1

cmtmcelroy

Sep 1, 2013
Irasburg
I just got the update as well. I'm gonna check back when I'm done.

Edit: Is this download taking forever for anyone else?

mine took 5 hours and now my phone is constantly freezing up.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I had the same problem with mine, I simply went into Titanium backup and erased the data for the AT&T software update and kept trying until it went through. Now I wish it hadn't ever worked I freeze up all the time and lost root until they come up with a new one.

Russ77

Jul 26, 2012
Hi all,
I came across many posts that mocked users who reported about "phones getting automatically updated". I also laughed along:victory: with the mockers initially and started being careful about updates on my ATT I337 GS4. I kept a really close watch ( after all I shouldn't get mocked by me, right? ) :angel:

On 14-Nov-2013, when I pressed check-for-updates button, it paused for a loooooong time and finally mentioned about an update and prompted me if I want to go with it. Catch is it only has a Continue button at the bottom and no other buttons.:mad:

I tried pressing the back-key and still the screen didn't show any changes. I just pressed the home key and thinking it would go away due to time out issue or something, but I decided not to go to that screen at all. :confused::mad:

15-Nov-2013 (phone not restarted at all)

1) I thought am good except when I once saw that it started downloading the update automatically offering me no options to stop or pause it. :mad:The only thing I knew that I could do was disconnect the wifi or just shut down the cell phone completely.

Now, in the hope:rolleyes: that it would offer me update-decision-options I didn't disconnect and shutdown the phone either and just let it continue.:silly: My phone later prompted me that the download is complete and ready to install with 2 options - install now or later. I chose the later option. and it just was waiting in the notifications area. This notification didn't go at all even after I swiped it to delete/remove and it waited there all the time. Once and then, I happened to see the prompt, and I carefully chose the later option.
Another day passed by

16-Nov-2013 (phone not restarted at all all through)

I went to a meeting later leaving the phone in my drawer, hoping that any update would wait.:silly:

2) I thought am good again only until I returned from a meeting only find my phone updating itself automatically. After few minutes, it restarted and I can feel with my hand - the device was little-more-warmer than earlier and the phone showed the MJ9-basedband info along with the Android 4.3 mention on it. :(:crying:

Lessons learnt:
1) Never believe the ATT Updates. They are designed to be dictatorial 1 way no matter what. They are to be installed NOW or LATER. We cannot chose a Not to install completely.
2) When a lot of people are being mocked at, there must be at least some valid few/all of them who aren't entitled to.

the emergency method to stop an update is to put your phone into airplane mode, use one of the proven root exploits (jortex method or the now banned from xda methods if you're adventurous), and freeze via titanium backup AT&T Software Update.

how do you get titanium backup on your phone in airplane mode? download the .apk file on a computer, copy to SD or extSD, and install as untrusted app.

muniz_ri

Jun 27, 2012
mine took 5 hours and now my phone is constantly freezing up.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

I had the same problem with mine, I simply went into Titanium backup and erased the data for the AT&T software update and kept trying until it went through. Now I wish it hadn't ever worked I freeze up all the time and lost root until they come up with a new one.

I read another post of someone having issues after taking the update with a rooted phone. It may be best to unroot and return to stock before updating, IMO.

Reactions: troybklyn

Top Liked Posts