SM-T210 Root without ODIN!

Search This thread

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Hey guys, since I wanted the flashcounter to keep from climbing up too high, I was looking for a rooting method, that would not involve Odin.
I searched all day long and finally had luck with THIS ONE.
Works like a charm, but leaves a chinese version of superuser behind. But I guess everyone who is looking for root and makes it, should be able to change the superuser.apk (dont forget to set the correct permissions ;) ).
To grant Superuser permissions, you need to hit the right button at the superuser prompt!
-sidenote- mine updated during the setup process, so wait till it goes all the way to 100% and installs again.

Well other than that, have fun and now I need to look into mobile Odin, because then I guess we wont need Odin anymore and can keep the flash-O-meter from climbing ;)

Maybe someone can also create a full system-dump, so we can restore untouched partitions if needed. Would be great if someone who is new here could do so!

TWRP ADB flasher(no Odin-no flashcounter):

http://d-h.st/xde
Credits go to @gr8nole (TWRP) @Ilko (the script) @redy2006 (the package)
If I forgot you here, please PM me and I ll add you ASAP!

Hope it helps some fellows out :)

Oh and maybe I can find out about the exploit they are using, so we can make our own software, without having to install their software :D

Last edited:

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Cool!

Too bad I already rooted my SM-T210 with Odin by now. Still an interesting find!

I also had it rooted before already, flashed back, rooted it this way, flashed TWRP and guess what, I think I also found a simple way to turn you custom status to official again :D both in the tab and in downnload mode, so I got root, TWRP and am still status: official and able yo update :D already made a nandroid, so others can test it as well ;)

Sent from my SM-T210 using xda app-developers app

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Does anyone wanna try to restore my backup and see if you also get a rooted but still "official" device? If yes, PM me and I ll upload it ;)

G

GuestX0032

Does anyone wanna try to restore my backup and see if you also get a rooted but still "official" device? If yes, PM me and I ll upload it ;)

Nice, the value has to be stored somewhere where flashing neither custom ROMs nor Recovery touch it...shouldn't be too hard to find it - but probably dangerous...(bootloader partition?)

Last edited:

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Nice, the value has to be stored somewhere where flashing neither custom ROMs nor Recovery touch it...shouldn't be too hard to find it - but probably dangerous...(bootloader partition?)

Try the following:
I first flashed the ROM released in October 2013, then rooted and installed TWRP.
Then:
Delete Sysscope data
Stop the process
Stop Enterprise vpn (not sure, if this is necessary)
Delete Enterprise sysscope data

Shut your tablet down,
Reboot to upload mode, enter it and check for the change, then hold the powerbutton for 10 secs to reboot and also check in Settings-About phone-Status
And please report back :)

Sent from my LG-P760 using xda app-developers app

G

GuestX0032

Try the following:
I first flashed the ROM released in October 2013, then rooted and installed TWRP.
Then:
Delete Sysscope data
Stop the process
Stop Enterprise vpn (not sure, if this is necessary)
Delete Enterprise sysscope data

Shut your tablet down,
Reboot to upload mode, enter it and check for the change, then hold the powerbutton for 10 secs to reboot and also check in Settings-About phone-Status
And please report back :)

Did it but it didn't help, would probably have been too easy ;). Still 2 Flashs and both on "custom". In settings, too. I don't care too much about it, but if you'd like me to try something else, I'll try to help.

EDIT:
I did find this though: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2315942
Maybe I'll check it out later.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

I did find this though: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2315942
Maybe I'll check it out later.

I tried it - did't kill my phone but now I can't access "Settings". This seems like a good time to try your Backup...is it for the T210? Can I flash it via CWM or do I need TWRP?

Last edited:

N00BY0815

Nov 6, 2011
Mine is made via TWRP and is forthe 210 version. Ill upload it, one it get to it and poat a link here. If I forget it, please PM me after lets say 12 hours ;)

G

GuestX0032

Mine is made via TWRP and is forthe 210 version. Ill upload it, one it get to it and poat a link here. If I forget it, please PM me after lets say 12 hours ;)

After flashing stock I tried your rooting method but it did't work... I also found this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460 wich was originally designed for Sony Phones but is reported to work on Samsung devices, too. Unfortunately it didn't work for me either...
I flashed CWM (from the forums) and rooted via CWM afterwards. Continuing with CM 10.2 now ;)

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
OnePlus 7T
U could also root the tab 3 t210 using cydia impactor. It didnt increase my flash counter since this tool uses adb to root although u have to install busy box and superuser apk from play store

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

U could also root the tab 3 t210 using cydia impactor. It didnt increase my flash counter since this tool uses adb to root although u have to install busy box and superuser apk manually from play store.

ricc@rd

Dec 6, 2010
It works! I just gained root permissions on my new gtab :)
Thank you N00BY0815 !!!

Last edited:

ricorico94

Jul 25, 2012
It works! I just gained root permissions on my new gtab :)
Thank you N00BY0815 !!!

Does this mean that my current sm-t210 (in fw 4.1.2) which is stock and non rooted can be rooted without losing warranty ?

and the mention about a chinese superuser is easy to "repair" and get back my French status ?

Or what about this other method from Ironman38102:
U could also root the tab 3 t210 using cydia impactor. It didnt increase my flash counter since this tool uses adb to root although u have to install busy box and superuser apk from play store
Ironman38102 : could you detail the procedure ? I'm very intrested in any mean to root my tablet without losing warranty..

ricorico94

Last edited:

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
OnePlus 7T
Does this mean that my current sm-t210 (in fw 4.1.2) which is stock and non rooted can be rooted without losing warranty ?

and the mention about a chinese superuser is easy to "repair" and get back my French status ?

Or what about this other method from Ironman38102:

Ironman38102 : could you detail the procedure ? I'm very intrested in any mean to root my tablet without losing warranty..

ricorico94

First make sure all the drivers are installed then go to this website http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ and download the tool. Then launch the tool and u may see option #drop supersu etc. Etc. And then press start. After when its completed download and install supersu then download busybox and install busybox via busy box app.

Done(Hope I was clear enough)

Its Going to be LEGEND--wait for it--DARY!-Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)

Reactions: GT-B7330

ricorico94

Jul 25, 2012
First make sure all the drivers are installed then go to this website http://www.cydiaimpactor.com/ and download the tool. Then launch the tool and u may see option #drop supersu etc. Etc. And then press start. After when its completed download and install supersu then download busybox and install busybox via busy box app.

Done(Hope I was clear enough)

Its Going to be LEGEND--wait for it--DARY!-Barney Stinson(How I Met Your Mother)

Thanks.
In Cydiaimpactor, do we need to change anyoption ? (you mention "#drop supersu, etc." : do we need such options or just leave them as they are ?)
Is it the cydiaimpactor which is allowing root, or the supersu and busybox ? Those apps (busybox and supersu) are supposed to require root, but I didn't know they are used to root.

ricorico94

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
OnePlus 7T
Thanks.
In Cydiaimpactor, do we need to change anyoption ? (you mention "#drop supersu, etc." : do we need such options or just leave them as they are ?)
Is it the cydiaimpactor which is allowing root, or the supersu and busybox ? Those apps (busybox and supersu) are supposed to require root, but I didn't know they are used to root.

ricorico94

Leave them as they are and when u run that tool it roots ur device but does not install the busybox and superuser so install those after u run cydia impactor.

ricorico94

Jul 25, 2012
Leave them as they are and when u run that tool it roots ur device but does not install the busybox and superuser so install those after u run cydia impactor.

I downloaded cydiaimpactor, but It doesn't find my device. When I connect tablet on PC, the PC can see the tablet. Just in case, I downloaded some drivers (not found on samsung which apprently only lists in downloads some manuals.. but google drove me to some pages with samsung drivers) and my PC can discuss with tablet.
But when clicking "start" in Cydia, I receive an error message "no device found" and if I tru the USB/scan menu, I also receive an error message "no such device". Any idea ?
Cydia had no installer, so I unzipped all files in a temporary folder (c:\temp\cydiaimpactor) and double click on the .exe .

ricorico94

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
OnePlus 7T
I downloaded cydiaimpactor, but It doesn't find my device. When I connect tablet on PC, the PC can see the tablet. Just in case, I downloaded some drivers (not found on samsung which apprently only lists in downloads some manuals.. but google drove me to some pages with samsung drivers) and my PC can discuss with tablet.
But when clicking "start" in Cydia, I receive an error message "no device found" and if I tru the USB/scan menu, I also receive an error message "no such device". Any idea ?
Cydia had no installer, so I unzipped all files in a temporary folder (c:\temp\cydiaimpactor) and double click on the .exe .

ricorico94

Try reinstalling the drivers by connecting it in a different usb port. It will search and install the drivers then try again

ricorico94

Jul 25, 2012
Try reinstalling the drivers by connecting it in a different usb port. It will search and install the drivers then try again

I'm stupid... I had forgotten to enable "usb debug".. Once enabled, I run cydia with same error, but retrying 1 minute later, it worked !
After cydia, I did not install supersu, but only rootkeeper, which detected the tablet as rooted.
What is the advantage of supersu ? Description lists many features, but are those really helpfull when usage is not to develop but rather to enable use of apps such as adblocking, security, etc. ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and bravo for having found and published ths method which allows my device to remain with "official" status !

ricorico94

Last edited:

ironman38102

Sep 9, 2012
Manama
OnePlus 7T
I'm stupid... I had forgotten to enable "usb debug".. Once enabled, I run cydia with same error, but retrying 1 minute later, it worked !
After cydia, I did not install supersu, but only rootkeeper, which detected the tablet as rooted.
What is the advantage of supersu ? Description lists many features, but are those really helpfull when usage is not to develop but rather to enable use of apps such as adblocking, security, etc. ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and bravo for having found and published ths method which allows my device to remain with "official" status !

ricorico94

U need supersu and busybox for most scripts and apps here in xda and playstore so I suggest you install it. Also pressing thanks is alot better than saying it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, since I wanted the flashcounter to keep from climbing up too high, I was looking for a rooting method, that would not involve Odin.
    I searched all day long and finally had luck with THIS ONE.
    Works like a charm, but leaves a chinese version of superuser behind. But I guess everyone who is looking for root and makes it, should be able to change the superuser.apk (dont forget to set the correct permissions ;) ).
    To grant Superuser permissions, you need to hit the right button at the superuser prompt!
    -sidenote- mine updated during the setup process, so wait till it goes all the way to 100% and installs again.

Well other than that, have fun and now I need to look into mobile Odin, because then I guess we wont need Odin anymore and can keep the flash-O-meter from climbing ;)

Maybe someone can also create a full system-dump, so we can restore untouched partitions if needed. Would be great if someone who is new here could do so!

TWRP ADB flasher(no Odin-no flashcounter):

http://d-h.st/xde
    Credits go to @gr8nole (TWRP) @Ilko (the script) @redy2006 (the package)
    If I forgot you here, please PM me and I ll add you ASAP!

Hope it helps some fellows out :)

Oh and maybe I can find out about the exploit they are using, so we can make our own software, without having to install their software :D

ricorico94

U need supersu and busybox for most scripts and apps here in xda and playstore so I suggest you install it. Also pressing thanks is alot better than saying it
    root

Thanks for the post this worked once I remembered to set to USB bugging mode good thing I read Chinese (joking):cowboy:
    Cool!

Too bad I already rooted my SM-T210 with Odin by now. Still an interesting find!

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

U could also root the tab 3 t210 using cydia impactor. It didnt increase my flash counter since this tool uses adb to root although u have to install busy box and superuser apk manually from play store.