FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Help Needed With JDK Install

54 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By Imnice777, Member on 28th October 2013, 12:11 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm just starting in my attempt to develop apps for Android, and am starting by learning Java. I have downloaded the Headfirst Java textbook along with JDK and Eclipse. However, I can still not open the .class and .java extension files needed for the textbook. Perhaps I did something wrong? What exactly is supposed to open those files? I am running Windows 8 and have not figured this out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
5th November 2013, 05:33 AM |#2  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnice777

I'm just starting in my attempt to develop apps for Android, and am starting by learning Java. I have downloaded the Headfirst Java textbook along with JDK and Eclipse. However, I can still not open the .class and .java extension files needed for the textbook. Perhaps I did something wrong? What exactly is supposed to open those files? I am running Windows 8 and have not figured this out. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

.class is a compiled executable, just like exe why you need to see the content of it, .class is meant to be executed. just do java <yourclass_name> and press enter. in CMD prompt. it will run.
as you said you had installed eclipse/JDK?, then to open java file it is an editor.

Are you facing anything else ?
Amit
6th November 2013, 03:36 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Eclipse can be kinda funky if you haven't got your classpath set up correctly. Try installing Intellij IDEA and opening the .java files in that, compiling then running.
14th January 2020, 04:48 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
If you have a hard time installing JDK
Try goormIDE
You can easily build a development environment with a cloud IDE service that provides docker-based containers.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)