[GUIDE][Android 4.3] Update to VRUEMJ7 and Keep Root

2,650 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,721

By open1your1eyes0, Senior Member on 30th October 2013, 05:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
How to Update to VRUEMJ7 and Keep Root

Video Demo of the Process (Courtesy of DroidModd3rX and team)

Quote:

***Please Note***

Quote:

If you have any issues with this method and skip Step 1 please do not post questions about your issue until you have completed ALL of Step 1 and then the rest of the method over again. Step 1 is REQUIRED to make sure to avoid the OTA failing for you even if you have done it in the past some time ago.

Step 1 - Preparation

Quote:

First we need to prepare your device by returning it to a factory stock image to make sure all mods and system-related changes are removed (or OTA will fail)

• Head over to this thread and download the VRUDMI1 Factory Image and flash via ODIN
  • Let your device boot back to OS and confirm everything is working as it should
  • Head over to this thread and root your device exactly as per instructions there
  • Let your device boot back to OS and confirm everything is working as it should and you have root access as well
  • Do Not apply any other mods or anything else until all steps in this guide are complete or OTA will fail!

Step 2 - Restoring One Modded File Back to Stock

Quote:

Next we need to restore one modded file that was necessary for the root method from the previous step back to stock in order to allow the OTA to complete successfully

• Download the prepare_param.zip attachment I have in this post to your computer/device and unzip the prepare_param.sh file inside it
  • Move the prepare_param.sh file to your device SD card (internal or external doesn't matter)
  • Using app like Root Explorer, move the prepare_param.sh file from your SD card location to replace the one located already in /system/bin/
  • It should ask you if you want to replace the file (if it doesn't ask you are moving to the wrong location)
  • Once it is moved, set the permissions on that file to rwxr-xr-x (Important!)

Step 3 - Enabling Survival Mode and Taking the OTA

Quote:

For the final step, we need to enable "Survival Mode" in the SuperSU app to force keeping root through taking the OTA

• Open your SuperSU app and in the settings list, place a check in the option called "Survival Mode"
  • You may have to purchase the SuperSU Pro app for this option to appear (highly recommended purchase for future purposes if you care about root on your devices)
  • Make sure that "Survival Mode" option is enabled you WILL lose root after taking the OTA with no way of going back!
  • After ALL the above is done, just take the OTA as regular from the Software Update screen (Settings > "More" tab > About phone > Software update)
  • Once the OTA completes flashing entirely (should be 5-10 minutes) and boots back into to the OS, you should now be updated to Android 4.3 and have complete root access like before

WARNING: This guide is anyone that has a device on full VRUAME7, VRUDMI1 buids or above. Anyone still on VRUAMDK please do not take ANY OTAs or you will lose your Loki/Bootloader access for good!
Attached Files
File Type: zip prepare_param.zip - [Click for QR Code] (357 Bytes, 2490 views)
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift open1your1eyes0 Ad-Free
30th October 2013, 05:29 PM |#2  
Flag Hermitage, PA
Thanks Meter: 862

Donate to Me
More
Good work! Anyone having success with this and try safestrap, have any success at flashing to Rom Slots any particular Roms such as Hyperdrive and which Module if any is required or am I way too early to expect this answer yet?
The Following User Says Thank You to lazer9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lazer9 Ad-Free
30th October 2013, 05:42 PM |#3  
Flag central ohio
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Doing it right now. Ill let you know of my results
Edit. I did the mi1 odin and the root de le vega when it came out so ive been running that and i extracted and did survival mode. Downloaded the ota but errored out during instal
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
30th October 2013, 05:48 PM |#4  
Flag So Cali
Thanks Meter: 10

More
so for clarification.... those of us on mdk shouldn't take this method as we would lose our recovery, correct? This is just for those who want to keep ROOT w/ safestrap only while being on MJ7.
30th October 2013, 05:49 PM |#5  
Flag Canandaigua
Thanks Meter: 3

More
I'll give this a shot.. AFTER I receive my replacement for last night's screwup. Lol

Anyone got a replacement recently? What version do they ship with?

It's just one of those traditional and well-known Verizon Warranty replacements.
30th October 2013, 05:50 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgod

so for clarification.... those of us on mdk shouldn't take this method as we would lose our recovery, correct? This is just for those who want to keep ROOT w/ safestrap only while being on MJ7.

That's correct. This is only for folks on ME7 and above since their bootloader is already locked down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift open1your1eyes0 Ad-Free
30th October 2013, 06:05 PM |#7  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 27

More
If we are already on VRUEMJ7 without root, will this method work to go back to VRUDMI1, get root, and go to VRUEMJ7 keeping root?
The Following User Says Thank You to fclifton For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fclifton Ad-Free
30th October 2013, 06:07 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
So if i'm on mdk then I should just flash http://invisiblek.org/sch-i545/firmw...MJ7_fw.tar.md5 in odin?
30th October 2013, 06:12 PM |#9  
Flag Canton Ohio
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Since I already accepted the OTA I am on MJ7 with no root. Do you think the Verizon recovery utility would roll me back to MI1 so that I could use this method? Does anyone know what version would be installed via the recovery utility if I do the full wipe recovery?
30th October 2013, 06:26 PM |#10  
Flag 27858
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by icomputerz

I'll give this a shot.. AFTER I receive my replacement for last night's screwup. Lol

Anyone got a replacement recently? What version do they ship with?

It's just one of those traditional and well-known Verizon Warranty replacements.

I've received a warranty replacement (refurb) and an insurance replacement (New in box) and both had ME7 installed.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Well, that was fast. Thanks!

Quick question: I've been rooted via the MI1 Root de la Vega method since it was posted. Do you suppose I could just begin the MJ7 root process at step #5 or would it be recommended that I perform the entire process?

Asking mostly because I'm lazy like that.
30th October 2013, 06:30 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag New York City

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings73

I've received a warranty replacement (refurb) and an insurance replacement (New in box) and both had ME7 installed.

---------- Post added at 01:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

Well, that was fast. Thanks!

Quick question: I've been rooted via the MI1 Root de la Vega method since it was posted. Do you suppose I could just begin the MJ7 root process at step #5 or would it be recommended that I perform the entire process?

Asking mostly because I'm lazy like that.

The main method starts actually from step #5. Steps 1-4 are to avoid people complaining it doesn't work, forgetting they had mods, Xposed framework, Safestrap, or any other system-related changes on their device.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to open1your1eyes0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift open1your1eyes0 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mj7, root, supersu, survival mode, vruemj7

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)