Video Demo of the Process (Courtesy of DroidModd3rX and team)
If you have any issues with this method and skip Step 1 please do not post questions about your issue until you have completed ALL of Step 1 and then the rest of the method over again. Step 1 is REQUIRED to make sure to avoid the OTA failing for you even if you have done it in the past some time ago.
Step 1 - Preparation
First we need to prepare your device by returning it to a factory stock image to make sure all mods and system-related changes are removed (or OTA will fail)
- Head over to this thread and download the VRUDMI1 Factory Image and flash via ODIN
- Let your device boot back to OS and confirm everything is working as it should
- Head over to this thread and root your device exactly as per instructions there
- Let your device boot back to OS and confirm everything is working as it should and you have root access as well
- Do Not apply any other mods or anything else until all steps in this guide are complete or OTA will fail!
Step 2 - Restoring One Modded File Back to Stock
Next we need to restore one modded file that was necessary for the root method from the previous step back to stock in order to allow the OTA to complete successfully
- Download the prepare_param.zip attachment I have in this post to your computer/device and unzip the prepare_param.sh file inside it
- Move the prepare_param.sh file to your device SD card (internal or external doesn't matter)
- Using app like Root Explorer, move the prepare_param.sh file from your SD card location to replace the one located already in /system/bin/
- It should ask you if you want to replace the file (if it doesn't ask you are moving to the wrong location)
- Once it is moved, set the permissions on that file to rwxr-xr-x (Important!)
Step 3 - Enabling Survival Mode and Taking the OTA
For the final step, we need to enable "Survival Mode" in the SuperSU app to force keeping root through taking the OTA
- Open your SuperSU app and in the settings list, place a check in the option called "Survival Mode"
- You may have to purchase the SuperSU Pro app for this option to appear (highly recommended purchase for future purposes if you care about root on your devices)
- Make sure that "Survival Mode" option is enabled you WILL lose root after taking the OTA with no way of going back!
- After ALL the above is done, just take the OTA as regular from the Software Update screen (Settings > "More" tab > About phone > Software update)
- Once the OTA completes flashing entirely (should be 5-10 minutes) and boots back into to the OS, you should now be updated to Android 4.3 and have complete root access like before
WARNING: This guide is anyone that has a device on full VRUAME7, VRUDMI1 buids or above. Anyone still on VRUAMDK please do not take ANY OTAs or you will lose your Loki/Bootloader access for good!