[Q] Questions about Microsoft New EULA and interop-unlock

Search This thread

bruce142

Jun 18, 2013
1.9 Are there things I can’t do on the Services? You must not use the Services to harm others or the Services. For example, you must not:
•Use unauthorized software or hardware to access the Services or modify an Authorized Device in any unauthorized way (e.g., through unauthorized repairs, unauthorized upgrades, or unauthorized downloads). You agree that we have the right to send data, applications or other content to any software or hardware that you are using to access the Services for the purpose of detecting an unauthorized modification and/or disabling the modified device; or
•Attempt to disassemble, decompile, create derivative works of, reverse engineer, modify, further sublicense, distribute, or use for other purposes the Services, any game, application, or other content available or accessible through the Services, or any hardware associated with the Services or with an Authorized Device. If you do, we may cancel your account and your ability to access the Services, and pursue other legal remedies. We may take any legal action we deem appropriate against users who violate our systems or network security, this Agreement or any additional terms incorporated or referenced in it. Such users may also incur criminal or civil liability.

Source : Xbox Live Terms of Usage

I'm getting a popup that I should accept the new end users agreement when trying to install a new app or check my Xbox Achievements, I have however a few questions about this paragraph above (I have honestly never seen this before) :

- Is it safe to accept if I have interop-unlocked my Samsung Ativ S, installed the BootStrapper.xap and EnableAllSideLoading.xap, WP8Tools and WP Tweaks from -W_O_L_F- and GoodDayToDie and jessenic.

- I'd used proxies provided by reker and others on XDA-Developers to access some manufacturing exclusive apps (like Nokia apps)

- Should I be worried if I accept that they can block and/or delete my Xbox account, I have saved a fair amount of temporally free store apps and I don't want to lose them.

If so, should I be better off to switch back to Android because they "allow" (turning a blind eye to) rooting your phone or tablet?

Please help me guys, I'm starting to freak out (I haven't accepted the new version of the EULA yet).

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Terms like that have traditionally been part of the XBL EULA, but in the past they've always related to cheating or piracy on the console itself. People certainly have gotten their accounts banned for that, which is part of why I have nothing to do with such things. As for whether it's "safe" to accept... eh. If they want to, they can easily argue that you broke the EULA (and forfeited your account) when you interop-unlocked your phone, but they haven't - so far as I know - ever tried to attack individuals or their devices. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do anything so foolish, either. Both Google and Apple have disabled peoples' accounts in the past for EULA/TOS violations - Apple for iOS hacks, Google for incredibly stupid <REDACTED> like breaking the Real Name Policy on G+ - and so for that matter has Microsoft, for something almost as idiotic (if you want to take risqué photos with your phone, make damn sure auto-upload is off even if your SkyDrive profile is set to private; they've called it a TOS violation and suspended, though not quite completely disabled, peoples' accounts for that). Every single one I've heard of resulted in a flood of bad PR, and not in the "all PR is good PR" sort of way... more like calls for lawsuits, and accusing anybody who uses that platform of being an idiot.

If there's one thing Microsoft cannot afford to do with regard to Windows Phone right now, it's give people another reason *not* to buy it. We are probably safe.

bruce142

Jun 18, 2013
Yes, but WP8 is gaining popularity so maybe they won't do it now but in the future they probably will. Was this clause also present at the time of the interop-unlocking of WP7? If so, you are probably right. But as a precaution is it possible to lock out Microsoft from checking if modifications are made to the system (like you did with the relock solution redirect the data to a different proxy)?

the_nutria

Sep 2, 2013
if you want to take risqué photos with your phone, make damn sure auto-upload is off even if your SkyDrive profile is set to private; they've called it a TOS violation and suspended, though not quite completely disabled, peoples' accounts for that

Are you sure of that? It means they watch the photos we take? I don't think so... maybe they used it as an image hosting and shared the link everywhere in the internet...