FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

QX10 & QX100 Camera

1,512 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,043

By hamdogg, Senior Member on 5th November 2013, 10:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Right.....

So thanks to @Style68 and his ingenuity (See thread) there is a simple method to creating your own case for the Xperia Z Ultra that fits the QX10/100... EXCELLENT!!

But what I'm wondering is will you buy a lens now knowing you can have a case that fits the lens?? (I'm guessing yes.. )
But more importantly, which lens will you buy?? So here's what we know...

Even though the QX100 has a sensor that is 4 times bigger than the QX10, and would take great photos in almost any lighting condition, it wont take RAW images.. so I can't really see it bing used as it was intended. And that price!!
- is this massive price increase something you would still consider??

For me I instantly want the best... however for a prosumer camera, I would still use my DSLR for those great images. So I think i'll still go for the QX10.. What will you do?
Similarly if you own either the Q10 or Q100 let us know what you've purchased, and how its worked out. Hopefully this thread will help us out as what to buy...

5th November 2013, 11:08 PM |#2  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Thanks hamdogg. I was wondering about the RAW image format. Is it possible for Sony to update it's firmaware or software to support RAW?
The Following User Says Thank You to Style68 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Style68 Ad-Free
5th November 2013, 11:22 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Zealand

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style68

Thanks hamdogg. I was wondering about the RAW image format. Is it possible for Sony to update it's firmaware or software to support RAW?

Thanks for your post buddy!! Its gonna help a lot of us out.

Yeah I don't see Sony doing that. a single RAW image would take 10-20mb of space, and transferring that to the device after taking a snap would take too long. I think thats what Sony are considering.
Novice users probably wouldn't use RAW, so I'd still love to see Sony have the option...
6th November 2013, 04:09 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
QX10 sensor is the same as Z1, correct? I'm thinking of getting QX10 as well, since I already have the RX100.
6th November 2013, 04:30 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Zealand

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaynal

QX10 sensor is the same as Z1, correct? I'm thinking of getting QX10 as well, since I already have the RX100.

The Z1 has a 27mm equivalent fixed lens, a fast aperture of F2, 20.7 megapixel 1/2.3-type Exmor RS image sensor.
The QX10 has a 35mm, 10x zoom lens, faster aperture of F3.3 20.7 megapixel 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS image sensor.

So while they have the same Exmor RS sensor, the QX10 has more lens diameter, better aperture for low light / colour depth / reduced noise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamdogg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hamdogg Ad-Free
6th November 2013, 09:57 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 151

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamdogg

The Z1 has a 27mm equivalent fixed lens, a fast aperture of F2, 20.7 megapixel 1/2.3-type Exmor RS image sensor.
The QX10 has a 35mm, 10x zoom lens, faster aperture of F3.3 20.7 megapixel 1/2.3-inch Exmor RS image sensor.

So while they have the same Exmor RS sensor, the QX10 has more lens diameter, better aperture for low light / colour depth / reduced noise.

I think you've gotten a bit confused -

Focal Length
The Z1 has a 27mm fixed lens which means it is a wider angle lens than the QX10's 35mm. In English this means it will have a wider viewing angle allowing you to fit more people into your shot when you take photos indoors in small spaces.

Winner: Z1

Low Light Performance
The Z1 has a f2.0 lens which means it allows more light through to the sensor than the QX10's f3.3 lens.
I presume that the ISO settings are pretty much the same but the QX10 may have a slight advantage. But based on the aperture of the lens alone the Z1 has the advantage.

Winner: Z1

Composure Flexibility
The key advantage of the QX10 is the 10x optical zoom lens. This allows you to zoom in and out to get the right composure without having to move your feet. It also allows you to get in close to the action where it may not be physically possible to reach with the Z1.

Winner: QX10

I'm definitely not saying the Z1 is better than the QX10 as my gut feeling is that the QX10 has better optics (lenses) than the Z1. The Z1 does have 'G' quality glass lenses which I believe is Sony's pro-grade camera lens - perhaps equivalent to Canon's L-series (I'm not sure on this though). It would be great to see side by side comparisons of the photos from both of these devices to really know what's better. But for us Xperia Z Ultra users our choices to improve our photo taking ability are limited. Personally I've bought a wifi SD card for my digital cameras to allow me to use a real camera to take photos and then transfer them wirelessly to my phone. I'm waiting on my card to be delivered but will let you know how it goes once I get it.
6th November 2013, 10:56 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
I'd rather save for a Fuji X100s if I'm gonna be carrying a separate camera. Because let's face it the QX is a separate camera with no viewfinder or lcd screen shaped like a lens.

ಠ_ಠ
On mobile....
6th November 2013, 11:47 AM |#8  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithleyson

I'd rather save for a Fuji X100s if I'm gonna be carrying a separate camera. Because let's face it the QX is a separate camera with no viewfinder or lcd screen shaped like a lens.

ಠ_ಠ
On mobile....

It's all about size. I can stick the QX100 in my jacket pocket and not worry about using a carrying case. Any phone that equals in quality is too big to just stick in your pocket. I don't care that it takes a little time to get it ready because I usually take it with me when it is planned that I will take pictures.
6th November 2013, 01:37 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 104

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style68

It's all about size. I can stick the QX100 in my jacket pocket and not worry about using a carrying case. Any phone that equals in quality is too big to just stick in your pocket. I don't care that it takes a little time to get it ready because I usually take it with me when it is planned that I will take pictures.

You have a point. However there are other better alternative though like the Ricoh GR, or X10, or RX100. At least those alternatives taken better pictures than the QX.
13th November 2013, 07:11 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Just ordered one
1saleaday has it on sale for $199 and free shipping and there's no tax on top, so i decided to order one

http://1sale.com/electronics/cameras-video/sony/

it'll take about two weeks to get delivered to me (in time for thanksgiving), once i get it, i'll post my user review and opinion
10th December 2013, 08:59 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag New Zealand

Donate to Me
More
I just got back form an exercise, used a friends Galaxy S4 and my recently arrived QX10... here are the images.
(have been resized) Couldn't use my Ultra, as its not back yet...

Amazing difference!!

Galaxy S4 (i9505)

DSC-QX10
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)