Kingo root malware?

192 posts
Thanks Meter: 37

By DustinKimble, Senior Member on 7th November 2013, 03:26 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
9th November 2013, 03:32 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
You can explore the processes on the phone with root. I've rooted with both design gears and kingo. Nothing is different

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th November 2013, 03:40 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 628

More
Does Kingo root require a factory reset?

sEnt from thE noTe 3
9th November 2013, 07:00 PM |#23  
Flag Lüneburg
Thanks Meter: 8

More
No, it doesn't.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ledierck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ledierck Ad-Free
9th November 2013, 09:19 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Just wondering sense XDA was worried about the IMEI being sent to kingo and kingo now removed that from happening in there 1.1.2 version. Which I asked on FB if they had remove the program from doing this now and the answer was yes it no longer sends out your IMEI to them. Can anyone confirm this is true on XDA?? Cause seems like people trust XDA and also want to trust in this new root by Kingo which also seem to be trying to be trust worthy. Just trying to find out if it's accepted by XDA yet so others will be at ease.
10th November 2013, 07:41 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 389

More
Removing it now doesn't remove the rightful suspicion of what they did earlier.

Who knows what they added instead?
10th November 2013, 08:36 PM |#26  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Valhalla
Thanks Meter: 5,524

Donate to Me
More
There is no question to whether it's legit or it works. There has been nothing said to suggest that the integrity of the Kingo developers is in question.
What XDA is concerned with is the fact that your devices Serial number and IMEI numbers are collected during the root process. This is something which is not necessary at all in order to achieve root. They also use free servers in China in order to minimize cost to themselves.
That is the concern. The reason you have seen back and forth on the subject is that it takes time for developers to reverse engineer the process to see exactly what it does.
So XDA at this time has taken a position that links to the Kingo or vRoot methods will not be posted on XDA. You are free to use Google and search it out and use any method you want. You aware of the risks just like any other mod you do your device.
Kingo has said they are correcting this and will be coming out with an app which will be self sustained and connection to their servers will not be necessary. They say it will be 2.0
Until such happens we will not be allowing the links, but you can discuss it all you want.
To be accusing the Kingo developers of doing underhanded things is just wrong and total made up speculation. XDA has to take the communities safety as priority #1.
Just look at this way would you take a screen shot of your devices status screen posting all your IMEI and personal information on a public forum on a site of developers and hackers?
It's always better to error on the side of safety.

EFM

Have a great day!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ragnar Ad-Free
10th November 2013, 09:23 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfunkycold

There is no question to whether it's legit or it works. There has been nothing said to suggest that the integrity of the Kingo developers is in question.
What XDA is concerned with is the fact that your devices Serial number and IMEI numbers are collected during the root process. This is something which is not necessary at all in order to achieve root. They also use free servers in China in order to minimize cost to themselves.
That is the concern. The reason you have seen back and forth on the subject is that it takes time for developers to reverse engineer the process to see exactly what it does.
So XDA at this time has taken a position that links to the Kingo or vRoot methods will not be posted on XDA. You are free to use Google and search it out and use any method you want. You aware of the risks just like any other mod you do your device.
Kingo has said they are correcting this and will be coming out with an app which will be self sustained and connection to their servers will not be necessary. They say it will be 2.0
Until such happens we will not be allowing the links, but you can discuss it all you want.
To be accusing the Kingo developers of doing underhanded things is just wrong and total made up speculation. XDA has to take the communities safety as priority #1.
Just look at this way would you take a screen shot of your devices status screen posting all your IMEI and personal information on a public forum on a site of developers and hackers?
It's always better to error on the side of safety.

EFM

Have a great day!

edfunkycold

thank you for responding and giving a great response on why and what's what. i do understand the risks on all root methods and understand what happen from the start was wrong by them. which made it shady and at least there trying to clean up there act and hopefully they prove that all data collected on rooters that was collected has been deleted. i also know xda's priority #1 is safety and I trust in this site as do others that's is why I asked on here to start with. I was just unclear on somethings and believe u cleared them up for me and I'm sure others. I hope everyone keeps up the great work here and didn't mean to offend anyone or the site in original post at all. If I did I'm truly sorry.
12th November 2013, 07:29 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by klau1

Removing it now doesn't remove the rightful suspicion of what they did earlier.

Who knows what they added instead?

Pretty much. They basically confirmed they were doing it. Closed source exploit with mandatory internet connection required...is fishy, to say the least.

Also, anyone know if the data is collected after rooting or before hand, like when installing drivers.

The reason i ask is i downloaded and installed the application on my pc just to see the format, connected my already rooted N4 and just gave me an unroot option (i didnt click or use anything). I'm wondering if my imei is in some chinese guys laptop by now...
12th November 2013, 09:34 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny18pr

Just went back to stock. But still afraid of the imei stuff

How did you unroot your device? used the Unroot button from Kingo root?
12th November 2013, 02:04 PM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 288

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackj30

How did you unroot your device? used the Unroot button from Kingo root?

No. I flashed via odin stock firmware

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to manny18pr For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manny18pr Ad-Free
12th November 2013, 03:22 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny18pr

No. I flashed via odin stock firmware

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ok. Just don't know if the unroot button from kingo root works

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread